F Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
This kid is clearly ahead of Veleno at 15. I was and still am a big fan for JV but Wright is just so much more dangerous. His shot and offensive instincts are up there with Tavares at that age and his skating is better. Kingston is a bad offensive team and he's just below point per game so far with 10 goals already - the real deal for sure

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
WJC next year??

I don’t think so, 16 year olds are reserved for the truly elite of the elite on Hockey Canada. In fact, I believe the only 2 to make it in the last 15 years are Crosby and McDavid. Who he isn’t near as good as at 16. I’d say it’s an extreme long shot.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
I don’t think so, 16 year olds are reserved for the truly elite of the elite on Hockey Canada. In fact, I believe the only 2 to make it in the last 15 years are Crosby and McDavid. Who he isn’t near as good as at 16. I’d say it’s an extreme long shot.

Technically we have no idea how good he is at 16 - hes still 15. As for WJC it will be very hard like you said, but Wright is the best to come along for Canada since McDavid - not saying he is that good but we can't completely write him off yet. Longshot for sure, but it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

Let's wait a year and see where he is

Reactions: Garyboy

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
At this point I think it is highly unlikely he's in the running for next year's WJC. but I would put him on the u18 team in April along with Savoie to see how they do. Everybody will remember how 16 year old McDavid ripped that tournament a new one. I doubt Wright puts in a McDavidesque type of tournament, but if he holds his own and starts next year on fire...he may get some consideration. A lot of ifs there, but as of today, I would say no to Wright on next year's U20 team.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
At this point I think it is highly unlikely he's in the running for next year's WJC. but I would put him on the u18 team in April along with Savoie to see how they do. Everybody will remember how 16 year old McDavid ripped that tournament a new one. I doubt Wright puts in a McDavidesque type of tournament, but if he holds his own and starts next year on fire...he may get some consideration. A lot of ifs there, but as of today, I would say no to Wright on next year's U20 team.

Yeah, next years team looks quite strong, obviously never say never though.
And I'm not sure Savoie will be available for the U18 ;)

Reactions: Dominance

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
Technically we have no idea how good he is at 16 - hes still 15. As for WJC it will be very hard like you said, but Wright is the best to come along for Canada since McDavid - not saying he is that good but we can't completely write him off yet. Longshot for sure, but it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

Let's wait a year and see where he is
Well as of right now hes not much under McDavid ES year. He's tracking good so far

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
For example,.. one Connor McDavid scored 25 goals, 66 points in 63 games as a 15 year old rookie in the OHL
(turned 16 early January, just like Shane will turn 16, early January).

And comparing this Fronts roster to that Otters roster... Otters > Fronts

They’re two totally different players though, just watching them you can see (IMO at least) that 15 year old McDavid was much more explosive and a better player then 15 year old Wright. Their stats may end up being similar, Wright’s may even be better but the ice test supports that McDavid was better and had a clearer path to being an NHL superstar then Wright does.. although this isn’t and shouldn’t be taken as a slight towards Wright but more of a compliment as to just how good 15 year old McDavid was and how much potential you could see in the kid.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
For example,.. one Connor McDavid scored 25 goals, 66 points in 63 games as a 15 year old rookie in the OHL
(turned 16 early January, just like Shane will turn 16, early January).

And comparing this Fronts roster to that Otters roster... Otters > Fronts
Do you think Shane Wright will be scoring 14 points at this season's u-18s?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They’re two totally different players though, just watching them you can see (IMO at least) that 15 year old McDavid was much more explosive and a better player then 15 year old Wright. Their stats may end up being similar, Wright’s may even be better but the ice test supports that McDavid was better and had a clearer path to being an NHL superstar then Wright does.. although this isn’t and shouldn’t be taken as a slight towards Wright but more of a compliment as to just how good 15 year old McDavid was and how much potential you could see in the kid.
In my eyes, Wright is behind McDavid and JT at the same age, and those are the only two guys who've gotten exceptional status who I had no questions about. McDavid clearly possessed the clearest traits that would make him elite at the next level. JT just had a 6th sense about knowing where to be at all times, and finishing when the opportunity presented itself. I mean, he put up 23 points in 16 games in the OJHL as a kid who should've still been in Bantam. Wright's good, but I wouldn't be going crazy yet. If we are playing the counting stats game (which it what it appears we are doing with the poster you responded to), Tavares numbers destroyed McDavid's 15 and 16-year-old years despite JT being 9 months younger. No one would have watched both though and taken JT over McDavid long-term. Similar to how a significant portion of scouts viewed Stamkos ahead of JT after their respective 16 and 17-year-old seasons due to JT's skating and how dynamic Stamkos was in comparison.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Another stat that people might not be aware of.....

last year’s Frontenacs team set an all-time OHL record for fewest goals scored in a season.

This is a team with very little offensive upside and, quite frankly, it’s 51 and not much else.

The Fronts team is so bad that I was actually expecting Shane to finish somewhere in the 40-45 point range and for stat watchers to call him a bust. I’m VERY impressed with what he’s done so far to say the least.

Cenzhin

Mar 2, 2018
Calgary
To give some context, Connor McDavid scored 66 in 63 on a stronger team and with less of his points coming from goals.

To be fair, Tavares scored 75 in 66 - although again on a better team.

Either way you twist it, Wright’s numbers are extremely promising.
Tavares was a true 15 year old though. Turned 15 on Sept. 20, right when the season started. Wright was born 5 days away from playing in the CHL this year without ES. Impressive nonetheless.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Tavares was a true 15 year old though. Turned 15 on Sept. 20, right when the season started. Wright was born 5 days away from playing in the CHL this year without ES. Impressive nonetheless.

That actually makes him a late-born, meaning he had 4 years of eligibility in the CHL before he could be drafted.

It actually is quite impressive, seeing as how in the 5 that have been picked since, 4 have been Born in the first half of January (McDavid, Veleno, Wright, Day) and Ekblad was the youngest one - born in Feb. Even "pseudo-exceptional" player Savoie was born on Jan 1.

Makes me wonder if or when we will ever see someone as young as JT be granted the status again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad