F Nicholas Robertson - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2019, 53rd, TOR)

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
PPG in the AHL at age 20 and you've given up hope?
He cant stay healthy. He's a first round talent but 27 (9 ) games this season, 27 (6) last season, 50 (4) the season before that. The brackets are the number of Leaf games out of that. He's had just over one full season and a deep playoff run worth of games over 3 years.

Yes, I'm losing hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyguyOX

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
He cant stay healthy man.
He stayed healthy the entirety of his OHL career, a couple fluke injuries after turning pro doesn't make him injury prone. Matthews was oft injured early in his career as well, that narrative has now changed.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
He stayed healthy the entirety of his OHL career, a couple fluke injuries after turning pro doesn't make him injury prone. Matthews was oft injured early in his career as well, that narrative has now changed.
If he turns out that will be great. I'm hoping but I'm not counting on it either.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
PPG in the AHL at age 20 and you've given up hope?
you would think how liljegren has come around ppl would be a little more patient, toronto has had a lot of high end prospects join the ranks at young ages... maybe people think the prospects are older than they are because of this

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He cant stay healthy. He's a first round talent but 27 (9 ) games this season, 27 (6) last season, 50 (4) the season before that. The brackets are the number of Leaf games out of that. He's had just over one full season and a deep playoff run worth of games over 3 years.

Yes, I'm losing hope.
So you would have given up on Troy Terry. Took until 24 for him to break out.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Why are we feeding into the one dude saying he's given up hope. He probably did the same for Kadri when it took him 4-5 years to finally make it into the league.

No need to feed negativity - he's 20 and until he's 23/24 I don't think it's fair to give up on the kid. Just needs to get stronger

Reactions: The Wizard

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
So you would have given up on Troy Terry. Took until 24 for him to break out.
I'm not sure what you are after. I don't have to do anything, He'll either make it or not. I'm just not counting on him to be a top 6 forward anymore. At one point that seemed like only a matter of when and now its if. I didn't demand we trade him nor even suggest it. We will see what happens, hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Hope that's ok.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Why are we feeding into the one dude saying he's given up hope. He probably did the same for Kadri when it took him 4-5 years to finally make it into the league.

No need to feed negativity - he's 20 and until he's 23/24 I don't think it's fair to give up on the kid. Just needs to get stronger
Dunno man. Seems weird to me anyone cares but you took it to another level.

Love your idle speculation. Is that a thing now. Don't like an opinion so invent other imaginary offenses in your head?

How's that working out for you?

Don't be so insecure Leaf fans. I want him to succeed, I'm sorry none of you have ever been discouraged by stalled progress and lots of injuries. If you can't see it's hurting his development I can't help you.

I'm not your enemy.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012

Love your idle speculation. Is that a thing now. Don't like an opinion so invent other imaginary offenses in your head?

Don't be so insecure Leaf fans. I want him to succeed, I'm sorry none of you have ever been discouraged by stalled progress and lots of injuries. If you can't see it's hurting his development I can't help you.

I'm not your enemy.
There's no insecurity and I didn't take it to another level. You're hating on a 20 year old kid who has yet to play a rookie season saying "I'm giving up on the kid" . I'm not saying he's a sure fire blue chip prospect. He could very much never amount to an NHL career. But it's insanely cringe and there's a reason not one person is supporting you in this thread.

This is very much what happened with Kadri - and you sound exactly like the people I've dealt with at that time. Drop your ego and acknowledge you made a stupid comment

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
There's no insecurity and I didn't take it to another level. You're hating on a 20 year old kid who has yet to play a rookie season saying "I'm giving up on the kid" . I'm not saying he's a sure fire blue chip prospect. He could very much never amount to an NHL career. But it's insanely cringe and there's a reason not one person is supporting you in this thread.

This is very much what happened with Kadri - and you sound exactly like the people I've dealt with at that time. Drop your ego and acknowledge you made a stupid comment
Hating on? This is insane.

"Oh no, someone worries his development is being ruined by injuries. That man is a traitor! He must have no doubts or he is a blasphemer!"

Your a bit culty. I suggest you come to terms with the fact that some people have different opinions. Since I have not asked to trade him, called his house and called him a bum, declared him a bust or really said anything derogatory about him your fixation on my OPINION is disturbing. I've said I thought it was a given he would be top 6 and now I think it's an if. This has triggered you into a land of irrationality I am not willing to follow you in. I suggest you consider that opinions aren't fact and other people are allowed to look at things differently. It will serve you very well in life.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Hating on? This is insane.

"Oh no, someone worries his development is being ruined by injuries. That man is a traitor! He must have no doubts or he is a blasphemer!"

Your a bit culty. I suggest you come to terms with the fact that some people have different opinions. Since I have not asked to trade him, called his house and called him a bum, declared him a bust or really said anything derogatory about him your fixation on my OPINION is disturbing. I've said I thought it was a given he would be top 6 and now I think it's an if. This has triggered you into a land of irrationality I am not willing to follow you in. I suggest you consider that opinions aren't fact and other people are allowed to look at things differently. It will serve you very well in life.

I'm not your enemy.
You seem to react very emotionally to critiques of your opinion.

If you're going to make a comment like "I thought it was a given he'd be a top 6 player by now" at age 20, then you should expect rebuttals because that's an objectively ambitious claim for any prospect let alone a late 2nd rounder.

Reactions: AuraSphere

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You seem to react very emotionally to critiques of your opinion.

If you're going to make a comment like "I thought it was a given he'd be a top 6 player by now" at age 20, then you should expect rebuttals because that's an objectively ambitious claim for any prospect let alone a late 2nd rounder.
I didn't say "by now" Great story. I also don't understand why you are projecting emotions onto rebuttals.

Yeah. He looked like a steal and now I've pretty much given up hoping for him to be a player. If he turns it around it's a bonus but my optimism is fading rapidly.

This is my great offense. What followed was mental illness.

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I didn't say "by now" Great story.

Yeah. He looked like a steal and now I've pretty much given up hoping for him to be a player. If he turns it around it's a bonus but my optimism is fading rapidly.

This is my great offense. What followed was mental illness.

I agree with you, the responses to your posts are bonkers.

But I do feel like you shouldn't give up that hope just yet.

Robertson was a guy some people were putting in their opening day lineup for the 2020-21 season and in late 2021-22 he's still in the AHL. I think everyone is disappointed with that, Robertson included. But just because the hype got a little out of hand, it shouldn't mean we overreact to him being human. He's a PPG 20 year old AHL player, there's only a handful of those right now.

I find it weird that other people in this thread are suggesting the coaches should take everything that makes him good, throw it in the trash, and just have him float around and shoot. That would be the first player people will throw under the bus when the teams struggling, why would you want players like that?

Reactions: BlueBaron

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I agree with you, the responses to your posts are bonkers.

But I do feel like you shouldn't give up that hope just yet.

Robertson was a guy some people were putting in their opening day lineup for the 2020-21 season and in late 2021-22 he's still in the AHL. I think everyone is disappointed with that, Robertson included. But just because the hype got a little out of hand, it shouldn't mean we overreact to him being human. He's a PPG 20 year old AHL player, there's only a handful of those right now.

I find it weird that other people in this thread are suggesting the coaches should take everything that makes him good, throw it in the trash, and just have him float around and shoot. That would be the first player people will throw under the bus when the teams struggling, why would you want players like that?
As I said previously, we should hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
For anyone else reading this, there’s no news on Nick, and there won’t be for some time. He got injured in early December, at first Leafs medical staff thought there was a chance he could recover without surgery, but shortly after nixed that, and he got season ending shoulder surgery. 6 month recovery, he won’t be back till next year.

He’s had 3 significant injuries I’m aware of, not a crazy number, but 2 were quite big:
- In 2020/21, out ~4 weeks with a knee injury
- In 2021/22, fractured his fibula, missed lots of time (~3 months I think?)
- In 2022/23, season ending shoulder injury/surgery

Whether he’s inherently injury prone, or just unlucky, who knows, but he’s had to deal with some major injuries.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No, he didn't. When we first sent him back to junior the year after we drafted him he injured his wrist which took him out for a little bit, and he had to play with a brace for a significant portion of the season. He wasn't an ironman in junior.

And while Matthews has gotten injured quite a few times, he has rarely been out for an extended period of time. Robertson has.

FightingEmu

Apr 10, 2023
This reminds me of when I gave up on tippett. This is rock bottom for this type of player- people have given up on your supposed "upside", you're not scoring much now (at all really), and even diehard fans are starting to wonder why they got on this wagon to begin with??

I'd love to remind you!

70 goals at that level is not just "pretty good"- its exceptional. Hes related to Jason Robertson so you know the genetics are good, hes got a release that a lot of scouts/cutrent players praise, and hes an instinctual goal scorer.

Here's the thing- if you basically remove the two seasons of injury this would sort of be YEAR ONE for the average player in the NHL. In year one were not looking for a ton of production- just more that he "fits in" and can "keep up". By that metric hes been fine! In fact given his deployment- minimal- hes been downright good- lol!

By that logic year two will be when we look for that 45-55 point pace to show us they can score at a souring line pace at ES. Then the following year youre pushing for that first 70+ point season that proves they're a scoring line player. From there the world is your oyster.

If you follow that extremely common narrative for player development- by next year were only looking for 40-50 points out of him- although we're all.going to hope for more cause he's a bit older. Then the following year- 25/26- youre going to look at a guy scoring 25 goals and 60-70 points and wonder what the upside is?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
This reminds me of when I gave up on tippett. This is rock bottom for this type of player- people have given up on your supposed "upside", you're not scoring much now (at all really), and even diehard fans are starting to wonder why they got on this wagon to begin with??

I'd love to remind you!

70 goals at that level is not just "pretty good"- its exceptional. Hes related to Jason Robertson so you know the genetics are good, hes got a release that a lot of scouts/cutrent players praise, and hes an instinctual goal scorer.

Here's the thing- if you basically remove the two seasons of injury this would sort of be YEAR ONE for the average player in the NHL. In year one were not looking for a ton of production- just more that he "fits in" and can "keep up". By that metric hes been fine! In fact given his deployment- minimal- hes been downright good- lol!

By that logic year two will be when we look for that 45-55 point pace to show us they can score at a souring line pace at ES. Then the following year youre pushing for that first 70+ point season that proves they're a scoring line player. From there the world is your oyster.

If you follow that extremely common narrative for player development- by next year were only looking for 40-50 points out of him- although we're all.going to hope for more cause he's a bit older. Then the following year- 25/26- youre going to look at a guy scoring 25 goals and 60-70 points and wonder what the upside is?
He's not a prospect anymore. He's an oft-injured small mediocre forward. Nothing more.

FightingEmu

Apr 10, 2023
There's nothing but upside here. His perceived value will never be lower and hes actually showing quite well for.anyone paying attention..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad