F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Do you think that’s realistic? It would be his first year playing pro. And to be honest it still probably wouldn’t be enough. When it comes to drafting players playing in NA have an advantage.

He has been playing pro this season already. 13 points in 27 games so far, very similar stats to those that Barkov had in his pre-draft season, 16 points in 32 games.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
He has been playing pro this season already. 13 points in 27 games so far, very similar stats to those that Barkov had in his pre-draft season, 16 points in 32 games.
He would need to double his production next year which is unlikely. Barkov is great but he wouldn’t go first overall over Lafreniere either.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
He would need to double his production next year which is unlikely.

How come? Barkov had 48 points in 53 games in his draft year, and many scouts agree that Lundell seems even more promising than Barkov.

But, of course since majority of those scouts are european their opinion must hold very little value to you...

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
How come? Barkov had 48 points in 53 games in his draft year, and many scouts agree that Lundell seems even more promising than Barkov.

But, of course since majority of those scouts are european their opinion must hold very little value to you...
Like I said Barlow wouldn’t go first overall in most drafts. It was a surprise he went second in 2013. Hell of a player though.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
He might not be the same level as McDavid but what he’s done in the Q over the last 2 years is extremely impressive. Like I said he’s had a better junior career then Mackinon. Might not have the same upside but I’m sure he will be there n the NHL at 18.
numbers wise he might put up better numbers than MacKinnon but personally I do not see him as a better player than MacKinnon...Mackinnon was a game breaker, made you take notice everytime he is on the ice, Lafrenierre you have to really pay attention to him on the ice to see he is out there...Lafreniere has amazing positioning and reacts fast, always finds open ice but in the games I watched him play live and maybe I saw a bad 7 games by him but he lacked the ability to really take control of the play, had the puck knocked and poked from him on most rushes, maybe im wrong and I would love to be but his numbers in my mind do not match what he shows on the ice, I personally am not a big fan of his and I hope I just caught some bad games of his.

Reactions: Tube Skates

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
numbers wise he might put up better numbers than MacKinnon but personally I do not see him as a better player than MacKinnon...Mackinnon was a game breaker, made you take notice everytime he is on the ice, Lafrenierre you have to really pay attention to him on the ice to see he is out there...Lafreniere has amazing positioning and reacts fast, always finds open ice but in the games I watched him play live and maybe I saw a bad 7 games by him but he lacked the ability to really take control of the play, had the puck knocked and poked from him on most rushes, maybe im wrong and I would love to be but his numbers in my mind do not match what he shows on the ice, I personally am not a big fan of his and I hope I just caught some bad games of his.
I agree. He doesn’t stick out when you watch him play(most of the time) but you can’t deny his production. Kind of reminds me of Tavares in that way.

Reactions: Tube Skates

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
It is the Q, not the O.

But if Lafreniere has over 2.5 PPG next season..

a more accurate measurement would be comparing statistical performance at age, i.e. 17 years of age and not some arbitrary NHL cut off date for the purposes of a pro draft. D-1., D+1 etc. etc.

at 17 years old in the OHL McDavid had a 2.55 PPG average. What's Alexis at this year, 17 years old? 1.8 in the Q.

I don't care too much that Alexis has a late b-day and misses the NHL draft.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
a more accurate measurement would be comparing statistical performance at age, i.e. 17 years of age and not some arbitrary NHL cut off date for the purposes of a pro draft. D-1., D+1 etc. etc.

at 17 years old in the OHL McDavid had a 2.55 PPG average. What's Alexis at this year, 17 years old? 1.8 in the Q.

I don't care too much that Alexis has a late b-day and misses the NHL draft.
"At age" indeed, but it's still worth something that Lafreniere would be 9 months younger than McDavid.
Lafreniere sucked at wjc, mcdavid didnt at his age
McDavid also completely humiliated u18s opposition at the age of 16. And think about the eye test and toolset beyond production and it really is not close.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
"At age" indeed, but it's still worth something that Lafreniere would be 9 months younger than McDavid.

McDavid also completely humiliated u18s opposition at the age of 16. And think about the eye test and toolset beyond production and it really is not close.

indeed that's a plus, but a minus he's doing it in the Q. It all sort of evens out.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think you are making some good points, but its hard to argue with his production. He puts up points. He's an excellent finisher, he has high level skill, playmaking, goal scoring, and he has a terrific hockey IQ to put himself in positions to put up points.

I think MacKinnon plays a different style of game. He's more of a game-breaker, but being a game-breaker doesn't make you a better hockey player than someone who makes his mark by scoring points. Its a flashier style and a game-breaker could be better, but there are some players classified as game-breakers who won't be as good as Lafreniere because they produce less points than he does.

I don't think Lafreniere is definitely 1OA in 2020. I think the way he plays and the position he plays will leave the door open for a player who plays a different style of game to challenge him for 1OA, but he's going to be a really good NHL player. He might never become one of the faces of the NHL, but I don't think there's that much in his game to criticize, if you have realistic expectations for what to expect.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Lafreniere has a power stride like MacKinnon but not as explosive as MacK.

I love Lafreniere. He’s a type of player that always want to win. He plays like John Leclair and à bit of Stamkos in his style too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad