F Julius Nattinen - JYP, Liiga (2015, 59th, ANA; released)

Joonas

Feb 8, 2015
I'd be curious to find out what's the definition of being sophisticated in this case?

Personally I don't think he's on the same level as Mikko was when he was at the same age (the draft number alone is pretty much in line with the estimation).

That was maybe a bit random word to use :D What I tried to say is that Nättinen's game is more based on pure skill and hockey IQ than Koivus game. Koivu also has a decent skill level and hockey IQ but he likes to spend more time near the boards, backcheck, use his body and do that kind of hockey's "soilwork".

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Not a bad first year in the OHL at all is say.
52GP
22G
49A
71Pts
Anyone get a chance to watch him?
Did Anaheim get a late 2nd round steal?

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
52GP
22G
49A
71Pts

He has good value for a second rounder for sure. I think he could have been worth a late first round pick at the time and I still do. He has a high floor in my opinion, but his ceiling remains a question. He has a very balanced skill set and I'm confident that he will become at least a good 3rd line center in the NHL, but he seems to have the offensive abilities to become a good top-6 option as well. We shall see.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I really like him. I think he'll be best slotted behind a top center, like Getzlaf.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
52GP
22G
49A
71Pts

I watched many of his games, especially in the first half of Barrie's season. Nattinen has noticeably improved over the course of the season. His offensive instincts have always been impressive but recently, his faceoff-winning percentage has been well above 50% and he's been sound defensively. He regularly sees time on the PK as well as top-PP action.

Nattinen will likely play in the AHL next season then enter the NHL the following season once Nate Thompson's contract expires.

Edit ~ I'll add one more thing. He's an incredibly mature player and always composed with the puck. His vision and hockey IQ is exceptional.

Last edited:

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
He haven't played in last three games. Is he suffering an injury?

Yes, an undisclosed lower body injury that was said to be day-to-day, although I'm beginning to think otherwise. Barrie just swept North Bay without Nattinen and Sadowy. Should both return for their series against Niagara, they stand a good chance of making a long playoff run.

felixhockey

Jan 28, 2016
what happened to this guy this season? not only did his points drop off, but his skating looks worse

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
what happened to this guy this season? not only did his points drop off, but his skating looks worse

I have been wondering the same lately. Does anybody have any knowledge of a nagging injury or some other kind of long term problem that has caused trouble to his development? Really a huge setback in points his last season, when compared to his previous season.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Mediocre top gear and not a whole lot of intensity, this has always been a bit of a problem for him.

Another thing worth noting is that he was very much an early developer. His physical development and the steepest section of his development curve occured much earlier than with most of his peers. This gave him an advantage when he was in his teens, but now this advantage is gone.

As far as his point totals go, playing in a 'second fiddle' role on that deep Spitfires roster might have something to do with it.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
He is simply not NHL material. I can’t see it ever happening that he would be in the NHL. I see a bit above average Liiga player in him. Right now he is not even that, but he might be at his peak.

I hope your wrong and that he can show his doubters wrong, myself included.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
If he continues like this who knows... Well then it wouldn't hurt Flyers (favorite club), Jets or the Rangers franchise with a good center. Imagine if Vesalainen blooms and you get Nättinen between him and Laine? You would get size and skill.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
If he continues like this who knows... Well then it wouldn't hurt Flyers (favorite club), Jets or the Rangers franchise with a good center. Imagine if Vesalainen blooms and you get Nättinen between him and Laine? You would get size and skill.

Don't get ahead of yourself. Still early season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad