OT: Around the NHL: Go Cats Go

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The Canes just never have that elite scoring punch teams need for a Cup run. Guys like Aho and Svech and Jake are good, but none of them is gonna take over and win a game imo, let alone a series.

The only times recently that teams have been able to win without that caliber of talent were the Bruins in 2011 and the Blues in 2019, and both of those teams (Boston especially) had goalies go on runs, and I don't think the Canes have that either. :laugh:

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Add the penguins but without the playoff appearance this season.
1715312288808.png

Reactions: Ignatius and Andy99

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm so confused how JJ played that 2 on 1 Dallas had so bad...basically took himself out going for the other guy letting the puck carrier come in for an amazing chance. Use your stick bro...

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The Canes just never have that elite scoring punch teams need for a Cup run. Guys like Aho and Svech and Jake are good, but none of them is gonna take over and win a game imo, let alone a series.

The only times recently that teams have been able to win without that caliber of talent were the Bruins in 2011 and the Blues in 2019, and both of those teams (Boston especially) had goalies go on runs, and I don't think the Canes have that either. :laugh:
Also the Rags are perfect matchup for Carolina. Ugly 5v5, really good goalie, really good special teams vs a team that is more of bunch of cogs that are good 5v5. They just suck Carolina in, hang around and are opportunistic.

game flow leads to CAR overworking for goals and peppering Shesterkin from afar- which only makes him better IMO.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The Canes are like the 2000s Dallas Cowboys... all hype no delivery.

I also don't understand the Rod the Bod love. He overcoached a team to be utterly boring and generally not playoff effective and gets smoked every single year when it matters. Real impressive.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

Vegas too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Jake is their best player.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

They’ve lost all 3 games by 1 goal and are getting goalied by Shesterkin. Yes a game breaking talent would be nice but I don’t think it’s the main reason they’re down 3-0.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
They made it farther last year with no Svechnikov (or Guentzel). Their problem is how they play, they lose the same way every year.

It's exactly what I said. Carolina relies on a high volume (but not necessarily high quality) attack, and the Rangers can handle that with their good goaltending. And then their own looks are higher quality than what the Canes generate, and the Canes goaltending can't stand up to it.

It's like a flash back to when the Pens dominated the Habs under Bylsma but then lost the series anyways because everything was from the perimeter against a hot goalie.

Rod the Bod is overrated as hell imo until he finds a way to get his teams past this hump. His system just doesn't get it done against teams that can actually survive the high volume and counterpunch them.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Pretty impressive PP and finish. Hope they can score again on the back half of the double minor.

Edit: And they do. 3-0. F*ck the Bruins.

Reactions: End of Line

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Bruins with 8 shots through 2. It's really a beautiful thing to see. If Cats can continue to ECF, hopefully Rags won't be able to dive and head-shot their way past them.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Damn the cats are tough. Rodriguez why didn't we keep him again?

The big thing I like about the cats is they all play hard the way they hemmed Boston reminds me of our 2016 run

Reactions: Ignatius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad