Post-Series Talk: Boston Bruins Defeat Toronto Maple Leafs (win 4-3)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What I've learned reading the past two threads is that whoever won more Cups before colored television was a thing is more indicative of who is a better team now than, you know, who is a better team now.

I guess this means the Montreal Canadiens are still the top team in the league and it's not even close.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
What I've learned reading the past two threads is that whoever won more Cups before colored television was a thing is more indicative of who is a better team now than, you know, who is a better team now.

I guess this means the Montreal Canadiens are still the top team in the league and it's not even close.
In defense of Habs fans, they haven’t beat on that drum in a few years. They’ve actually been very humble, and appreciative of the good days. Really since the Covid cup. I respect that

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Have you, or even your father ever seen a Leaf’s Stanley Cup? A finals?

This is like weirdos who brag about winning WW2 80 years after it happened.
when comparing two franchises, this becomes irrelevant. Again, history did not start in 1968 much as you all fire dancers would wish it did.

6 cups. 100+ years. yikes.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

They are.

When you compare prestige, it doesn't start in some made up, arbitrary date. "my history starts with the invention of color tv..." lol.

two original 6 teams are absolutely comparable. The Bruins were in that same 6 team division and were so bad that they could only win the thing...3 times. 3!

Yikes.

But that doesn't fit the narrative. That's an unfortunate truth we can't bring up when talking about how bad a franchise is or isn't...

;)

Anyways, I'll leave you all to continue your fire dancing! I'll check back to see if this thread persists in a few days. TDS...it really is cute!

1715121498518.png

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
You’d have a point if this was a once or twice thing.
They’ve been “on defenseman away” or “one goalie away” for 6 years in a row now of horrible playoff performances

But can they get better? Would a trade improve things or are they sort of forced to stick it out with the core?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
when comparing two franchises, this becomes irrelevant. Again, history did not start in 1968 much as you all fire dancers would wish it did.

6 cups. 100+ years. yikes.
truthfully, nothing in sports before the early 90s matters much to me. I’m a fresh faced 39, idgaf what happened in the 60’s.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
But can they get better? Would a trade improve things or are they sort of forced to stick it out with the core?
Tough question TBH. The right trade can make any team better. the hard part is identifying what move to make.

personally I think that the Leafs need to shed cap and pick up a mobile defenseman with playmaking ability. I'd be swoggered if I knew who that ought to be however.

But then I also think they need to keep Sheldon Keefe, so I'm aware my opinion is in the minority a lot.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I mean there’s lots of examples of teams that made big trades that pushed them over the top. Vegas got Eichel. Toews and Nichuskin and Kadri in Colorado. Tampa traded for Sergachev and McDonough.
Pittsburgh for Kessel.
Just has to be the right move.

Reactions: Pickles

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Would freeing up cap space to make actual improvements at D and G instead of just filtering through the same garbage each year help the team? 100%

Would breaking up a core whose fault lies at every loss every post season make a difference? Also 100%

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They are.

When you compare prestige, it doesn't start in some made up, arbitrary date. "my history starts with the invention of color tv..." lol.

two original 6 teams are absolutely comparable. The Bruins were in that same 6 team division and were so bad that they could only win the thing...3 times. 3!

Yikes.

But that doesn't fit the narrative. That's an unfortunate truth we can't bring up when talking about how bad a franchise is or isn't...

;)

Anyways, I'll leave you all to continue your fire dancing! I'll check back to see if this thread persists in a few days. TDS...it really is cute!

View attachment 866676
The only prestige the Leaf’s have is holding the record for both longest Cup drought in NHL history and longest finals drought in NHL history.

A truly unbreakable record continues to grow!

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o

Top in terms of prestige yes. They're still rebuilding and may be a top team in the league in a couple of years if their prospects pan out and they get some luck in the draft.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Is Boston still bitching about Toronto? Guys, congrats! You won a playoff round against us in 2024.

But your team franchise sucks ass.

Again. You have 100+ history in the NHL, same as Toronto. You were in the league when it was only 6 teams...same as Toronto.

You could only win the thing 3 times in the first 60 years of your shit franchise's existence when it was only 6 teams.

Same as Tor...oh wait.

Now granted you've managed to win 3 more since then...so? Your average throughout your entire history is 6 cups in 100+ years. (see I don't have to cherry pick my history in only existing from 1968 and beyond like you sorry chaps...lol) I measure the success of your club throughout its ENTIRE history, and it's pretty clear. Yall are an original 6 team with only 6 wins in 100+ years. Y'all suck. Especially your first 60 years.

Now this is where it gets painful for you. Even if the Leafs stopped playing and just went on a skid for the next 100 years not winning anything...and we gave Boston another 100+ years to double up their cup wins...they STILL wouldn't have as many cups as the Leafs.

That's just history. ALL of history. As you should reference when you are comparing two original 6 franchises.

And yes I am well aware who owns this league, and it isn't Toronto and it certainly isn't Boston.

Anyways enjoy the rest of your playoffs, I'm certain you are gonna win it all...lol. But even though we are the center of the hockey verse...you should probably stop talking about us.
This guy is trying way too hard. 😆

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
In defense of Habs fans, they haven’t beat on that drum in a few years. They’ve actually been very humble, and appreciative of the good days. Really since the Covid cup. I respect that
Yup, we suck. The spin they are putting on the " learning stages" and " baby steps"
in Montreal? Is beyond ridiculous. Listening to Molson you would think the Habs are a a modern day version of a 90s expansion team.

But we did love eliminating of the leafs in the first round with a .500 reg season team 😆👍

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The only prestige the Leaf’s have is holding the record for both longest Cup drought in NHL history and longest finals drought in NHL history.

A truly unbreakable record continues to grow!
I think 6 straight play off losses at home might be a new record in play off futility.

And on the comical side ....losing to the beer league goalie / zamboni driver. 😆

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
Top in terms of prestige yes. They're still rebuilding and may be a top team in the league in a couple of years if their prospects pan out and they get some luck in the draft.
You know you're in deep trouble if prestige from decades ago is more important than success in this day and age.

It's like the loser guy in his 40's that still thinks high school was the best time of his life and hasn't been able to move on into real adulthood. It's sad when you see it.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Is Boston still bitching about Toronto? Guys, congrats! You won a playoff round against us in 2024.

But your team franchise sucks ass.

Again. You have 100+ history in the NHL, same as Toronto. You were in the league when it was only 6 teams...same as Toronto.

You could only win the thing 3 times in the first 60 years of your shit franchise's existence when it was only 6 teams.

Same as Tor...oh wait.

Now granted you've managed to win 3 more since then...so? Your average throughout your entire history is 6 cups in 100+ years. (see I don't have to cherry pick my history in only existing from 1968 and beyond like you sorry chaps...lol) I measure the success of your club throughout its ENTIRE history, and it's pretty clear. Yall are an original 6 team with only 6 wins in 100+ years. Y'all suck. Especially your first 60 years.

Now this is where it gets painful for you. Even if the Leafs stopped playing and just went on a skid for the next 100 years not winning anything...and we gave Boston another 100+ years to double up their cup wins...they STILL wouldn't have as many cups as the Leafs.

That's just history. ALL of history. As you should reference when you are comparing two original 6 franchises.

And yes I am well aware who owns this league, and it isn't Toronto and it certainly isn't Boston.

Anyways enjoy the rest of your playoffs, I'm certain you are gonna win it all...lol. But even though we are the center of the hockey verse...you should probably stop talking about us.
You got it all wrong from the beginning of your rant. We beat you in EVERY PLAYOFFS SERIES SINCE 1959, not just „you won a playoffs round vs us in 2024“. It‘s a little more than that: it’s 65 years worth of it, to be precise. That‘s 2/3rds of a CENTURY. Think about that.

Furthermore… Since you won your last Cup in 1966-67:
- the Bruins won 3 Cups, went to the finals 10 times, were the President’s Trophy winners 4 times (since 85-86, when it was instituted), and have been in the playoffs 49 times out of 56 seasons, a 87.5% success ratio.
- the Leafs won 0 cups, were in 0 finals, never won the President’s Trophy (until 2017 you only had a grand total of 3 - THREE - regular seasons at or above 100 points in your entire history. It was 103, 100 and 100 points, to be precise. Even now you only have a total of 8 regular seasons at or above 100 points, the Bruins have 27 such seasons), and were in the playoffs 35 times only (and your current streak is only due to you getting your team built via TANKING. Tanking is hockey‘s equivalent of being on food stamps, just to be clear), a 62.5% success ratio.

Still any doubt who has been more successful between the Leafs and the Bruins? I think not.
You WISH that the Leafs were like the Bruins: you know that and all Leafs fans know that. Just a look at your section of the forum shows that clearly.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
They will long before Boston can finally have double digit cup wins.

lol.

100+ years of hockey and 6 cups

yikes.

I just came in today to see you all still dancing like lord of the flies around a bonfire. Just thought I would put things into perspective when comparing prestige between two teams that have 100+ years of hockey history.

Ain't that a bitch?

But please...continue your dancing, 6 cups.
You‘re lucky that the NHL is a closed league. If there was promotion and relegation like in Europe, the Leafs would be in the ECHL now. You spent so many seasons at the bottom of the standings, it ain‘t even funny.

• Haha
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
truthfully, nothing in sports before the early 90s matters much to me. I’m a fresh faced 39, idgaf what happened in the 60’s.
People who are now retirement age were children when the Leafs last won a cup. "History didn't begin in 1968" is a strange hill to die on, unless one enjoys looking at banners hanging from the rafters and not having the experience of watching your team win it themself.

And on the comical side ....losing to the beer league goalie / zamboni driver. 😆
David Ayers, the 42 year old Marlies zamboni driver. Lost to their own ice crew :laugh:

Reactions: TD Charlie

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
One of the funniest thing by Leafs fans, besides the proclamations of sure greatness to be (like the „we‘re building a dynasty!“ of 5-6 years ago), was when they kept talking about the Bruins decline with Chara getting older, Bergeron and Krejci too. Fast forward to 2024, no Chara, no Bergeron, no Krejci, nobody left of the old guard but Marchand, and what happens? The Bruins are still above the Leafs in the standings and eliminated the Leafs in the playoffs (anyone remembers the chants of „We want the Bruins!“ in Toronto, by their fans? Well, you got the Bruins. Enjoy golfing now). It must be a never-ending nightmare for the Leafs.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
You got it all wrong from the beginning of your rant. We beat you in EVERY PLAYOFFS SERIES SINCE 1959, not just „you won a playoffs round vs us in 2024“. It‘s a little more than that: it’s 65 years worth of it, to be precise. That‘s 2/3rds of a CENTURY. Think about that.

Furthermore… Since you won your last Cup in 1966-67:
- the Bruins won 3 Cups, went to the finals 10 times, were the President’s Trophy winners 4 times (since 85-86, when it was instituted), and have been in the playoffs 49 times out of 56 seasons, a 87.5% success ratio.
- the Leafs won 0 cups, were in 0 finals, never won the President’s Trophy (until 2017 you only had a grand total of 3 - THREE - regular seasons at or above 100 points in your entire history. It was 103, 100 and 100 points, to be precise. Even now you only have a total of 8 regular seasons at or above 100 points, the Bruins have 27 such seasons), and were in the playoffs 35 times only (and your current streak is only due to you getting your team built via TANKING. Tanking is hockey‘s equivalent of being on food stamps, just to be clear), a 62.5% success ratio.

Still any doubt who has been more successful between the Leafs and the Bruins? I think not.
You WISH that the Leafs were like the Bruins: you know that and all Leafs fans know that. Just a look at your section of the forum shows that clearly.
Great post, and the bolded is GOLD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad