Speculation: Expansion draft - who are you protecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I think there is a good chance of a trade. There are teams that could use Kerfoot and Holl which are protecting worse players.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
I don't see this happening, unless its for cap purposes. With the Vegas draft, a bunch of panicy GMs got burnt by giving up assets to protect one guy while letting Vegas take the guy they REALLY wanted. I think most GMs this year aren't going to fall into that trap. With 3rd and 4th line guys, its a crapshoot. Make your decision. Protect who you can. And let the chips fall. Don't be giving away draft picks and assets to protect your 5th and 6th D. Unless you want to be clowned in the playoffs down the road by another expansion team.

Well I was more thinking about players that could be available, that Seattle might pick up, that would interest us and offer a deal parameter in advance. I agree about not making deals to protect our player... you're right. Vegas feasted on those gm's. Protect who we can and let the chips fall for sure... but keep an open mind a dialogue with seattle about someone they can get... along with any "offers" another gm might give them to "take someone else", we may be able to offer a better value than that team could offer, for a decent player that makes more sense for both.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
1.png

Who should the Leafs expose in the Expansion Draft? - TSN.ca

While there is little surprise as to some of the names that TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button would protect for Toronto in the upcoming Expansion Draft, it is who that he thinks that should be exposed that could change the look of the Leafs next season.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think there is a good chance of a trade. There are teams that could use Kerfoot and Holl which are protecting worse players.

There could be some action in the next week and a half. It might be too much turnover to move both, although we do need to make some room for Liljegren and Dermott could become a full time PK guy in place of Holl. He is really good when he gets to play on there, and could split his minutes with Liljegren to start.

Reydin

Jun 21, 2008
I really think we lose Hutchinson, we didn't allow Hakstol to go to Seattle for nothing. I see Kerfoot and Dermott being traded for a goalie and picks.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I really think we lose Hutchinson, we didn't allow Hakstol to go to Seattle for nothing. I see Kerfoot and Dermott being traded for a goalie and picks.

You think Hutch is one of the best 3 backups in the league?

Reydin

Jun 21, 2008
You think Hutch is one of the best 3 backups in the league?
Of course not. If Seattle takes him he'll be playing for their minor league team.

Seattle promises to pick Hutchinson if we let them sign Hakstol is my train of thought.

Reactions: Team First

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Of course not. If Seattle takes him he'll be playing for their minor league team.

Seattle promises to pick Hutchinson if we let them sign Hakstol is my train of thought.

I think you're reaching, but I guess it's possible.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Forwards: The Big 4. Allegedly.

D-Men: Reilly, Brodie, Muzzin, Holl.

Find a way to get Naz back. Just bench him in the playoffs. :)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I'm not sure that the Leafs could have done much to prevent Hakstol from joining Seattle since he was receiving a promotion to do so.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Most likely to be claimed. If Holl is left exposed for some reason, he would over take Kerfoot at #1.

1. Alex Kerfoot
2. Travis Dermott
3. Pierre Engvall
4. Wayne Simmonds
5. Joey Anderson
6. Adam Brooks
7. Mike Hutchinson
8. Denis Malgin

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why are we asking this question? We know who is being protected, it's the big 4 up front, it's Reilly, Brodie, Muzzin and Probably Holl on D and Campbell in net.

the only slight question is does Dermott get protected over Holl and lets be honest probably not.

The rest is obvious because doing anything else would be stupid

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Most likely to be claimed. If Holl is left exposed for some reason, he would over take Kerfoot at #1.

1. Alex Kerfoot
2. Travis Dermott
3. Pierre Engvall
4. Wayne Simmonds
5. Joey Anderson
6. Adam Brooks

7. Mike Hutchinson
8. Denis Malgin

Some additional notes here.

Seattle is allowed to claim a pending UFA, so they could theoretically take Zach Hyman and then have a short exclusive window by which only they could sign him before the free agency window opened.

Also Leafs traded Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson and Seattle could claim him seeing him as a prospect with a NHL future and then essentially that would have been the same outcome of Leafs exposing AJ as they would have no return from that initial trade. Wonder if the expansion draft was a consideration when Leafs made that trade?

How about completely out of the box thinking that hasn't been mentioned here, with your suggestions they expose Holl instead of Kerfoot. Because if that is truly their strategy then Leafs could use the 7--3-1 formation and protect all of Kerfoot, Anderson and Brooks along with 3 Dmen and Campbell to achieve that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille