F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
has anyone tried to do this pre-draft?

I mean many CHL players have went to europe but they did it after being drafted (Juolevi, etc)
I think the guys who went post draft were all European players who were considered to be on loan from their home leagues. I dont know if a north American player who has played in the CHL has ever left to go player in a Euro league.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I think the guys who went post draft were all European players who were considered to be on loan from their home leagues. I dont know if a north American player who has played in the CHL has ever left to go player in a Euro league.

he has absolutely nothing to learn in the CHL after this season

I wonder if hockey canada has some say in these decisions because it would help them in the long run if he develops into a top player that can compete with all the American talent coming in

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
he has absolutely nothing to learn in the CHL after this season

I wonder if hockey canada has some say in these decisions because it would help them in the long run if he develops into a top player that can compete with all the American talent coming in

Hockey Canada would side with the CHL 110% of the time. The CHL would never allow a top player to leave. It dilutes their product. They want top players playing in their league because it puts butts in seats and helps in the development of other players.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Hockey Canada would side with the CHL 110% of the time. The CHL would never allow a top player to leave. It dilutes their product. They want top players playing in their league because it puts butts in seats and helps in the development of other players.

that's a shame, saw how much Matthews benefited from making that move

Reactions: Fixxer

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
that's a shame, saw how much Matthews benefited from making that move
:laugh:

Yeah, the ~60% of top superstars in the league today who went through the CHL to the draft sure suffered from being stuck in such a nothing league. Why anyone would want to play in a league that has produced like 95% of the top players of hockey history is beyond me.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
:laugh:

Yeah, the ~60% of top superstars in the league today who went through the CHL to the draft sure suffered from being stuck in such a nothing league. Why anyone would want to play in a league that has produced like 95% of the top players of hockey history is beyond me.

European countries produce more talent relative to the population and junior teams of Canada.

Gee, I wonder why.. maybe a Czech guy like Pastrnak can pick and choose a Czech league or superelit, allsvenskan, and the shl. Point being is dominating juniors for another year instead of playing against men won't make him regress, but it sure as hell won't be better practice for the NHL

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I'd still like to see him have a playoff/memorial cup run before saying he has nothing to prove in that league. Let's see what he does this year.

Reactions: Fixxer and SpoolCat

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
34 points in 19 games, he's going ham! Can't wait to see him in the NHL and watch him dominate

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
European countries produce more talent relative to the population and junior teams of Canada.

Gee, I wonder why.. maybe a Czech guy like Pastrnak can pick and choose a Czech league or superelit, allsvenskan, and the shl. Point being is dominating juniors for another year instead of playing against men won't make him regress, but it sure as hell won't be better practice for the NHL

The number of youth playing hockey in Canada and the U.S. dwarf those playing in all of Europe by a significant margin yet on a per capita basis of producing elite players Europe is outstripping N.A. by an equally wide margin. Now both the CHL and the NCAA are great routes but obviously something needs to change in order to catch up to Europe.

I agree that while his play in the QMJHL will not regress his development, he would be much better served playing in pro league somewhere in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad