F Julius Nattinen - JYP, Liiga (2015, 59th, ANA; released)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I have no idea if Nattinen indicated one way or the other that he was open to moving to NA, but Pereira seems to think they have a shot here:

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
I haven't seen news about where he'll play next season, but if he can't get to the JYP men's team he might aswell go to NA already. A second season played primarily in Mestis would mean that his development has stagnated, I don't think a 2nd round pick should play in Mestis anyway.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
He sounds very interesting from everything I've read from this thread and reports from Ducks prospect camp. Good stats wherever he's played, very excited to follow his progress.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
C Julius Nättinen (2015, 2nd, Ana)

Just signed his ELC, looked impressive in prospect camp and has size (reminds me of Barkov build)

anyone know anything else about him?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Just signed his ELC, looked impressive in prospect camp and has size (reminds me of Barkov build)

anyone know anything else about him?

Classic center type with big body(6'2 195), good skating ability, solid defensive game and really good passing skills and hands. Pretty good finisher too. Good on the powerplay but can be used on the penalty kill as well. Faceoffs need work. He is inconscient and a bit of long term project(3-4 years).

I don't think he has the same upside as Barkov/Kopitar, who he has been compared here. More likely Frans Nielsen/David Legwand type of player(solid 2nd line center).

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I really hope he actually comes over to Barrie. Like him a lot from the little I've seen of him. Would be great to be able to watch him more regularly. I'm really loving this wave of finns and other euros (Sokolov primarily) coming over to CHL. Gonna be the most fun season to watch in quite some time I think.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Very rare that a player who has already played a one full season against men, moves to junior league. Also notable is, that Jyp got rid of Perrin to make room for kids like Julius Nättinen. He had a paved road made for him in Jyp, but chose to go overseas instead.
These things tell something about something. Probably about that how high CHL is regarded around the environment where he has grown up.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
This guy is pretty big, when I saw him at the prospect camp, he has a Barkov-ish body type. Really excited one of my favorite prospects since Lindholm. Seemed to read the play before it happened and got to places before the puck did. I liked watching him a lot.

Minttu

Apr 10, 2012
Very rare that a player who has already played a one full season against men, moves to junior league. Also notable is, that Jyp got rid of Perrin to make room for kids like Julius Nättinen.

JYP got rid of Perrin to save money. JYP replaced Perrin with Joonas Nättinen.

He had a paved road made for him in Jyp, but chose to go overseas instead.

You mean a paved road to JYP-Akatemia? Sure he would have played some games with JYP, but mostly he would have played with JYP-Akatemia.

These things tell something about something. Probably about that how high CHL is regarded around the environment where he has grown up.

Or that JYP is loaded with centers - Löfman, Jo. Nättinen, Lahti, Kanninen, Hotakainen and T. Nättinen (+ Virtanen, JYP-Akatemia).

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
This guy is pretty big, when I saw him at the prospect camp, he has a Barkov-ish body type. Really excited one of my favorite prospects since Lindholm. Seemed to read the play before it happened and got to places before the puck did. I liked watching him a lot.
That is encouriging.
And yes he seems to have a large frame.
The next kopitar? Praying it is but prepared for a bust

Well, you will 99% be very dissapointed if you are expecting Kopitar level player out of him. At this point we have to hope he will become a middle 6 center in the NHL - little bit like Rakell.
Style wise? Yes, even the frame is similar to Kopitar, imo. Although i have not seen him play but from what i`ve read he is responsible defensively.
Great that he is coming over to North America and have a big role in juniors, will be possible to follow closer and then we will have a clearer view of what might come out of him.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Or that JYP is loaded with centers - Löfman, Jo. Nättinen, Lahti, Kanninen, Hotakainen and T. Nättinen (+ Virtanen, JYP-Akatemia).

To be honest, Julius Nättinen is(or would be) ahead of Hotakainen, Kanninen and Virtanen in JYP's center depth.
They will probably go with Joonas Nättinen 1st, Löfman 2nd, Lahti 3rd and Topi Nättinen 4th. Julius Nättinen would be the first guy to replace injured forwards. Most likely he would get more than 50% of the games played in the regular season of Liiga-team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad