F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
MacKinnon had a pretty poor showing as a 17 yr old at the WJC. It's not easy playing down in the lineup and producing. I'm sure a different tune will be sung next year.

And I'm not saying he should or shouldn't go to Europe, I'm sure the decision he's made is what he thinks is best for him and I'm looking forward to seeing him live again, but I don't think drawing a comparison from 35 years ago during a time when going to Europe to play as a North American teenager wasn't even seen as an option proves anything.

Yeah, and MacKinnon was a slightly better prospect than Lafreniere. Nate was lucky enough to be born a few days before the draft cut off date and start his NHL career as an 18 year old. Alexis has to wait a year. those are the rules and he'll be just fine.

I'm sure Lafreniere will be one of the tournament's top players next year. I'm counting on it.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Except, why doesn't it happen in reverse? You don't see Quebec players on top OHL teams. Yes, kids who should have made the OHL get passed over (Giroux, DiDomenico, etc), but it is never happening in reverse, and we can't think that the QMJHL is just more flawless in player selection.

Because maybe these OHL teams just dont care to scout QMJHL teams and would rather develop their own instead of Quebec kids?

You can't say that players like Macewan, Zach O'Brian, or other players who could have been signed by OHL teams wouldn't have made these OHL teams. They just weren't ever scouted.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Because maybe these OHL teams just dont care to scout QMJHL teams and would rather develop their own instead of Quebec kids?

You can't say that players like Macewan, Zach O'Brian, or other players who could have been signed by OHL teams wouldn't have made these OHL teams. They just weren't ever scouted.
O'Brien was drafted for the Q, I don't think the OHL ever could have signed him. MacEwan, you have a point, but he was a 40 point player in the QMJHL at 19, that doesn't scream major miss.

The big difference is, you see about 15 to 20 Ontario region kids in the Q every year, some even on top teams. You don't see anything close in reverse. Yes, you can find examples where it probably would have worked in reverse, but QMJHL teams do it commonly in reverse. This year I counted 36 OHL-region players in the Q (about a team and a half in an 18 team league), and one WHL-region player. They are mostly depth, but it shows the disparity (you aren't seeing OHL pull in QMJHL overagers in the same manner). Even if the OHL actively scouted, I doubt it would come close to balancing out.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
The Quebec league rules better allows for it to build super teams that can compete at the memorial cup level, thats why they do good there. The OHL does not allow for trading of first round picks, which would allow teams to become more top heavy. The disparity in points top to bottom in the quebec league is definitely more than the other two leagues.

Just this year for example Rouyn-Noranda , already sporting the best record in the country were able to trade 2 first round picks for Dobson.

and the worst record in the major junior? Acadie Bathurst with a measly 7 wins, after winning the memorial cup last year because they sacrificed so much to get there.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
The Quebec league rules better allows for it to build super teams that can compete at the memorial cup level, thats why they do good there. The OHL does not allow for trading of first round picks, which would allow teams to become more top heavy. The disparity in points top to bottom in the quebec league is definitely more than the other two leagues.

Just this year for example Rouyn-Noranda , already sporting the best record in the country were able to trade 2 first round picks for Dobson.

and the worst record in the major junior? Acadie Bathurst with a measly 7 wins, after winning the memorial cup last year because they sacrificed so much to get there.

I mean the OHL teams just instead trade a boatload of 2nds to make up the value of a first anyway so seems like a bit of a moot point. No difference between trading 2 1st's for Dobson and trading 5-6 2nd's.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I mean the OHL teams just instead trade a boatload of 2nds to make up the value of a first anyway so seems like a bit of a moot point. No difference between trading 2 1st's for Dobson and trading 5-6 2nd's.

Yes, but it it means you have no assets to acquire more players. Q team has significant more assets they can use to acquire players to build power houses.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Based purely on numbers and age Lafreniere is a slightly better prospect then Mackinon. Also plays on a less stacked team.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
So did Mackinon at the same age. Mcdavid struggled as a 16 year old

but tied for tournament lead in points as a 17 year old leading to a gold medal. Alexis as a 17 year old struggled and the team underperformed. Granted McDavid was an older 17 year old (January b-day) whereas Alexis was/is a young 17 year old (October B-Day) + McDavid had the benefit of the previous year's experience, something which should be a benefit Alexis next year. I'll cut Alexis some slack for that, but not too much. idiot coach aside, he was lost against 19 year olds. something which didn't surprise me at all. I expected it.

If Hughes is in the NHL next year then he should have a real shot at a few tournament individual awards, but more importantly, the team better deliver. and that means an appearance in the gold medal game.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
but tied for tournament lead in points as a 17 year old leading to a gold medal. Alexis as a 17 year old struggled and the team underperformed. Granted McDavid was an older 17 year old (January b-day) whereas Alexis was/is a young 17 year old (October B-Day) + McDavid had the benefit of the previous year's experience, something which should be a benefit Alexis next year. I'll cut Alexis some slack for that, but not too much. idiot coach aside, he was lost against 19 year olds. something which didn't surprise me at all. I expected it.

If Hughes is in the NHL next year then he should have a real shot at a few tournament individual awards, but more importantly, the team better deliver. and that means an appearance in the gold medal game.

So, what does it mean? Lafreniere isnt McDavid.

But. What does it mean for second? Also as a "better Mackinon" he could have a great NHL future.

Reactions: Acadien86

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
So, what does it mean? Lafreniere isnt McDavid.

But. What does it mean for second? Also as a "better Mackinon" he could have a great NHL future.

a better MacKinnon is debatable. I don't think he is. but we'll soon see.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
He might not be the same level as McDavid but what he’s done in the Q over the last 2 years is extremely impressive. Like I said he’s had a better junior career then Mackinon. Might not have the same upside but I’m sure he will be there n the NHL at 18.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
1st overall, no question about it

Do these things get decided 1,5 year ahead of the draft nowadays? There are many great prospects in european leagues too gunning for the 1st overall, their numbers just aren't as lofty since they don't play in junior leagues.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Do these things get decided 1,5 year ahead of the draft nowadays? There are many great prospects in european leagues too gunning for the 1st overall, their numbers just aren't as lofty since they don't play in junior leagues.
Minus a horrible season he’s pretty much a lock to go first in 2020. Even if his numbers stay the same next year he’s going first.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Minus a horrible season he’s pretty much a lock to go first in 2020. Even if his numbers stay the same next year he’s going first.

Even if say, Anton Lundell has as a center ppg season in Finnish Liiga? Ppg in a mens league and as a center still wouldn't be enough?

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Even if say, Anton Lundell has as a center ppg season in Finnish Liiga? Ppg in a mens league and as a center still wouldn't be enough?
Do you think that’s realistic? It would be his first year playing pro. And to be honest it still probably wouldn’t be enough. When it comes to drafting players playing in NA have an advantage.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad