Speculation: Expansion draft - who are you protecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I believe Seattle needed the Leafs permission before they could talk to him as he was still under contract.

Haksol could have just resigned from his position to accept the job. It’s just a courtesy thing to ask for permission

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

E6WbeaqXEAQXP2f

E6WbeasXMAMe-WT

E6WbeauXIAEgWg6

tronoleaf

Jun 8, 2021
The more I think about it, the more I'll be shocked if they take Kerfoot (3.5m) instead of Dermott (1.5m). Too bad for us.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
They might need a big contract like that just to hit the cap floor.

No way you risk it for 6 years or whatever is left on that deal though. The last two years, Skinner has legitimately played at a sub-NHL level. He's never been physical or good defensively, and now his offence has dried up.

They can sign guys in free agency, even overpay a bit on short term deals, if getting to the floor is a concern. Or make deals to take serviceable but overpaid players from teams where they also get a pick or whatever (eg Zaitsev).

Reydin

Jun 21, 2008
Haksol could have just resigned from his position to accept the job. It’s just a courtesy thing to ask for permission

I was curious about your response so I did a little google first thing that came up. You are correct but it does not mean there is not any under the table shenanigans. The article also did not address what if the team does not grant permission without compensation. I would imagine contracts in the 6-7 figure range would have some clause regarding this.

The Toronto Maple Leafs had to sacrifice third-round draft picks to the Detroit Red Wings and New Jersey Devils for hiring coach Mike Babcock in May and general manager Lou Lamoriello in September.

The original policy was put into effect Jan. 1, 2015, in part to allow for compensation for coaches and executives under contract who departed for a position with another team. But it morphed to include coaches and executives who had been fired but remained under contract.
Now the League will return to the previous policy, which requires teams to grant permission to its coaches and executives under contract to interview with other teams. If permission is granted and the coach or executive changes teams, there will no longer be any compensation to the team losing personnel.

NHL to end coach and executive compensation policy

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Why on Earth would Seattle take Skinner? I wouldn't take him at 50% salary, let alone full pop.

I'm not sure I would put him as my #1 left wing if I'm taking Palat too ...

Skinner scored 40 goals once and at 50% salary I would still think about it (before rejecting it).

Skinner & Laine might score 100 goals a season together and still make their own fans cry ...

For once I rather give Marner and his 26 goals carrier high a raise, than seeing Skinners or Laine on my team :D

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
If Seattle takes Kerfoot, Leafs make out like bandits. Will be a crime if Leafs leave Dermott or Holl unprotected. There are teams out there will give up assets and protect either of these two players.

Reactions: justashadowof

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Disappointing day so far. Thought trades would happen. Seattle's going to be able to pick a pretty sweet team.

If things stay as is I think the choice of whether they pick kerfoot or holl/dermott will depend more on who other teams leave available.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Looks like 7 3 1 I guess?

matty
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
McCan
Kerfoot
One of anderson/simmonds/engvall

rielly
Brodie
Muzz

Or do we still expect them to take kerfoot. And just go 4 and 4?

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Seattle has to at least hit the cap floor so they have to pick a few bigger contracts(Kerfoot) at the expansion draft.They also want to be competitive there first season.They're not going to get there by being cheap.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Disappointing day so far. Thought trades would happen. Seattle's going to be able to pick a pretty sweet team.

If things stay as is I think the choice of whether they pick kerfoot or holl/dermott will depend more on who other teams leave available.
Zeke is a prophet

Reactions: zeke

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Looks like 7 3 1 I guess?

matty
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
McCan
Kerfoot
One of anderson/simmonds/engvall

rielly
Brodie
Muzz

Or do we still expect them to take kerfoot. And just go 4 and 4?
I don’t think we can risk going 8 skaters. It has to be 7-3-1. What if they took McCann?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Has to be 7-3-1 now for the Leafs. We'll retain Kerfoot which I'm all for but one of Holl or Dermott is definitely gone now. The seventh forward to protect is the most curious to me, because as far as I can see there's no other forward really worth protecting. I suppose Engvall because Seattle isn't taking Spezza or Simmonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad