F Nicholas Robertson - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2019, 53rd, TOR)

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
As a Leafs fan I'm starting to get frustrated -- this kid can never stay healthy.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I feel like this kid could be the next Conor Garland. It took Garland a little while to get there. So maybe have some patience.
I mean he just turned 20 last month.

People have high expectations because he debuted at 18, but he’s still a year+ younger than when guys like Kapanen became regulars and he’s the same age as Amirov.

A Garland/Gallagher hybrid would be unreal for a late 2nd rounder. Better shot than both.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Eh, someone going knee on knee with him is going to be hard for anyone to deal with. That's not really glass, but definitely bad luck.
Definitely back luck but at some point you have to accept he is injury prone.

Since turning pro, Nick hasn’t been able to play more than 30 games in a season. Those 2 seasons are the most critical from a developmental standpoint too.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Since turning pro, Nick hasn’t been able to play more than 30 games in a season. Those 2 seasons are the most critical from a developmental standpoint too.

I don't think he's necessarily injury prone, but maybe attributable to an inappropriate play style relative to his strengths.

Robertson is a a smaller player who has a uniquely elite shot, a little on the slower side lacking explosive separation speed and would probably benefit from picking up the Cole Caufield method: ghost on a play, get open, present a passing target and let her rip, never get mixed up in the physical stuff you're not built to handle.

But at the moment, he really likes to play a dogged forecheck game and really get mixed up physically. All good from a work ethic point of view and you love the fight in the dog. But it leaves him vulnerable to getting hit, absorbing more physical contact that he should getting hurt.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Eh, someone going knee on knee with him is going to be hard for anyone to deal with. That's not really glass, but definitely bad luck.
The problem is cheap shots should be 20+ suspensions to stop useless turds like Samberg from taking out talent and turning games into utter garbage.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I don't think he's necessarily injury prone, but maybe attributable to an inappropriate play style relative to his strengths.

Robertson is a a smaller player who has a uniquely elite shot, a little on the slower side lacking explosive separation speed and would probably benefit from picking up the Cole Caufield method: ghost on a play, get open, present a passing target and let her rip, never get mixed up in the physical stuff you're not built to handle.

But at the moment, he really likes to play a dogged forecheck game and really get mixed up physically. All good from a work ethic point of view and you love the fight in the dog. But it leaves him vulnerable to getting hit, absorbing more physical contact that he should getting hurt.
Really good way of putting it!

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Caufield can put on the cloaking device but he can also drive play and move the puck / make plays and create opportunities for himself. Robertson, can't do the latter at the NHL level. But i agree, he should probably avoid contact and play in the shadows as a sniper because he doesn't have the other dimension to his game and the injuries are piling up.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Caufield can put on the cloaking device but he can also drive play and move the puck / make plays and create opportunities for himself. Robertson, can't do the latter at the NHL level.
He's only 20 years old doing just that currently at the AHL level, so you know this how exactly?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Caufield can put on the cloaking device but he can also drive play and move the puck / make plays and create opportunities for himself. Robertson, can't do the latter at the NHL level. But i agree, he should probably avoid contact and play in the shadows as a sniper because he doesn't have the other dimension to his game and the injuries are piling up.

Well, he doesn't have the footspeed of a Caufield but there are goal scoring habits he can utilize to survive and thrive out there. It would make him more effective than trying to play a 6'3" power game with a 5'8" frame. It's nice to see him have the heart to want to play like that but from a practical standpoint I guess it's a question of how do we maximize his scoring output, and do we need him trying to be so physically involved when he's not really well suited for it.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Well, he doesn't have the footspeed of a Caufield but there are goal scoring habits he can utilize to survive and thrive out there. It would make him more effective than trying to play a 6'3" power game with a 5'8" frame.
I agree, he shouldn't be trying to carry the puck / dart around. He should just get in the open and create a target for the snipe.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Lol this Sens clown is back again with another bad take.

Wasn't injured on the play and scored in the game. 18pts in 18GP.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Yes. His coaches should tell him to stop playing that way and play to his strengths. And if his coaches are telling him to play that way, like the moron US WJC coach last year that had Caufield screening the goalie on the PP, then they should be fired immediately.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
As a Leafs fan I'm starting to get frustrated -- this kid can never stay healthy.
Yeah. He looked like a steal and now I've pretty much given up hoping for him to be a player. If he turns it around it's a bonus but my optimism is fading rapidly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad