F Seth Jarvis - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2020, 13th, CAR)

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Part of the problem with Bob's list this year is he released it so early. He tends to release it very close to the draft. I understand the draft moved this year to October. But I dont understand why he couldnt release his list in late September for example?

Especially now with some players playing in Europe it would be nice to see an updated list from Bob...I dont get it.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Drew a penalty shot tonight in OT and won the game for Portland. Despite being one of the smaller players on the ice, he fights hard to get to the net and fights for position screening the goalie. You see flashes of what he can do with the puck, just needs more time to develop. Really excited to see him be "the man" next year.

Im just reading one of your reports on Jarvis. It looks like he might be around 14th pick when Oilers pick. How would you compare him to Yamamoto?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Was at this game. Saw this deke live. It looked like Jarvis went into bullet time out of the Matrix. Not sure if he's a Baertschi or a Panarin. I think he lacks the dynamics necessary to be an elite player at the NHL level but the kid's stickhandling is unreal. What's fun is my seats are always right next to where NHL scouts sit and this kid had that game in front of one of the biggest sellouts of scouts I've ever seen at a T-Birds game.

Good report. Is he big enough for the NHL grind and how far away is he?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I picked for Anaheim in our mock draft. I selected him at 6. Laf, Stützle, Byfield, Drysdale, and Rossi were off the board when I selected.

He’s small but he does so many things that are valuable in today’s nhl. He possesses the puck, he flips the ice, he creates time an space, he’s smart and patient, he plays fast with great skill, he’s a skilled scorer and playmaker.

He checks off so many of the important boxes when looking for a high end player.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Im just reading one of your reports on Jarvis. It looks like he might be around 14th pick when Oilers pick. How would you compare him to Yamamoto?
I'd say Yamamoto is a better passer but Jarvis is a better stick handler and has a great compete level on the forecheck and defensively. I dont know if yam has that effort defensively or not, it's just something very noticable in Jarvis' game that often goes overlooked for a skilled winger like him. Hes not Mark Stone but I can definitely see him being a good PKer at the NHL level that could threaten to score with his offensive abilities.

edit: see post below for more yam information

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShowBizPizzaBear

TheShowBizPizzaBear

Aug 27, 2019
Edmonton
I'd say Yamamoto is a better passer but Jarvis is a better stick handler and has a great compete level on the forecheck and defensively. I dont know if yam has that effort defensively or not, it's just something very noticable in Jarvis' game that often goes overlooked for a skilled winger like him. Hes not Mark Stone but I can definitely see him being a good PKer at the NHL level that could threaten to score with his offensive abilities.
I remember Yamamoto getting a lot of praise in his draft year for his compete level and he played on the PK for Spokane that year too. He was clearly the offensive driver on his team, like Jarvis and was trusted with defensive responsibilities by his coaches that were unusual for a star forward in their draft year. Yam's skating got knocked a lot though and was seen as a big red flag for a small player in spite of his offensive production, like with Alex Debrincat in 2016, while Jarvis' skating gets a ton of praise.

Reactions: canucklax

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
I remember Yamamoto getting a lot of praise in his draft year for his compete level and he played on the PK for Spokane that year too. He was clearly the offensive driver on his team, like Jarvis and was trusted with defensive responsibilities by his coaches that were unusual for a star forward in their draft year. Yam's skating got knocked a lot though and was seen as a big red flag for a small player in spite of his offensive production, like with Alex Debrincat in 2016, while Jarvis' skating gets a ton of praise.
Thank you for the information, I didn't recall how he was used in Spokane back then so I didn't want to say it was something he hadn't done, just was something very noticeable about Jarvis. Jarvis also gets some knocks on his skating as he has good top speed and is very elusive but isn't Barzal fast which many think small forwards need.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Thank you for the information, I didn't recall how he was used in Spokane back then so I didn't want to say it was something he hadn't done, just was something very noticeable about Jarvis. Jarvis also gets some knocks on his skating as he has good top speed and is very elusive but isn't Barzal fast which many think small forwards need.

I think he’s just as fast as Kane, Gaudreau, Arvidsson, Keller. Skating will not be a problem for Jarvis.

(Stutzle is on the Barzal skating level)

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Part of the problem with Bob's list this year is he released it so early. He tends to release it very close to the draft. I understand the draft moved this year to October. But I dont understand why he couldnt release his list in late September for example?

Especially now with some players playing in Europe it would be nice to see an updated list from Bob...I dont get it.

Bob McKenzie's semi-retired, that's why, and the scouts he always asks to help him for his lists are currently either scouting the '21 draft class, putting the finishing touches on their team's list for october, or enjoying time off, hence the lack of an updated list.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

i seen Yam play in 2018 and he wasn’t ready. Fast forward to this year and bam, he was a new man

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Good report. Is he big enough for the NHL grind and how far away is he?

Probably the second most impressive player I watched live last year. I thought Adam Beckman from Spokane was better. But Jarvis has this cerebral approach to the game that was uncanny and god-given. I thought he was undersized and wasn't noticeably fast but he has a sixth sense for offense. Which is why I reported earlier that I didn't know if he'd be a Baertschi or a Panarin.

Jarvis seems to physically be far away and I don't know if there's enough there to his game for him to be a major impact player if this sixth sense for offense doesn't translate. He has incredibly otherworldly offensive gifts but if he can survive in the NHL and be able to play that game in the dirty areas remains to be seen.

But I saw him almost a year ago and these kids develop so fast now that a lot of my concerns could be completely unfounded.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Probably the second most impressive player I watched live last year. I thought Adam Beckman from Spokane was better. But Jarvis has this cerebral approach to the game that was uncanny and god-given. I thought he was undersized and wasn't noticeably fast but he has a sixth sense for offense. Which is why I reported earlier that I didn't know if he'd be a Baertschi or a Panarin.

Jarvis seems to physically be far away and I don't know if there's enough there to his game for him to be a major impact player if this sixth sense for offense doesn't translate. He has incredibly otherworldly offensive gifts but if he can survive in the NHL and be able to play that game in the dirty areas remains to be seen.

But I saw him almost a year ago and these kids develop so fast now that a lot of my concerns could be completely unfounded.

Jarvis is definitely underdeveloped physically but with his speed and smarts I wouldn't worry that much about it. I'd bet that he takes 2 years minimum to make the NHL but will play at around 5'11" or 6'0", 185-190lbs.

Reactions: B33K33PING

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jarvis is definitely underdeveloped physically but with his speed and smarts I wouldn't worry that much about it. I'd bet that he takes 2 years minimum to make the NHL but will play at around 5'11" or 6'0", 185-190lbs.

How many times does Jarvis get outmuscled? How many times does he get thrown on his ass (cf. to Perfetti)? He seems to have incredible balance for his age.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
How many times does Jarvis get outmuscled? How many times does he get thrown on his ass (cf. to Perfetti)? He seems to have incredible balance for his age.

I think he does a far better job of fighting through traffic than Perfetti and Raymond, for sure. Similar size, better balance and lower body strength. I still can't believe how criminally underrated this guy is.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax

I think Bob retired this summer. He's going to do a bit of work related to draft, he is no longer a full-time hockey commentator/analyst.

Reactions: DaveG

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I picked for Anaheim in our mock draft. I selected him at 6. Laf, Stützle, Byfield, Drysdale, and Rossi were off the board when I selected.

He’s small but he does so many things that are valuable in today’s nhl. He possesses the puck, he flips the ice, he creates time an space, he’s smart and patient, he plays fast with great skill, he’s a skilled scorer and playmaker.

He checks off so many of the important boxes when looking for a high end player.
I am not familiar with the term "flips the ice." Could you elaborate, please?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Very high on this kid, high IQ, high compete, great skating. Thought earlier this year there was a chance he'd slip past 15 or so but I think it's a lot less likely now for some reason. Makes plays out of nothing a lot of the time.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
To those who know more:

What are the chances he's gonna play in the NHL as a center or do you see him more as a winger at the top level?

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Seen Ehlers play numerous times in Halifax. Great set of wheels

For the same age I think it’s pretty close! I think Jarvis is shiftier and Ehlers has better top notch speed and acceleration. But where I think they differ is that Jarvis weaponizes his movements with quick changes of direction (among other deception tactics), to sneak into the middle of the offensive zone to complete a pass or take a shot. In the same play Ehlers would probably be “Ehlers” and skate a huge circle through the whole zone, untouched, only to dump off the puck to a tired teammate and leave the ice. I love Nikolaj but he’s going to need to use that speed to get into better positions on the ice and then he’ll be a PPG player. Jarvis doesn’t seem to have that issue at the WHL level and I think he’ll figure it out at the NHL level too. Smart, fast and deceptive. Hope the Jets get him at pick #10

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
For the same age I think it’s pretty close! I think Jarvis is shiftier and Ehlers has better top notch speed and acceleration. But where I think they differ is that Jarvis weaponizes his movements with quick changes of direction (among other deception tactics), to sneak into the middle of the offensive zone to complete a pass or take a shot. In the same play Ehlers would probably be “Ehlers” and skate a huge circle through the whole zone, untouched, only to dump off the puck to a tired teammate and leave the ice. I love Nikolaj but he’s going to need to use that speed to get into better positions on the ice and then he’ll be a PPG player. Jarvis doesn’t seem to have that issue at the WHL level and I think he’ll figure it out at the NHL level too. Smart, fast and deceptive. Hope the Jets get him at pick #10

Ehlers is one of the most puzzling players in the NHL and the biggest puck hog too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad