F Julius Nattinen - JYP, Liiga (2015, 59th, ANA; released)

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
There is no doubt about it. This guy has gone up a level. So impressive. 4 points and 1 period to go still in today's game.

Reactions: Svedu

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
His numbers right now are pretty impressing i must say. Would be fun if he is a late bloomer.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
If he keeps this up, someone is going to sign him. He is ridiculous currently

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Annoying for Anaheim fans. His biggest problem in the AHL was his drive, it was like he didn't want to play. Good for him for finding it I guess, but it's a bummer it happened after the fact.

I wonder if he will come back over.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Imagine if Ducks had just sent him to Liiga on loan instead of having him play in AHL.

Just another example that the NA development path isn't nearly as good as just staying in Liiga. Who knows where he'd be today if he'd never gone to OHL.

Last edited:

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
Annoying for Anaheim fans. His biggest problem in the AHL was his drive, it was like he didn't want to play. Good for him for finding it I guess, but it's a bummer it happened after the fact.

I wonder if he will come back over.

If he keeps this up, he will 100% sure play in NHsl and 100% sure it won't be ducks.

He has amazing shot, skating is good enough, but not great (Barkov/Rantanen level) and he has big body, ok hands and good hockey IQ.

So happy for him and also so happy i can watch him play in Liiga.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Imagine if Ducks had just sent him to Liiga on loan instead of having him play in AHL.

Just another example that the NA development path isn't nearly as good as just staying in Liiga. Who knows where he'd be today if he'd never gone to OHL.
This is kind of ridiculous. The kid had trouble with effort and dedication, it was referred to multiple times within the organization.

Good on him for taking a step forward, but it had to do with him putting the work in, not some NA development style hurting him BS. He's accountable for what he puts into it.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
This is kind of ridiculous. The kid had trouble with effort and dedication, it was referred to multiple times within the organization.

Good on him for taking a step forward, but it had to do with him putting the work in, not some NA development style hurting him BS. He's accountable for what he puts into it.

Agree. He chose NA path (and they develop great players) and it didn't work for him.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
European prospects with drive/intensity issues should almost never go to NA to play junior hockey. They sure aren't going to learn there.

Reactions: Ippenator

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Similar problem with Juolevi, another person who went to NA instead of staying in Liiga. Curious how it works.

And I disagree about it being ridiculous, the data's quite clear. In addition to these we have Julius Honka etc. just about every Finn who went to play in CHL was a disappointment.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Similar problem with Juolevi, another person who went to NA instead of staying in Liiga. Curious how it works.

And I disagree about it being ridiculous, the data's quite clear. In addition to these we have Julius Honka etc. just about every Finn who went to play in CHL was a disappointment.
But do the best Finns go to the CHL now? Have they ever? With the KHL skimming many of the highest-performing Liiga players, and the added extra teams, young players have better options now when staying in Finland. When you look at the Finnish CHL players nowadays, how many of them could get decent minutes on some Liiga team in their draft, or even draft+1 seasons? Not many I'd think.

Puckluck

Jan 8, 2016
There was an interview with Goran Stubb a couple of years ago where he criticized young Finnish players going to North America to advance their careers. He thought that was in general ill adviced, unless they went to the NCAA.

Reactions: Ippenator

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Maybe he'll be a fourth line AHL player like Suomela who led the Liiga in scoring as well. Or in the KHL like Haapala after trying to make it to the NHL after he burned out after his point leading season, or Stromwall... or the countless other Finnish scoring champs and high flyers on the good side of 20. The truth is, the Liiga is absolute garbage right now; like a lot of Euro leagues. Whether that be because less money is spent on hockey overseas, or what I am not 100% sure across the European spectrum-- I'm much more well read on it from a KHL perspective. But the fact is, even if Nattinen signs with an NHL team he has a long ways to go before he's back on an NHL trajectory.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

Maata, Jokiharju Valimaki are solid.

But the numbers are quite staggering. There aren't many converts. Just off a quick guess I think they'd be similar in conversion to most of the non-NA players. At least from a perspective of countries like Sweden, Slovakia, and Germany.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad