Speculation: Expansion draft - who are you protecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
We have 7 D that need to play.. Leafs are smart to pick up another forward for protection.

With Holl/Dermott gone, it allows us to see what we have in Liljegren. I was always onboard with 7/3/1, Kerfoot is a decent player at a decent cap and we have too many D.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Dermott is not under contract for 21/22 & is an RFA.
Is he excempt from being picked ?
No but RFAs would hold a risk of holding out I'd they don't want to play for that team. So I believe when a list comes out if they wanted said player they would call the agent and see if he was against it.

Kinda like we know Spezza would retire.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Has to be 7-3-1 now for the Leafs. We'll retain Kerfoot which I'm all for but one of Holl or Dermott is definitely gone now. The seventh forward to protect is the most curious to me, because as far as I can see there's no other forward really worth protecting. I suppose Engvall because Seattle isn't taking Spezza or Simmonds.
I'd protect Simmonds. Spezza said he'd retire if claimed by another team. Simmonds would be a good Reaves type of player for cheap on an expansion team.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I wonder what they could do to now preserve Justin Holl. They may have to bribe Seattle with a pick or prospect to take another player. Or they could trade them Kerfoot to take Dermott or someone else.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I could even see them expose Kerfoot still along with both Holl and Dermott, and protect Engvall and Anderson instead.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I predict the leafs protect-

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Kerfoot, Mccann, Brooks/Anderson
Muzzin, Brodie, Rielly,
Campbell

We're gonna lose Dermott...

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Likely to be a shift now with the McCann addition (7-3-1). An unprotected list doesn't matter much if a deal with Seattle is in the bag though.

Last edited:

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Likely to be a shift now with the McCann addition. An unprotected list doesn't matter much if a deal with Seattle is in the bag though.

So if a trade is happening with Seattle, it will only basically cost us a 7th if they pick McCann.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
i wonder if some sort of handshake agreement took place after the kraken offered hakstol the coaching gig in Seattle. im assuming he was under contract while the interviews were taken place just another view

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
So if a trade is happening with Seattle, it will only basically cost us a 7th if they pick McCann.

I edited my previous post. I wasn't thinking McCann would be left unprotected by Dubas. My mistake. I'm speculating that Dubas knows who Seattle is selecting from the Leafs via a side deal worked out between the teams. I could also be entirely off here and Dubas is comfortable with losing any player from the unprotected list.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Only a 7th but doesn't make sense to risk that. Would not be a good look IMO. They are either protecting him or have a side deal with Francis not to take him.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I could even see them expose Kerfoot still along with both Holl and Dermott, and protect Engvall and Anderson instead.

I think we'd be lucky if they took Engvall tbh. I don't wanna harp on the guy, but he's not especially good vs his contract which I think hurts his utility to us. If he had signed closer to league min I'd be inclined to keep him as he can be moved up/down, but he doesn't typically play well enough or hard enough to deserve to stay in, and his contract isn't one we can afford to healthy scratch. I don't see it happening for him here. We need more reliable players.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think we'd be lucky if they took Engvall tbh. I don't wanna harp on the guy, but he's not especially good vs his contract which I think hurts his utility to us. If he had signed closer to league min I'd be inclined to keep him as he can be moved up/down, but he doesn't typically play well enough or hard enough to deserve to stay in, and his contract isn't one we can afford to healthy scratch. I don't see it happening for him here. We need more reliable players.

honestly i love the kid and would hate to lose him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brown Dog

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't really care who they lose in the expansion draft, if top 4 forward and top 3 defenders are retained.

They have to lose someone, they got paid money for that player.

Everything else is support.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I wonder what they could do to now preserve Justin Holl. They may have to bribe Seattle with a pick or prospect to take another player. Or they could trade them Kerfoot to take Dermott or someone else.

So you want to lose Dermott and Kerfoot to keep Holl?

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I’m excited to get McCann. He could thrive here and it gives us (currently) two options as 3rd center or top 6 LW with kerfoot. I’ve wrestled with Holl vs Dermott so we let the Kraken decide.

as people pointed out, we may have a side deal there anyway.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Seattle could legit pick Tarasenko McDonagh Domi Driedger etc and then sign Dougie, Danault, Krejci etc.

Leaffan197703

May 29, 2021
Losing hall or dermott will sting but other teams lost better players in the expansion draft like Anaheim with Theodore and Columbus with karlson and a first round pick throw in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad