F Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Half the time, I'm not really sure why Kingston makes some of the moves they do. Constantinou isn't even a final year player. He can return next season as well, so it's not your typical "trade away a 19 year old because you suck this year" type move you see in junior.

Not only that but in the link it says that Kingston got back a 3rd round selection and a 4th rounder.

I don't follow trades in the OHL that closely but it seems like really low value to me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
First time watching this guy play.

Incredible talent, in my opinion. If 2022 has a better talent, it's because the draft has more than one 1OA caliber of player.

Wright is good in every regard of the game, and he's doing this against players a year older than him. I wouldn't compare him to McDavid, but I'd say he deserved ES based off what I can see.

He reminds me of a player like Jack Eichel. I can understand the earlier comparisons someone made to Seguin. Some type of great skating RH shot center who plays with speed, power, skill and IQ.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
First time watching this guy play.

Incredible talent, in my opinion. If 2022 has a better talent, it's because the draft has more than one 1OA caliber of player.

Wright is good in every regard of the game, and he's doing this against players a year older than him. I wouldn't compare him to McDavid, but I'd say he deserved ES based off what I can see.

He reminds me of a player like Jack Eichel. I can understand the earlier comparisons someone made to Seguin. Some type of great skating RH shot center who plays with speed, power, skill and IQ.

I'd keep an eye on Tristan Luneau from Quebec. Best defenseman I've seen at that age. Poirier wasn't even in that ballpark. But yeah, Wright, Flemming and Savoie are great as well. 2022 looks loaded.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I'd keep an eye on Tristan Luneau from Quebec. Best defenseman I've seen at that age. Poirier wasn't even in that ballpark. But yeah, Wright, Flemming and Savoie are great as well. 2022 looks loaded.
and Brad Lambert who wasnt even named here

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Lambert as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I should clarify, if it wasn’t clear, I’m not declaring him as the #1 pick. That would be stupid, unless he was a generational talent. I’m merely saying that he looks like a 1OA caliber of talent. A few recent drafts, there wasn’t even 1 player who stood out in that regard. I’d argue 2019, 2020 and likely 2021 are all going to be those sort of drafts after some recent drafts like 2015, 2016 and 2018 that had those level of talents.

2022 might have more than one player of that caliber. There’s no guarantee he’ll go 1OA. I don’t even see the point in speculating about who’ll be 1OA for a draft that’s over two years away, but I think Wright looks like that caliber of talent over two years out from the 2022 draft. I think that’s something that can be judged earlier than the draft order.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Wright looks fantastic against players close to his own age. His agility, hockey IQ, and shot placement are all off the charts for his age. He already has more than enough size for the NHL, even if he stops vertical growth in the near future. Playing against a higher level of competition (OHL) than anyone else in his draft year is doing wonders for him. The league has really pushed his development to the limit, and he's risen to the occasion. Looks like a night and day difference from the player I saw at the CWG, where he looked promising but not as much of a sure bet to reach that ceiling of his as he looks like now.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Looked good in today’s game even though he did not score.

Was on the ice when Canada tied it up with the goalie pulled, helping apply pressure in the Czech’s end for an extended shift.

In overtime, Wright (who was at the end of his shift) managed to catch up to an older Czech boy who was on a breakaway, and disrupt him enough to make him bobble the chance. Was a nice example of his defensive work and his skating.

He also buried his shootout attempt.

Solid game all round by a future star against a bunch of older kids.

Reactions: Dominance

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Hoping we get to see round 2 of The Shaneiac vs Razzmatazz Chaz. In meeting one, when they played for Don Mills and Gentry, it didn’t disappoint!

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Wright with another good night. Had several big moments in overtime and came up clutch when it mattered, beating the American goaltender with a nice backhand in OT.
I was more impressed by the excellent defensive play he made about 30 seconds earlier, where he created what should have been a breakaway but looked to be hooked in some fashion, to no call. Awesome to see that the kid just shook it off, kept playing hard, and made the perfect shot when it all paid off.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I was more impressed by the excellent defensive play he made about 30 seconds earlier, where he created what should have been a breakaway but looked to be hooked in some fashion, to no call. Awesome to see that the kid just shook it off, kept playing hard, and made the perfect shot when it all paid off.

I likely would have been impressed by that too, but my feed got laggy more than a few times today.

Reactions: Dominance

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Wright ends the tournament with 7 points (4g, 3a) in 5 games, making it into the top 10 in tournament scoring. He had a better tournament overall then Savoie and Lambert (neither of whom cracked the top 10). Hope he continues to do well in the OHL, his development this year has been impressive.

Is he slowly building his Nr.1 draft pick hype?

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Is he slowly building his Nr.1 draft pick hype?

It is WAY too early to predict draft order. Give it another year and a half for these kids.

Still if we're looking ahead, there are three candidates for the 1st overall pick right now between him, Savoie, and Lambert. If the draft were today, I would select Shane Wright at 1st overall, but so much can change over one year, nevermind 2.5 years.

We may see one of these three guys fall off over that time, or perhaps a fourth challenger will appear over the next two years. The 2022 draft seems like it could be very strong.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
It is WAY too early to predict draft order. Give it another year and a half for these kids.

Still if we're looking ahead, there are three candidates for the 1st overall pick right now between him, Savoie, and Lambert. If the draft were today, I would select Shane Wright at 1st overall, but so much can change over one year, nevermind 2.5 years.

We may see one of these three guys fall off over that time, or perhaps a fourth challenger will appear over the next two years. The 2022 draft seems like it could be very strong.

But comparing to Auston Matthews can we say, he is better in his age?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Still if we're looking ahead, there are three candidates for the 1st overall pick right now between him, Savoie, and Lambert.

The majority of the best Canadian players haven't even reached junior hockey, and we still don't even know who the majority of the best players from USA, Finland, Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic are because most people don't watch these age groups. Lambert is a late 2003 born player, so he's had nearly a year extra of development on some of the younger players in the 2022 draft.

I think your larger point is true that we can't come up with a draft order yet, but unless there's a McDavid caliber of player, projecting the 1OA pick at this point doesn't make much sense. Wait a year until these kids are in junior hockey for the one's in NA or at U-20 for the European players. We'll also get a better idea once they play the WHC17. It might not be too early to compare players like Wright, Savoie and Lambert, but there's certainly a chance there's a very good player who is a 1OA candidate that most people just haven't heard of yet because most draft fans do not know about all the best 15 year old hockey players.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
The majority of the best Canadian players haven't even reached junior hockey, and we still don't even know who the majority of the best players from USA, Finland, Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic are because most people don't watch these age groups. Lambert is a late 2003 born player, so he's had nearly a year extra of development on some of the younger players in the 2022 draft.

I think your larger point is true that we can't come up with a draft order yet, but unless there's a McDavid caliber of player, projecting the 1OA pick at this point doesn't make much sense. Wait a year until these kids are in junior hockey for the one's in NA or at U-20 for the European players. We'll also get a better idea once they play the WHC17. It might not be too early to compare players like Wright, Savoie and Lambert, but there's certainly a chance there's a very good player who is a 1OA candidate that most people just haven't heard of yet because most draft fans do not know about all the best 15 year old hockey players.

The three I mentioned are considered the top three 2022 eligible prospects for now. Things can and likely will change. Development is not linear and over the next 2.5 years others will make massive strides. We don't have great insight into the lower leagues but if a prospect was outperforming the Savoie/Wright/Lambert trio, chances are we would have heard about the kid by now. Other resources like EP also list these guys as the three top prospects for the 2022 draft. The fact that two of the three play at a higher level also sets them apart in a good way from nearly all other prospects their age (who are playing Midget AAA for example).

I agree though, draft order for me won't really begin to take shape until the end of next season (so spring 2021) when it comes to the 2022 draft.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The three I mentioned are considered the top three 2022 eligible prospects for now. Things can and likely will change. Development is not linear and over the next 2.5 years others will make massive strides. We don't have great insight into the lower leagues but if a prospect was outperforming the Savoie/Wright/Lambert trio, chances are we would have heard about the kid by now. Other resources like EP also list these guys as the three top prospects for the 2022 draft. The fact that two of the three play at a higher level also sets them apart in a good way from nearly all other prospects their age (who are playing Midget AAA for example).

Then let me ask this. How many of the best 50 or so players from the 2022 draft have you seen play?

I think expecting that you would've been informed by now from posters on this website about players who are better than those players is very faulty reasoning.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Then let me ask this. How many of the best 50 or so players from the 2022 draft have you seen play?

I think expecting that you would've been informed by now from posters on this website about players who are better than those players is very faulty reasoning.

Nobody mentioned a top 50 list. We're discussing potential candidates for first overall. First overall picks may not necessarily be pegged as such yet, but the hockey world is typically aware of those types of players by age 15-16, which is the current age of 2022 draft eligible prospects right now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nobody mentioned a top 50 list. We're discussing potential candidates for first overall. First overall picks may not necessarily be pegged as such yet, but the hockey world is typically aware of those types of players by age 15-16, which is the current age of 2022 draft eligible prospects right now.

I mentioned it because I think if you haven’t watched the majority of the big names in the age group, trying to formulate who are the top three players in the draft is worthless at this point. Hype does not exactly correlate to ability. As I said, there’s certainly a chance that someone who is informed and has a good grasp on all the best 2022 draft eligible would suggest other names for those spots than the three most talked about names two and a half years prior to the draft.

Besides, first overall is not the same as top 3. People are aware at this point that McDavid would go 1OA. They probably were not aware of who’d go 1OA in any of the ten most recent drafts, besides 2015. And you are missing the point to think that just because you’ve heard a name it means you have a good grasp on each player’s ability. That’s why I asked how many of the top 50 players you’ve watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad