F Cayden Lindstrom - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2024 Draft)

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I see a lot of Josh Anderson in him.

I don't say that negatively. He is big but he has the quick, powerful strides that make the defense back off and he can overpower on the rush. A great shot, quick hands around the net, great on the cycle, protects the puck well. He also looks to lack a bit of creativity and maybe a bit of finish as well.

However, he looks way more agile, especially with his cutbacks/east-west moves on the zone entry. Looks like a smarter player, better vision, better passer.

I like him a lot. He certainly has the tools to be a dominant player... Hopefully a bit more toolbox than Anderson, but Josh is a very useful player.
That's an excellent description, imo. I suspect he goes quite high in the draft because even if he doesn't become more polished with his creativity and finish, he will still be a very useful player given his size, skating, puck-protection skills, etc.

I admit to having similar concerns about Byfield at the same age, but it all worked out well for him and LA.

Reactions: UpsideHockey

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Big players with skill are really important to insulate the smaller players with skill that you can draft later in the draft at times. The big ones with skill go early. I believe it is one of the main reasons for Slafkovsky over Cooley at draft time.

I would be happy with Lindstrom if Habs go this way in June (Or July? When is the draft this year?).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Best NHL Comp? I'm thinking Byfield but he says he models his game off of Hintz...
Hintz is a really good comp IMO, both statistically and what I think Lindstrom’s upside could be. A really really good player who can capably be a 1C if his wingers are better than he is.
I don't see the Byfield comp, at all.
You know exactly why people are using it.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Hintz is a really good comp IMO, both statistically and what I think Lindstrom’s upside could be. A really really good player who can capably be a 1C if his wingers are better than he is.

You know exactly why people are using it.
I wouldn't be so sure that Hintz has wingers that are better than him.

Reactions: Blueston

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I wouldn't be so sure that Hintz has wingers that are better than him.
I’ll re-phrase, then: I think Robertson drives play more than Hintz, when they play together.

Hintz is absolutely a first line player, but in my opinion he’s never going to be the heroic star #1C dragging mediocre wingers to insane scoring totals. He has played on elite lines (with Pavelski and Robertson) and he has led good top-6 lines on his own. That’s what I think Lindstrom’s upside is.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria

Here is where he says he thinks that he has similar traits to Hintz, namely that his size, speed, and shot, are his main calling cards. He thinks he'll be ready to return from his injury in mid-February. When he gets back from injury, he wants to focus on continuing to improve his defensive game, as well as his leadership.

KristichBabych

Jun 15, 2018
I didn’t watch is game, but a lot of comments give him some roughness… Is he more a kind of Getzlaf than Byfield?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
cayden from the whl? i think he plays like a sutter

oh wait lindstrom... just kidding he probably projects as a soft middle-6 type

actually nvm sorry i meant mike grier

___

the benn comparison actually seems quite reasonable though

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I haven’t really been following it that closely but it certainly seems as though Medicine Hat has been a lot more offensively productive with Lindstrom out of the lineup. Basha and Mckenna in particular are on a tear. Would have to think it’s just coincidence but would also like to dive into the #s more when I have time.

Reactions: Kalv and Blueston

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
His unicorn package will make him a top 5 pick, even a top 3?

If he falls to Habs, I'll cry (from happiness)..

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
His unicorn package will make him a top 5 pick, even a top 3?

If he falls to Habs, I'll cry (from happiness)..
Yes, I agree. I think he goes quite high in the draft because of his size and skill-level, and the hope that he continues developing. I don't know why, but there's often this belief that bigger players develop more slowly (Tage Thompson being a recent example). Also, this particularly draft may help him go early because there aren't a lot of sure-fire forwards.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Yes, I agree. I think he goes quite high in the draft because of his size and skill-level, and the hope that he continues developing. I don't know why, but there's often this belief that bigger players develop more slowly (Tage Thompson being a recent example). Also, this particularly draft may help him go early because there aren't a lot of sure-fire forwards.
Generally speaking that's because they grew later in life, but otherwise you aren't seeing a big difference very consistently.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Depending on where Columbus drafts Id like to see them take Lindstrom if hes available. Many CBJ fans are set on 1 of the defenders but Fantilli-Lindstrom-Sillinger down the middle wpuld give us fantastic center depth, something we arent used to

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Depending on where Columbus drafts Id like to see them take Lindstrom if hes available. Many CBJ fans are set on 1 of the defenders but Fantilli-Lindstrom-Sillinger down the middle wpuld give us fantastic center depth, something we arent used to

I'm not sure if Lindstrom will be a center but having a mean 6'5 power forward winger would also be cool. Put him on a line with Voronkov.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm not sure if Lindstrom will be a center but having a mean 6'5 power forward winger would also be cool. Put him on a line with Voronkov.
Put Brindley on that line and concerns of his size would vanish. Protect him like the Oilers protected Gretzky :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00