F Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I mentioned it because I think if you haven’t watched the majority of the big names in the age group, trying to formulate who are the top three players in the draft is worthless at this point. Hype does not exactly correlate to ability. As I said, there’s certainly a chance that someone who is informed and has a good grasp on all the best 2022 draft eligible would suggest other names for those spots than the three most talked about names two and a half years prior to the draft.

Besides, first overall is not the same as top 3. People are aware at this point that McDavid would go 1OA. They probably were not aware of who’d go 1OA in any of the ten most recent drafts, besides 2015. And you are missing the point to think that just because you’ve heard a name it means you have a good grasp on each player’s ability. That’s why I asked how many of the top 50 players you’ve watched.

Your question is flawed, as is the strawman argument you are trying to build. Who are the top 50 players for this draft? If you know them all, post your list.

There is a significant difference between a potential first overall pick and most of the prospects on a top 50 list. Stop being obtuse.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Your question is flawed, as is the strawman argument you are trying to build. Who are the top 50 players for this draft? If you know them all, post your list.

There is a significant difference between a potential first overall pick and most of the prospects on a top 50 list. Stop being obtuse.

How about the top 10 players? Why are you afraid of answering and why are you getting abrasive about a simple question?

It seems clear that you don't like being questioned about this ridiculous idea that the three most talked about 2022 prospects on this website are the only ones in contention for some hypothetical 1OA discussion two and half years prior to the draft. If you don't know the crop of players well enough, say so. It comes off as more unknowledgeable to start claiming the only 1OA candidates are the very few players you know about.

Then again, maybe you do know the crop well and don't want to discuss that, but I've asked you the same question a few different ways now, and you don't seem to want to answer. It appears that you don't know the crop, which is no shame. Most people don't, but you shouldn't start claiming you know who the 1OA candidates because you have sufficient knowledge on three players in the draft.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
How about the top 10 players? Why are you afraid of answering and why are you getting abrasive about a simple question?

It seems clear that you don't like being questioned about this ridiculous idea that the three most talked about 2022 prospects on this website are the only ones in contention for some hypothetical 1OA discussion two and half years prior to the draft. If you don't know the crop of players well enough, say so. It comes off as more unknowledgeable to start claiming the only 1OA candidates are the very few players you know about.

Then again, maybe you do know the crop well and don't want to discuss that, but I've asked you the same question a few different ways now, and you don't seem to want to answer. It appears that you don't know the crop, which is no shame. Most people don't, but you shouldn't start claiming you know who the 1OA candidates because you have sufficient knowledge on three players in the draft.

So do you think back in say 2002 when people were proclaiming Sid was the best 15yo in the world and a #1 overall candidate for 05 they were also giving a top 10 list to give the claim merit? Wright is probably the best 15yo Canadian since McDavid, that alone is enough to say he is a candidate for 1st OA, and if you watch him play its easy to see why making a claim is fine without knowing every single player in the draft.

Obviously a lot can and will change in the next 2.5 years but given the level of players we generally see selected as the top pick, Wright has shown that he is at least on par or even further ahead of where that player would be expected to be at this point. Development is far from linear, but again, nobody is saying he is the only candidate either.

Reactions: Wings4Life and QJL

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So do you think back in say 2002 when people were proclaiming Sid was the best 15yo in the world and a #1 overall candidate for 05 they were also giving a top 10 list to give the claim merit? Wright is probably the best 15yo Canadian since McDavid, that alone is enough to say he is a candidate for 1st OA, and if you watch him play its easy to see why making a claim is fine without knowing every single player in the draft.

Obviously a lot can and will change in the next 2.5 years but given the level of players we generally see selected as the top pick, Wright has shown that he is at least on par or even further ahead of where that player would be expected to be at this point. Development is far from linear, but again, nobody is saying he is the only candidate either.

Thats great, but it doesn't address the discussion where Wings4Life discussed his top three candidates for the 2022 draft. He seemed pretty sure that these are the three guys in contention for the top spots in 2022, yet doesn't seem to want to divulge much about his knowledge of the other players in the draft. Apparently if anyone was as good as those three, they'd have more hype on this website. That must be sufficient to decide who the best players are at any given point.

I don't even disagree with your contention about Wright. I mentioned that I think he's easily a 1OA caliber of player and if he doesn't go 1OA, it'll be because there's another 1OA type of player in the same draft. However, I don't think we should start projecting the top spots in a draft until we see all the best players from the draft.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Have not had the opportunity to see him play yet but am very excited about his potential. Where would he be ranked among the past under-aged exceptional players and how does he compare to the past No. 1 picks in the NHL entry draft?

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Have not had the opportunity to see him play yet but am very excited about his potential. Where would he be ranked among the past under-aged exceptional players and how does he compare to the past No. 1 picks in the NHL entry draft?
He's more John Tavares than he is Connor McDavid in terms of how he approaches the game & his work ethic. Incredibly smart player, saw him last night & he just makes everyone around him better. Kingston is building a team to be incredible around him 2 years down the road. As he ages & fills out his body you'll see him go from just always being in the right spot to straight up dominating kids. I bet he torches the O as early as next season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Wright is definitely better than Day, definitely worse than McDavid. Very likely better than Veleno, and then somewhere in the Ekblad and Tavares range. I think he's probably better than Ekblad. Ekblad was one of the weaker 1OA's. He might've not went 1OA in a year with a good 1OA candidate. Tavares was at least an average 1OA caliber of player at the time. His production was ridiculous and he had a very good skill-set, but for a 1OA, his skating was mediocre. It's hard to exactly compare Wright and Tavares because Wright is an early birthday, Tavares is a late birthday. It's almost always not a good idea to compare early and late birthday players with the draft.

I think Wright is trending towards at least being an average 1OA caliber of player, and maybe slightly better than that. I wouldn't say he looks like the top caliber of 1OA caliber of player because thats usually the McDavid's, Dahlin's who are projected as generational or near generational. Wright probably comes in just below that somewhere in the Eichel, Matthews, MacKinnon category. His game reminds me of a blend between Eichel and Seguin, Eichel going 2OA in the McDavid draft, Seguin going 2OA in 2010. And where he'll actually go in the draft isn't something we know now. We don't know who all the best 2022 draft eligibles are, and even among the better ones, it's too hard to predict who'll be the best at the draft in 2022.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Wright is definitely better than Day, definitely worse than McDavid. Very likely better than Veleno, and then somewhere in the Ekblad and Tavares range. I think he's probably better than Ekblad. Ekblad was one of the weaker 1OA's. He might've not went 1OA in a year with a good 1OA candidate. Tavares was at least an average 1OA caliber of player at the time. His production was ridiculous and he had a very good skill-set, but for a 1OA, his skating was mediocre. It's hard to exactly compare Wright and Tavares because Wright is an early birthday, Tavares is a late birthday. It's almost always not a good idea to compare early and late birthday players with the draft.

I think Wright is trending towards at least being an average 1OA caliber of player, and maybe slightly better than that. I wouldn't say he looks like the top caliber of 1OA caliber of player because thats usually the McDavid's, Dahlin's who are projected as generational or near generational. Wright probably comes in just below that somewhere in the Eichel, Matthews, MacKinnon category. His game reminds me of a blend between Eichel and Seguin, Eichel going 2OA in the McDavid draft, Seguin going 2OA in 2010. And where he'll actually go in the draft isn't something we know now. We don't know who all the best 2022 draft eligibles are, and even among the better ones, it's too hard to predict who'll be the best at the draft in 2022.

Dahlin is not in McDavid’s tier either, stop trying to lump the two together.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
If having the best season an 18 year old defenseman has had in over 35 years isn't enough to belong in McDavids tier I don't know what is.

Before being drafted, Dahlin put up historic SHL numbers, he was 1 point of the all time U18 point record for any player in the SHL despite being a defenseman that did not get PP time, he played in the WJC as a 16 year old on a stacked defense, that is comparable to McDavid as a prospect no doubt, and in the NHL Dahlin probably had the better rookie season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
stop trying to lump the two together.

Stop trying to put words in my mouth. I didn't say the two are of the same caliber. I did say there's a difference between where Dahlin's level pre-draft and the level of players such as Matthews, Eichel, MacKinnon pre-draft. Most agree with that opinion. You can go look at any number of polls that have been conducted in the poll section in recent years.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

This is you, quite literally lumping the two together:

I wouldn't say he looks like the top caliber of 1OA caliber of player because thats usually the McDavid's, Dahlin's

Dahlin is not in McDavid’s class as a player, nor was he considered in McDavid’s class as a prospect. They shouldn’t be grouped together.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is you, quite literally lumping the two together:

Dahlin is not in McDavid’s class as a player, nor was he considered in McDavid’s class as a prospect. They shouldn’t be grouped together.

I'm done with your bullshit. You are going on ignore.

There's a full sentence there. You cropped out the part that didn't fit your narrative.

I have no idea why anyone would be so interested in playing police officer on the internet for things people didn't even say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad