F Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That actually makes him a late-born, meaning he had 4 years of eligibility in the CHL before he could be drafted.

It actually is quite impressive, seeing as how in the 5 that have been picked since, 4 have been Born in the first half of January (McDavid, Veleno, Wright, Day) and Ekblad was the youngest one - born in Feb. Even "pseudo-exceptional" player Savoie was born on Jan 1.

Makes me wonder if or when we will ever see someone as young as JT be granted the status again
Its a very rare case, and most elite Canadians recently have been born early in the year. Patrick went 2 and Makar went 4, in what was generally regarded as a very weak draft at the time. Americans seem to be the opposite outside of Jack Hughes, with Matthews, Eichel, Kane, Jones and Kessel all being late birthdays.

Spezza played a full season at 15, and likely would have qualified for exceptional status under the current CHL rules (previously, any 15 year old could play in the OHL, as long as their local team deemed them worthy to play, but were then entered into the OHL entry draft before there 16-year-old season). He was born in mid-June. Bouwmeester is actually an interesting case, he remains the youngest player to make the WJC team in his D-3 due to being a late-birthday and making it at 16. I'm not too familiar with how he was viewed in AAA outside of the fact he was the #1 player in his Bantam draft, but considering the hype around him and the fact he made the WJC team only mid-way through his first WHL season, probably not farfetched to think he would have had a shot at exceptional status.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Another stat that people might not be aware of.....

last year’s Frontenacs team set an all-time OHL record for fewest goals scored in a season.

This is a team with very little offensive upside and, quite frankly, it’s 51 and not much else.

The Fronts team is so bad that I was actually expecting Shane to finish somewhere in the 40-45 point range and for stat watchers to call him a bust. I’m VERY impressed with what he’s done so far to say the least.

I'm actually surprised Kingston didn't bring in someone talented to play with Wright. Even if they were going to lack the depth, typically you at least surround the guy with a linemate or two that can help him flourish right away.

But then again nothing should surprise me with that organization.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Lazutin outscored Wright at WHC U17, but he's just 2+2 after 16 gp in the MHL. It's hard to compare MHL vs CHL, when they don't play one vs the other.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Lazutin outscored Wright at WHC U17, but he's just 2+2 after 16 gp in the MHL. It's hard to compare MHL vs CHL, when they don't play one vs the other.
Successful tournament players aren't necessarily successful league players.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

So what? I would expect him to given that he is a 2021 draft eligible and was playing with the best Russia players for this age group, whereas Wright is playing in his first junior season as an underager and was playing on 1/3 of the Canadian team.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So what? I would expect him to given that he is a 2021 draft eligible and was playing with the best Russia players for this age group, whereas Wright is playing in his first junior season as an underager and was playing on 1/3 of the Canadian team.

Don't Canadian tournament organizers consider those Canadian teams on par with all other teams or do they say, our teams are just 1/3 of the real Canadian team, so they suck and don't judge them hard?

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Don't Canadian tournament organizers consider those Canadian teams on par with all other teams or do they say, our teams are just 1/3 of the real Canadian team, so they suck and don't judge them hard?

I very much doubt that Hockey Canada feels that Canada Black is better than or even on par with Russia, USA, Sweden, etc (although they have beaten them on some occasions). The purpose is to get a greater number of players experience with Hockey Canada and international competition. Splitting the age group into 3 teams dilutes the quality of each team, meaning Wright was not playing with all of the best players of the age group on his team, like Latuzin was. I'm not sure what is hard to understand about this.

Last edited:

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah I think they try to divide up the teams to have a couple well known studs on each team, and then fill them in with other deserving players to give them some Hockey Canada experience (as alluded to by the other guy that replied to you). It certainly nerfs the Canadian teams a little bit, and could possibly be their little way of making an excuse for losing, but they're still 3 strong teams.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
They usually do, though.
Tell that to Toni Rajala.

To be fair, though, it could simply be that Wright's more mature and readier to play vs such competition at a young age. That still doesn't necessarily mean he'll be as dominant in the future.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
I'm actually surprised Kingston didn't bring in someone talented to play with Wright. Even if they were going to lack the depth, typically you at least surround the guy with a linemate or two that can help him flourish right away.

Agree for the most part, but Zayde Wisdom has looked like a solid player from the games I’ve seen

Reactions: jehkob

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I guess it helps when fully go through puberty at 10 years old lol

he’s one of the oldest looking 15 year olds I’ve ever seen lmao

Obviously he already was a known force with exceptional status, but he’s tracking like a verrryyy big deal. Next mega-draft prospect?

And I hate projecting 15 year olds out this far but Wright is in major junior so I think it’s somewhat more projectable.

Reactions: Dominance

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
he’s one of the oldest looking 15 year olds I’ve ever seen lmao

Obviously he already was a known force with exceptional status, but he’s tracking like a verrryyy big deal. Next mega-draft prospect?

And I hate projecting 15 year olds out this far but Wright is in major junior so I think it’s somewhat more projectable.

Guy seems to be good the question is would we be still be hyping him the same amount if he was born 6 days earlier.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011

Well they drafted Martin Chromiak 2nd overall in the CHL import draft. I’m sure he would have added a nice element to a line with Wright. Unfortunately, in typical Kingston fashion, they didn’t do their homework and Chromiak stayed in Europe.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's

It's all about building for 2 years down the road when he's in their draft year. While I don't agree with a lot of what the Fronts have done over the past couple years, letting Gilmour walk and bringing in Jeff Twohey was a very smart move for their organization. Twohey has ran some VERY successful OHL clubs in Peterborough and Oshawa, between stints with the Arizona Coyotes scouting department, where he was the head of amateur scouting for a while. I have faith in him at the very least to build a competitor over the next two seasons.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I'm not too familiar with how he was viewed in AAA outside of the fact he was the #1 player in his Bantam draft, but considering the hype around him and the fact he made the WJC team only mid-way through his first WHL season, probably not farfetched to think he would have had a shot at exceptional status.

OT but IIRC, Whitney has brought up the fact he was hearing Bouwmeester’s name since he was like 12, and how hyped he was from a very young age on Chiclets. Talked about it multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad