F Julius Nattinen - JYP, Liiga (2015, 59th, ANA; released)

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
To be honest, Julius Nättinen is(or would be) ahead of Hotakainen, Kanninen and Virtanen in JYP's center depth.
They will probably go with Joonas Nättinen 1st, Löfman 2nd, Lahti 3rd and Topi Nättinen 4th. Julius Nättinen would be the first guy to replace injured forwards. Most likely he would get more than 50% of the games played in the regular season of Liiga-team.

Is there a requirement to have a surname Nattinen to play C on that team? :laugh:

Anyway - i rather have Nattinen playing constantly in C position all season rather than be the guy who would jump in (very likely) at any forward position during the year.

We know exactly what he will get in Barrie. The coach there said he would be the top center there (i have no idea about the situation there, what is his competition? I figure he will be top6 center for sure).
Plus he will adjust to North American style, start living more independently (further away from family) and our staff will be closer to him. Guys like Marchant can visit him during the year, i figure.

PS
Finn friends - what does ''Nattinen'' means in Finnish?

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Finn friends - what does ''Nattinen'' means in Finnish?

Nätti means pretty.

Then a Finnish lesson straight from Wikipedia:

"Common suffixes are -nen (in oblique form -se-; e.g., Miettinen—Miettisen "Miettinen's"), a diminutive suffix usually meaning "small", and -la/-lä, a locative suffix usually meaning "place of". The -nen suffix was freely interchanged with -son or -poika as late as the 16th century, but its meaning was ambiguous as it could refer not only to a "son", but any member of a patriarch's family, a farm or even a place. For example the surname Tuomonen could mean "Son of Tuomo"or "Farm of Tuomo" or something else belonging to Tuomo."

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Nätti means pretty.

Then a Finnish lesson straight from Wikipedia:

"Common suffixes are -nen (in oblique form -se-; e.g., Miettinen—Miettisen "Miettinen's"), a diminutive suffix usually meaning "small", and -la/-lä, a locative suffix usually meaning "place of". The -nen suffix was freely interchanged with -son or -poika as late as the 16th century, but its meaning was ambiguous as it could refer not only to a "son", but any member of a patriarch's family, a farm or even a place. For example the surname Tuomonen could mean "Son of Tuomo"or "Farm of Tuomo" or something else belonging to Tuomo."

So, son of beauty? His mom is Aphrodite, yes? :handclap:

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
Imagine if all finnish players had to translate and change their surnames before joining the NHL!

Rantanen who? I'm getting a Mikko Beachson jersey
Also, Antti Beeach. But even that has nothing on Pekka Ironrock.

How about changing all the -la/lä names into -s (as in "Banks") because there isn't a good equivalent of -la/lä in English?
Osala = Parts
Niskala = Necks
Pyörälä = Wheels

Some translations are ridiculous coincidences. "Screen" is exactly what Tuomo Ruutu does well. Teräväinen ("Sharp-ish") is a centreman on the same team as Patrick Sharp. Also, Joni Pitkänen is tall :sarcasm:

Last edited:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Also, Antti Beeach. But even that has nothing on Pekka Ironrock.

How about changing all the -la/lä names into -s (as in "Banks") because there isn't a good equivalent of -la/lä in English?
Osala = Parts
Niskala = Necks
Pyörälä = Wheels

Some translations are ridiculous coincidences. "Screen" is exactly what Tuomo Ruutu does well. Teräväinen ("Sharp-ish") is a centreman on the same team as Patrick Sharp. Also, Joni Pitkänen is tall :sarcasm:

Haha Antti Beeach we have to translate the extra 'a' aswell!

Ah why isn't there a thread on this, can you create a thread for translating surames somewhere? I would but I hate doing it through phone

Minttu

Apr 10, 2012
To be honest, Julius Nättinen is(or would be) ahead of Hotakainen, Kanninen and Virtanen in JYP's center depth.

Season 2014-2015 (games played)

T. Nättinen 21 + 2 poffs
Kanninen 20
Boyce played about 19 games as center
Hotakainen 14 + 12 poffs
Julius Nättinen 9 (6 as center from september to november)

If Julius was the best player out of these players, he would have played more (than them) with JYP. So what has happened during the summer, if you think that he is ahead of these other players or will be in few months?

They will probably go with Joonas Nättinen 1st, Löfman 2nd, Lahti 3rd and Topi Nättinen 4th. Julius Nättinen would be the first guy to replace injured forwards. Most likely he would get more than 50% of the games played in the regular season of Liiga-team.

JYP doesn't have a steady 4th line center. They will rotate T. Nättinen, Hotakainen and Kanninen just like they did last season, and then there are Boyce and Virtanen if needed. Julius would have been one more rotation player in the JYP organization. So I find it hard to believe, that Julius would have played more than 50% of the season with JYP.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
Jari Skimmed Milk
Teemu Backsies
or maybe Teemu Crestie

Is there a thread for this already? :D

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
Teemu Backsies
or maybe Teemu Crestie
Umm, I know modern people aren't entirely in touch with nature words, but "Selänne" can be directly translated as "Ridge". So, Teemu Ridge. Even if you wouldn't like to get reminded of your (grand)ma watching The Bold & The Beautiful every time your hockey hero scores a goal.

(Someone needs to make this thread before the OT gets out of hand. This thread is about Julius Pretty-nen, not translations).

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Umm, I know modern people aren't entirely in touch with nature words, but "Selänne" can be directly translated as "Ridge". So, Teemu Ridge. Even if you wouldn't like to get reminded of your (grand)ma watching The Bold & The Beautiful every time your hockey hero scores a goal.

(Someone needs to make this thread before the OT gets out of hand. This thread is about Julius Pretty-nen, not translations).

That`s it guys, we have reached the lowest possible point in an OT discussion :laugh: Mods, please remove this :laugh:
(it was a good point though, but this needs to stop) :D

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Is there a requirement to have a surname Nattinen to play C on that team? :laugh:

They are all related and all born in the same town, Jyväskylä, where the Jyp is from. Joonas and Julius are brothers and the little guy Topi is their cousin. Julius has another big brother, Jussi who has played a career in Mestis.
Nättinen family is a true hockey family. Joonas was a promising prospect who had some NHL potential as well, but his development stagnated after he was drafted. Joonas had hard time to take the step to adult level.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
They are all related and all born in the same town, Jyväskylä, where the Jyp is from. Joonas and Julius are brothers and the little guy Topi is their cousin. Julius has another big brother, Jussi who has played a career in Mestis.
Nättinen family is a true hockey family. Joonas was a promising prospect who had some NHL potential as well, but his development stagnated after he was drafted. Joonas had hard time to take the step to adult level.

Pretty neat :)

Vatanen is also from the same town so it is a familiar town for Ducks fans. And for some reason teams scarf i have spotted in one of the local bars in Rīga.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
Kid seems to have had a seamless transition to major junior, at least offensively with 19 points in 13 games so far. Any scouting reports from regular OHL viewers?

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Kid seems to have had a seamless transition to major junior, at least offensively with 19 points in 13 games so far. Any scouting reports from regular OHL viewers?

I've watched nearly every Barrie game. Nattinen is easily the best passer on the team and as such is a pass-first type of player. He reads the ice really well and is pretty crafty with the puck. He's a fixture on the first PP unit.

He skates like Getzlaf -- glides around a lot but has impressive top end speed and can go around wide on a defenseman. Nattinen could improve defensively but that will likely come with time. He isn't a slouch by any means, evidenced by his use on the PK.

One thing to note: faceoffs are a weakness in Nattinen's game. I've read that European centers transitioning to NA hockey tend to struggle because players are allowed to use their feet here whereas in Europe it's stick only (correct me if I'm wrong). Lately he has been playing as LW due to this weakness (I also get the sense that Barrie's coach wants to spread out the offense).

Joonas

Feb 8, 2015
There is a higlight video of his early ohl-season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgg_0KTTtwU

He has an impressive offensive skillset and no major weaknesses. I think he is the best c prospect from Finland after Barkov. He is a pass-first type of player for sure, but I like when he shoots the puck to the top corner with no effort.

Last edited:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
His body type reminds me of Barkov

Not even close. Strength wise he is nowhere near Barkov. Barkov was manchild at 17 year old outpowering pro players easily. Barkov is little bit taller too. Julius Nättinen has body like Mikko Koivu for example when he finishes his physical growth but doubt he'll ever be physical monster like Barkov.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I would say that he's a bit more sopisthicated than Koivu.

I'd be curious to find out what's the definition of being sophisticated in this case?

Personally I don't think he's on the same level as Mikko was when he was at the same age (the draft number alone is pretty much in line with the estimation).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad