F Cayden Lindstrom - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2024 Draft)

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Yeah I think he’d be an excellent fit in Chicago. They could use a C with some size and physicality to compliment Bedard. I could see that happening if they get a pick in the 3-5 range. I think they’d pick Eiserman if they got second.
If we don’t get lucky again to land Celebrini my dream scenario is Lindstrom and Yakemchuk in the first and Elick with our high second.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
If we don’t get lucky again to land Celebrini my dream scenario is Lindstrom and Yakemchuk in the first and Elick with our high second.
Yakemchuk and Lindstrom aren't fan's of each other very much . I like the thought of Lindstrom and was on the Yakemchuk train , but he has some mixed reviews , like he cant play D .

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Watched the full game highlights for about a dozen Tigers games from earlier this season.

Monahan seems like a good comp, the offense does not run through him but he is efficient with his touches.

Was expecting to see more flash from him and Basha in the highlights but in general the team was mostly just plugging along, lots of greasy hard work goals. McKenna is where the flash is.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
@Vitali Kravtsov Taking this back here re: whether he'd be a top-5 pick in historic drafts. I'll try to keep it mainly to pretty obvious comparables.

2010 - 2023 Lindstrom is easily a better prospect than 2010 Johansen or Niederreiter who both scored 60-odd points. Top-3 in this draft, probably.

2011 - he'd probably go 5th ahead of Ryan Strome.

2012 - he'd be the runaway #1 overall pick in this terrible draft.

2013 - probably goes in the group 5-7 alongside Lindholm and Monahan so maybe/maybe not.

2014 - easily goes ahead of Dal Colle, would be somewhere in the 1-4 mix.

2015 - he'd certainly be ahead of Zacha who went 6th but might not crack that top-5.

2016 - is a very similar prospect to PLD who went 3rd and obviously ahead of Juolevi. Would be a top-5 pick.

2017 - similar to 2015, he'd be ahead of the #6 guy (Glass) but that top-5 was really strong.

2018 - easily in the top-5 if Kotkaniemi and Hayton were able to manage it.

2019 - Dach went #3 and he's a better prospect than Dach at the time so he's a top-5 pick here.

2020 - I think he'd be rated very similarly to Byfield at #2, probably top-5 pick here.

2021 - who the hell knows, this was the weirdest draft ever because of COVID.

2022 - I think he *probably* goes 5th here.

2023 - probably not, probably goes in the 8-10 range.

Basically he'd be a fairly certain top-5 pick every year except 2023 and a couple drafts where maybe he'd be 6th. Calling him a top-5 pick in this draft doesn't somehow mean this draft is weak.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
@Vitali Kravtsov Taking this back here re: whether he'd be a top-5 pick in historic drafts. I'll try to keep it mainly to pretty obvious comparables.

2010 - 2023 Lindstrom is easily a better prospect than 2010 Johansen or Niederreiter who both scored 60-odd points. Top-3 in this draft, probably.

2013 - probably goes in the group 5-7 alongside Lindholm and Monahan so maybe/maybe not.

2015 - he'd certainly be ahead of Zacha who went 6th but might not crack that top-5.

2016 - is a very similar prospect to PLD who went 3rd and obviously ahead of Juolevi. Would be a top-5 pick.

2017 - similar to 2015, he'd be ahead of the #6 guy (Glass) but that top-5 was really strong.

2019 - Dach went #3 and he's a better prospect than Dach at the time so he's a top-5 pick here.

2020 - I think he'd be rated very similarly to Byfield at #2, probably top-5 pick here.

Basically he'd be a fairly certain top-5 pick every year except 2023 and a couple drafts where maybe he'd be 6th. Calling him a top-5 pick in this draft doesn't somehow mean this draft is weak.
2023 draft I'd guess he goes #5 or #6. Definitely a better prospect than Simashev.

2021 he goes top 5 for sure. It was a weak draft from top to bottom.

The rest of 2017-2023 looks accurate. 2020 was a deep draft, but I doubt a team would pass on him in the top 5.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It seems like the area he is from is pretty "out there", Chetwynd, in Northeast BC. I assume the nearest WHL city Prince George? 3 hr, 18 min drive according to GoogleMaps. Let alone the nearest NHL City Edmonton, which is over 7 hour drive.

Pretty impressive for an NHL player to come from such a remote area. I guess you could say the same for McKenna a couple years down the line. The Academies are getting these western kids young enough (14?) to make the difference I suppose.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

Thing about 2011 is Couturier & Schiefele went after Strome. Couturier scored at a 1.65 PPG after scoring at 1.41 in his D-1 year. Lindstrom is at 1.43PPG now & was under a PPG last year.

Its hard to do this as your kind of using hindsight to judge these prospect while trying to project Lindstrom so its not a clear standard, and also this isn't neccesarily factoring in reaches that happened those years either. Like sure he's a better prospect than Hayton & Kotkaniemi but not better than Hughes/Tkachuk. And I doubt based on projection/hype he's a more touted prospect than Yakupov was at the time but its hard to argue it now knowing what we know.

Most of these years I don't think he's top 3 but there's a case for him being 4/5 in many of them, tho certainly not a guarantee.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Thing about 2011 is Couturier & Schiefele went after Strome. Couturier scored at a 1.65 PPG after scoring at 1.41 in his D-1 year. Lindstrom is at 1.43PPG now & was under a PPG last year.

Its hard to do this as your kind of using hindsight to judge these prospect while trying to project Lindstrom, and not neccesarily factoring in reaches that happened those years either. Like sure he's a better prospect than Hayton & Kotkaniemi but not better than Hughes/Tkachuk. And I doubt based on projection/hype he's a more touted prospect than Yakupov was at the time for example but its hard to argue it now knowing what we know.

Most of these years I don't think he's top 3 but there's a case for him being 4/5 in many of them, tho certainly not a guarantee.
It also ignores that sometimes draft order doesn't shake out how everyone confidently believes around Christmas time. Wasn't Couts in the Number 1 pick discussion for a while? If a team surprises with their pick at 3 or 4, it's easy to say "he's better than that guy was as a prospect" if you're just looking at some expert consensus thing but ignores that one team may have had the guy they took high that year.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
It also ignores that sometimes draft order doesn't shake out how everyone confidently believes around Christmas time. Wasn't Couts in the Number 1 pick discussion for a while? If a team surprises with their pick at 3 or 4, it's easy to say "he's better than that guy was as a prospect" if you're just looking at some expert consensus thing but ignores that one team may have had the guy they took high that year.

Yeah no doubt. Its early for this as you say & its also not a clear standard. Are we comparing prospect projections at the time? Or a mix of how some turned out? And are we factoring picks that were reaches?

I'm not down on Lindstrom but I think some of those evaluations I'd have a bit differently. I'd have to go through it but for example I personally liked Dach's pure offensive upside more than Lindstroms at the time. Chicago rushed him & likely stunted his development but he was more of a playmaker/driver for Saskatoon imo than Lindstrom is now, though he didn't shoot or play mean like Lindstrom so I can see the opposite argument.

Its a great point by you about how early it is to make this judgment. That's kinda where I'm at in regards to these comparisons. Not sure I'm ready to go as far as the OP but he could be right about some of the years.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

I don’t even have a strong opinion about him, but these statements are made based on hindsight and pretty much bullshit.

plebskeeto

Dec 13, 2023
Agreed. I do think if it was my choice I'd choose him at #2 over eiserman just because this size of player with the toolset does not come along often and it would be a PERFECT match for bedards wing. I know eiserman has huge goal scoring potential but I feel like very one dimensional players aren't very conducive to cup winning teams.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Agreed. I do think if it was my choice I'd choose him at #2 over eiserman just because this size of player with the toolset does not come along often and it would be a PERFECT match for bedards wing. I know eiserman has huge goal scoring potential but I feel like very one dimensional players aren't very conducive to cup winning teams.

I think people are going to be surprised at how 'low' Eiserman goes.

Anyone who'd take him before Catton is insane to me

Why? Obviously the skill to size toolkit is rare. I personally have Catton higher but I can understand the argument. Does not seem very farfetched.

Reactions: TLEH

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
I think people are going to be surprised at how 'low' Eiserman goes.

Why? Obviously the skill to size toolkit is rare. I personally have Catton higher but I can understand the argument. Does not seem very farfetched.
I can see Catton dropping a slight bit being a lighter player, which would be unwise if that happened. Eiserman being a 6'0 200lb who isn't afraid of playing a bit physical is gonna woo scouts, especially if he's an inch or two taller come draft day.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don’t even have a strong opinion about him, but these statements are made based on hindsight and pretty much bullshit.

Explain what you disagree with and why. Nothing there is hindsight.

Lindstrom on a 60-goal pace would be ranked ahead of guys like Dach/Johansen/Hayten scoring at a 60-70 *point* pace. There really shouldn't be any debate there.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Love to see him in a Habs Jersey. A big skilled center that plays physical and can score. Sign me up
Ah yes from Liam "have I told you that Paul Henderson belongs in the HHOF because of a single series" Maguire.

NM I see the line there now thought it was connected to your post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad