F Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Savoie has 0 points in 3 games and -3 thus far. We can start to understand to grant only one exceptional status. Shane is more mature and was ready to do this full time. CHL is the best league in the world and it takes a special talent to be able to do what Shane is doing. Today he had 2 assists in a very crazy game vs Ottawa losing 8-7 in OT but what a game !!

Savoie is stuck right in the middle. He is far to good for midget just not quite sticking it out in the WHL. Of course he doestn get the benefit of playing every game and practice with the team.

Reactions: Dominance

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Savoie is stuck right in the middle. He is far to good for midget just not quite sticking it out in the WHL. Of course he doestn get the benefit of playing every game and practice with the team.

I’m not trying to criticize Savoie because I haven’t seen the kid play, but should a guy considered a 1OA candidate struggle to be an effective player in the WHL at his age? He’s only a year younger than the youngest age group in the league and there are always at least a few effective rookies in that youngest age group. There’s a difference between being an instant high impact player and being able to hold your own or be a good player in a league where the overwhelming majority of players will not play professional hockey. There aren’t that many talented players suiting up each game.

And maybe it’s more about a lack of familiarity, ice time, off ice adjustment that is why he’s not had the instant success that Wright has, but it doesn’t seem like the strongest argument can be made, if he simply is not playing well. Maybe that’s not the case though.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I’m not trying to criticize Savoie because I haven’t seen the kid play, but should a guy considered a 1OA candidate struggle to be an effective player in the WHL at his age? He’s only a year younger than the youngest age group in the league and there are always at least a few effective rookies in that youngest age group. There’s a difference between being an instant high impact player and being able to hold your own or be a good player in a league where the overwhelming majority of players will not play professional hockey. There aren’t that many talented players suiting up each game.

And maybe it’s more about a lack of familiarity, ice time, off ice adjustment that is why he’s not had the instant success that Wright has, but it doesn’t seem like the strongest argument can be made, if he simply is not playing well. Maybe that’s not the case though.

The manner in which they were brought in is entirely different because one got exceptional status and the other didn't.

Through Wright's first 3 games he had 1 goal on 3 shots (33.33% shooting), and was 16 for 35 (45.71% faceoffs) on the faceoff dot while being a -1. All 3 of those games were the first 3 games Kingston played.

Savoie played in Winnipeg's first two games of the season and again in their 6th while playing games with RHA in between. Through those 3 games Savoie had 0 goals on 11 shots and took zero faceoffs while being a -3, two of those goals against came in an absolute 7-0 spanking by Edmonton in his 3rd game.

Not only has Wright had a much bigger chance to establish himself by playing more games, he has been able to consistently practice with the team and also has been given a much bigger role as Savoie was playing wing the moment he stepped in.

I still think Savoie is a more skilled player but Wright is definitely showing he belongs in the OHL. Unlikely Savoie gets much of an opportunity to do that until later on in the season. RHA goes on a big hiatus until the 25th of October and Winnipeg plays Saskatoon in back to back games at home on the 19th and 20th, good chance Savoie plays in one or both of those games.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Anyone think that is weird that there isn't a big hype around Shane? Because i think it is. 1st overall draft pick, gets the 15 year special
status thing, had a sick season last season as 14 and 15 year old, i have never seen someone score so many goals and points in a one season in a very long time. - anywhere -

Only 8 pages??? Insulting.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Anyone think that is weird that there isn't a big hype around Shane? Because i think it is. 1st overall draft pick, gets the 15 year special
status thing, had a sick season last season as 14 and 15 year old, i have never seen someone score so many goals and points in a one season in a very long time. - anywhere -

Only 8 pages??? Insulting.
If you had given him the attention you’ve fixated on Fleming, this thread would be 25 pages long already. ;)

In general, I really do appreciate your thread bumps.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Savoie has 0 points in 3 games and -3 thus far. Shane has 4 goals 5 assists in 9 games now. We can start to understand why the CHL decided to grant only one exceptional status. Shane is more mature and was ready to do this full time. CHL is the best league in the world and it takes a special talent to be able to do what Shane is doing. Today he had 2 assists in a very crazy game vs Ottawa losing 8-7 in OT but what a game !!

Question is, who are their line-mates? How are they.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
He is doing way better what McDavid in his OHL rookie season + Erie Otters >>> Kingston Frontenacs

how do you figure? McDavid scored at a 1.04 clip his rookie season. so far 9 game in Wright is 1.00 PPG. by no metric is that "doing way better". and in 2012-13 the Erie Otters were pretty much in the same boat as K. bottom of the standings.

Reactions: Garyboy

connor82

Apr 11, 2019
why can Savoie play whl if he didnt get the ex. status? i guess he can play only 5 games this seasons!? thx for answer

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
how do you figure? McDavid scored at a 1.04 clip his rookie season. so far 9 game in Wright is 1.00 PPG. by no metric is that "doing way better". and in 2012-13 the Erie Otters were pretty much in the same boat as K. bottom of the standings.

Standings??? Yeah but looking at the players he played with and his role in the team, big difference.
Erie had players like Connor Brown, Adam Pelech, Dane Fox, Darren Raddysh, just to mention few.

This Kingston Frontenacs team doesn't have single even a 35 point player in their roster
- zero drafted to the NHL

top 10 (Wright not included)

2. F Nick Wong 2001 born (138 career games, best season, 26 points)
3. F Zayde Wisdom 2002 born (60 games last season, 10 points)
4. F Vitali Pinchuk 2002 born rookie
5. D Billy Constatinou 2001 born (119 career games, best season, 32 points)
6. F Jordan Fraska 2001 born (80 career games, best season 23 points)
7. D Jakob Braheney 1999 born (211 career games, best season 29 points)
8. F Dennis Kolovatchev 2001 born (67 career games, last season, 3 points
9. F Arcuri Francesco 2003 born rookie

The rest are 0-15 point players

Last edited:
Reactions: tealhockey

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Standings??? Yeah but looking at the players he played with and his role in the team, big difference.
Erie had players like Connor Brown, Adam Pelech, Dane Fox, Darren Raddysh, just to mention few.

This Kingston Frontenacs team doesn't have single even a 35 point player in their roster
- zero drafted to the NHL

top 10 (Wright not included)

2. F Nick Wong 2001 born (138 career games, best season, 26 points)
3. F Zayde Wisdom 2002 born (60 games last season, 10 points)
4. F Vitali Pinchuk 2002 born rookie
5. D Billy Constatinou 2001 born (119 career games, best season, 32 points)
6. F Jordan Fraska 2001 born (80 career games, best season 23 points)
7. D Jakob Braheney 1999 born (211 career games, best season 29 points)
8. F Dennis Kolovatchev 2001 born (67 career games, last season, 3 points
9. F Arcuri Francesco 2003 born rookie

The rest are 0-15 point players

yeah, Erie had a few better players but where a poor team nonetheless. trying to tie Wright to McDavid using that measuring stick is a bit of a reach. but hey, fill your boots.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The manner in which they were brought in is entirely different because one got exceptional status and the other didn't.

Through Wright's first 3 games he had 1 goal on 3 shots (33.33% shooting), and was 16 for 35 (45.71% faceoffs) on the faceoff dot while being a -1. All 3 of those games were the first 3 games Kingston played.

Savoie played in Winnipeg's first two games of the season and again in their 6th while playing games with RHA in between. Through those 3 games Savoie had 0 goals on 11 shots and took zero faceoffs while being a -3, two of those goals against came in an absolute 7-0 spanking by Edmonton in his 3rd game.

Not only has Wright had a much bigger chance to establish himself by playing more games, he has been able to consistently practice with the team and also has been given a much bigger role as Savoie was playing wing the moment he stepped in.

I still think Savoie is a more skilled player but Wright is definitely showing he belongs in the OHL. Unlikely Savoie gets much of an opportunity to do that until later on in the season. RHA goes on a big hiatus until the 25th of October and Winnipeg plays Saskatoon in back to back games at home on the 19th and 20th, good chance Savoie plays in one or both of those games.

No doubt both Savoie and Wright are in contention for 1A in 22.

It might just be that Wright is more CHL ready right now (physically mature and big enough) but that has little to no bearing in their respective draft status right now as they still both have 2 more junior seasons to show their stuff.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada

Hi, Winnipeg ICE season ticket holder here:

Savoie is -3 (which is symptomatic of poor goaltending more than anything IMO)

Here are my excuses for him anyways:
- Savoie plays on the third/fourth line with players much slower than he is and players who have never scored well in junior hockey.
- He's had some really great flashes in the games he's played. His skating is evident when he has the chance which isnt often (see above point)
- He was robbed once and his teammates have flubbed a few chances including a breakaway pass he gave.
- He doesn't get any powerplay time, even though its clear IMO that he's more skilled than other players who have been given time.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

- Savoie plays on the third/fourth line with players much slower than he is and players who have never scored well in junior hockey.
- He's had some really great flashes in the games he's played. His skating is evident when he has the chance which isnt often (see above point)
- He was robbed once and his teammates have flubbed a few chances including a breakaway pass he gave.
- He doesn't get any powerplay time, even though its clear IMO that he's more skilled than other players who have been given time.

Also playing on the wing, he hasn't taken a single faceoff in his 3 games. RHA doesnt play this weekend so he should get at least one of the two games against Saskatoon. Might even play both. Hopefully they give him some reps at center.

Reactions: LainePeg

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Good to hear. It sounds more like bad coaching than the player isn't as good as previously thought.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I've found Shane Wright to be more promising than Savoie for some time myself. Still, I don't have quite a stable opinion on how good Wright is, exactly. Still, his route and performance so far have been quite superior to Savoie's, who in my opinion is being overhyped by the recent "Western Canada hype inflation". Wright also doesn't need to grow anymore. Still, the start of his season's solid and he's shown that he's able to play in OHL already, at this point in time. I think a PPG pace would be a great season for him and would be in line with even the highest of projections. In my opinion, it's quite a legitimate opinion to have Wright as the #1OA of the 2022 draft at this point in time, after showing he's able to play at the OHL level to this extent already. It remains to be seen how this will develop, as Lambert's been rapidly improving to start the season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've found Shane Wright to be more promising than Savoie for some time myself. Still, I don't have quite a stable opinion on how good Wright is, exactly. Still, his route and performance so far have been quite superior to Savoie's, who in my opinion is being overhyped by the recent "Western Canada hype inflation". Wright also doesn't need to grow anymore. Still, the start of his season's solid and he's shown that he's able to play in OHL already, at this point in time. I think a PPG pace would be a great season for him and would be in line with even the highest of projections. In my opinion, it's quite a legitimate opinion to have Wright as the #1OA of the 2022 draft at this point in time, after showing he's able to play at the OHL level to this extent already. It remains to be seen how this will develop, as Lambert's been rapidly improving to start the season.

It's too early to start projecting who 1OA will be in 2022. The only players talked about at this point are any super-hyped Europeans, and the CHL players. There are still the American players to see how they compare to the rest, and the Europeans who aren't super-hyped early on like Lambert. Dahlin was a player who wasn't talked about as a 1OA candidate at this point, and then a year later he was the presumptive favorite for 1OA.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's too early to start projecting who 1OA will be in 2022. The only players talked about at this point are any super-hyped Europeans, and the CHL players. There are still the American players to see how they compare to the rest, and the Europeans who aren't super-hyped early on like Lambert. Dahlin was a player who wasn't talked about as a 1OA candidate at this point, and then a year later he was the presumptive favorite for 1OA.
I don't think it's too early to discuss #1OA, as long as we recognize that things can change. We know there are Americans, though, like Maddox Fleming who seems to be considered #1 for his country right now. It's not like they're unknown at this point in time. If some of them develop at a rapid rate then that can be taken into consideration, but that doesn't mean we need to close our eyes to the current situation.

Also, I'd argue that Dahlin in 2018 wasn't against as high calibre competition as this draft's looking to be.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think it's too early to discuss #1OA, as long as we recognize that things can change. We know there are Americans, though, like Maddox Fleming who seems to be considered #1 for his country right now. It's not like they're unknown at this point in time. If some of them develop at a rapid rate then that can be taken into consideration, but that doesn't mean we need to close our eyes to the current situation.

Also, I'd argue that Dahlin in 2018 wasn't against as high calibre competition as this draft's looking to be.

Some posters who watch more American prospects say Rutger McGroarty is looking better than Flemming. So much can change in almost 3 years. We wont really know who the true front runners are until these kids are about 16 and we can see how they all stack up in league and international play.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Some posters who watch more American prospects say Rutger McGroarty is looking better than Flemming. So much can change in almost 3 years. We wont really know who the true front runners are until these kids are about 16 and we can see how they all stack up in league and international play.
For sure man. McGroarty looks like an animal right now but I don't know how many 15 year old stars have fallen off. We draft them young at 18, probably we have a sense of who the names will be for first overall just due to the nature of it, but so much is liable to change

ijuka

May 14, 2016
We know who the front runners are currently, but the front runners can change. That's different from not knowing who the front runners are. Both of these Americans played in WSI, not like they're in a total bubble. And alright, I was just going by twitter scout accounts' opinions. Not like I've ever seen any of these Americans play meaningful(club) games.
was going to @ him on that... don't think he can even deny it. Hes already in the shane wright thread talking about lambert :laugh:
Impressive mental gymnastics to get that out of my post. Try reading what I say next time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad