F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Had 17 points in the first 12 games and then 25 in the last 11.

Indeed.

I predicted before the season that Lafreniére would go berserk this season
and score in the range of 145-160 points, needs to continue with this 3 ppg avg for a while thou :)
and sustain his current 2.5 ppg pace for almost remaining of the season.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I predicted before the season that Lafreniére would go berserk this season
and score in the range of 145-160 points, needs to continue with this 3 ppg avg for a while thou :)
and sustain his current 2.5 ppg pace for almost remaining of the season.

145 points is a bit of a stretch but 100 points is definitely possible.

Reactions: Jesse86436

tfu92

Nov 8, 2018
i wonder what level of production he would need to be considered on mcdavid/crosby level talent coming into the draft.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
i wonder what level of production he would need to be considered on mcdavid/crosby level talent coming into the draft.

I doubt there's any level of production that would change my view that he's more of a MacKinnon/Hall level of prospect than a McDavid/Crosby level type of player.

but a good start would be playing a leading role and delivering points and wins for Team Canada at the WJC. And if he can finish the regular season with 120 pts., I'll be sufficiently impressed. Hell, Hockey Canada may even take him to Europe in the spring to practice with the Big Boy NHLers and give him an exhibition game against the Austrians or the Swiss while they wait to fill out the roster with more late arriving NHLers.

my expectation, however, is that he won't be able to force Hockey Canada brass into playing him in that leading role, and he'll struggle to put up points against the older 19 year old better teams, USA, Sweden, the Finns and the Russians. He may rack up a few points against Denmark.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jesse86436

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Putting himself close to, or at the top of the league, in his 2nd year would be close to what McDavid did in his 2nd year. Crosby, in his first year and the youngest of three, had clearly separated himself from everyone else and was even more impressive in his draft year. McDavid also took a big step up in his draft year.

Seems like he could be putting himself in the area of being in between McDavid/Crosby and the other #1s since 2005.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I doubt there's any level of production that would change my view that he's more of a MacKinnon/Hall level of prospect than a McDavid/Crosby level type of player.

but a good start would be playing a leading role and delivering points and wins for Team Canada at the WJC. And if he can finish the regular season with 120 pts., I'll be sufficiently impressed. Hell, Hockey Canada may even take him to Europe in the spring to practice with the Big Boy NHLers and give him an exhibition game against the Austrians or the Swiss while they wait to fill out the roster with more late arriving NHLers.

my expectation, however, is that he won't be able to force Hockey Canada brass into playing him in that leading role, and he'll struggle to put up points against the older 19 year old better teams, USA, Sweden, the Finns and the Russians. He may rack up a few points against Denmark.

Not even 150-200 points in his draft year??? :)

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Not even 150-200 points in his draft year??? :)

Nope. In order for me to raise a Spockian eyebrow and reevaluate Lafreniere as a player, he would have to hit pt. totals 150-165 this year. Do at 17 in his 2nd. season what Sid did at 17 years of age in his 2nd. Q. season. I make no allowances for arbitrary NHL dates for the purposes of a pro draft.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Nope. In order for me to raise a Spockian eyebrow and reevaluate Lafreniere as a player, he would have to hit pt. totals 150-165 this year. Do at 17 in his 2nd. season what Sid did at 17 years of age in his 2nd. Q. season. I make no allowances for arbitrary NHL dates for the purposes of a pro draft.

You evaluate a player based on his point total?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Crosby did not have a central role on Team Canada in his D-1 year. He did in his draft year and, still, Bergeron and Carter had a bigger impact. I think your expectations of what Lafreniere should do are out of whack.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Crosby did not have a central role on Team Canada in his D-1 year. He did in his draft year and, still, Bergeron and Carter had a bigger impact. I think your expectations of what Lafreniere should do are out of whack.

Again, I don't care that Alexis missed the NHL arbitrary cut of date to be drafted this year. 2005 WJC Crosby at 17 years and 4 months vs. 2019 WJC Lafreniere at 17 years 2 months is what I will be comparing.

Reactions: Dodospice

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I think Laf will end up between a Kane to Crosby level, he's really impressed me every time I've watched him he has that "every time he touches the puck he's dangerous" feeling that McDavid, Kane, Bure, etc has/had.

Reactions: Ranger Spice

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

He'd need to produce a heck of a lot, because from what I've seen he's not on that tier of prospect.

He gets a ton of PP assists this season from playing the point and touching the puck a lot. Last year, he was often used in the high slot and didn't get nearly has many puck touches.

But in terms of how dynamic he is and how he tilts the ice, not at all on Crosby's level. Laf isn't that noticeable on the ice, but he's a very smart player. A bit like Tavares.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
He'd need to produce a heck of a lot, because from what I've seen he's not on that tier of prospect.

He gets a ton of PP assists this season from playing the point and touching the puck a lot. Last year, he was often used in the high slot and didn't get nearly has many puck touches.

But in terms of how dynamic he is and how he tilts the ice, not at all on Crosby's level. Laf isn't that noticeable on the ice, but he's a very smart player. A bit like Tavares.

Yeah, I agree.

Crosby was VERY dynamic in juniors. He was noticeable all around the ice. Lafrenière is more of a "silent" assassin. None of his physical "skills" will woe you, but if you look closely, you will be amazed by his hockey sense. It is trully through the roof. The way he will enter the zone, wait for teammates and then get the cycle going, the way he closes the puck carrier, the way he support, the way he uses angles, etc. These things are what will make him a fantastic pro, not his raw skills.

His upside is high, but his floor is also quite high. To me, he is can't-miss.

It reminds me of watching Danault when he was 16/17. Obviously, Danault was no where near Lafrenière skill-wise, but his hockey IQ, even in juniors, was through the roof. You could easily see that he would at worse be a serviceable pro. He was not making mental mistakes. Always making the right decisions. Lafrenière is the same + higher skill level. To me, at worse, Lafrerenière will be a poor's man Hossa. At best, he will be a rich's man Hossa.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012

Crosby also made Team Canada as a 16 year old, something Lafreniere didn’t do. If he was in the Crosby/McDavid tier, he’d have played last year at 16. He’s not, so he will play at 17 instead. Which is fine, it’s not a knock on the player, hes just no where near the caliber of player those 2 are.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Lafrenière could already play pro. He proccess the game like a pro. Always making good decisions, amazing vision and very fast hands. Always well positioned. I think he is not a dominant eye catching fast skater like Yakupov, Hall or McDavid were but he is such a strong skater with always keeping his head up and balance it reminds me Jack Eichel. I think which ever team get him should be thrilled to have such a smart and talented kid.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Lafrenière could already play pro. He proccess the game like a pro. Always making good decisions, amazing vision and very fast hands. Always well positioned. I think he is not a dominant eye catching fast skater like Yakupov, Hall or McDavid were but he is such a strong skater with always keeping his head up and balance it reminds me Jack Eichel. I think which ever team get him should be thrilled to have such a smart and talented kid.

He can also turn on a dime. I watched him play a few weeks ago, he had a very quiet night but you could see the skill, and Hockey IQ were there.

I remember being surprised at how good his edge work was, as I never really heard much on it.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Yeah, Lafrenière will play in the NHL at 18, no doubt about it. His game is NHL-ready. He will have an adaptation period like any player, but I expect him to be a very trustworthy player during his rookie season. He will not need to be sheltered, they'll be able to give him tough minutes and tough assignments. He is that good. I will repeat myself, I see a LOT of Hossa in him.

Reactions: Ranger Spice

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Yeah, Lafrenière will play in the NHL at 18, no doubt about it. His game is NHL-ready. He will have an adaptation period like any player, but I expect him to be a very trustworthy player during his rookie season. He will not need to be sheltered, they'll be able to give him tough minutes and tough assignments. He is that good. I will repeat myself, I see a LOT of Hossa in him.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

Nobody sends back 1OA draft picks to junior. So, yes, he'll begin his NHL career as an 18 year old, and will turn 19 a week later.

Reactions: L13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad