Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
There are probably other teams that have better 1 to 2 string goalie pair that we can take 1 from.
I'm keeping a close eye on how Markstrom does in Vancouver this year. His contract will be up after this season and as of now Demko is still expected to take the reigns from him at some point. Demko becomes an RFA after 2020-21, so I'm curious who Vancouver decides to protect in the expansion draft.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm keeping a close eye on how Markstrom does in Vancouver this year. His contract will be up after this season and as of now Demko is still expected to take the reigns from him at some point. Demko becomes an RFA after 2020-21, so I'm curious who Vancouver decides to protect in the expansion draft.

I'm concerned with our D as well. Myers, Edler (UFA), Stecher(due a new contract), Hughes and hopefully one more like Juolevi or a new acquisition in the mix...we could Seattle get a very good player, as opposed to Sbisa.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend

I'd be surprised if Vancouver didn't make Markstrom a priority as he had flashes of looking like a top ten goalie last season and putting it together for the first time in his career. Demko isn't a certainty yet as he had a couple of games where he got lit up last season. But given Canucks General Manager Jim Benning, I'm sure the Canucks will make the dumbest move possible which hopefully Seattle will capitalize on.

Hopefully Seattle can build from the net out. That Vegas draft was once in a life time but hopefully Francis surrounds himself with the right group to make a killing like McPhee and Vegas did.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
2021 Expansion Draft

After the spate of early July signings, I've updated my notes on the Sharks expansion draft possibilities.

Still a whole bunch of players with expiring contracts next summer with unknown future (who might or might not be re-signing with organization), so unknown potential availables/exposed.

All players starting their ELS (actually playing on it, not sliding a year) this season will still be exempt. (And there are still all the unsigned prospects and college kids; plus 2020 draftees and free agent rookie signings.)

For the VGK expansion draft, the Sharks actually signed a defenseman and forward to 2-year deals the summer before the expansion draft on the assumption that they'd be exposed. (Schlemko and Boedker; Schlemko was selected in the expansion draft.)

Last edited:

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Anaheim is going to expose Comtois,Manson and Jones...take your pick Seattle Totems/Sockeyes!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
The Buffalo Sabres will be one team looking to cut a deal with the Seattle Sockeyes/Totems! The Sabres are flush with forwards and likewise on defense. Dahlin will get a huge deal after ELC and others will look to cash in! Scandella could be gone after 2020 and McCabe will look for a pay hike as will Montour if he gets back from IR. Samuelsson will be turning pro soon in all likelihood so...available for Seattle Montour,Miller(UFA in 2022),aging Okposo(31-32) and Asplund with Sabres kicking in a high pick to protect Jokiharju! PS Hope Sabres don't turn young Ryan Johnson pro after 1 year in college...they will turn Cozens pro next year that's a given...he's lighting up the WHL...

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
There are probably other teams that have better 1 to 2 string goalie pair that we can take 1 from.
The Calgary Flames are going to be in jam with a lot of 30 something D-men. Surely Hanifan and Andersson will be protected. On Offense Monahan,Tkachuk,Gaudreau,Lindholm,Backlund,maybe Bennett..Mangiapane...Dube...Lucic will be bought after 2020 and what of Captain Gioordano who'll be 37-38 when Seattle calls out names...Brodie and Hamonic will be 31 also...so Valimaki,Jankowski,Hamonic,Brodie,Giordano...

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
And the Seattle Sockeyes take from the Chicago Black Hawks...Andrew Shaw,Connor Murphy,Calvin de Haan or...Brent Seabrooke with agreement that a first rounder will tossed their way in 2022 or 2023!

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Not sure Van protects Markstrom he'll be 31-32 and the NYR don't have to protect Shestorkin...forget Lundquist he'll have retired
NYR would definitely be looking to protect Georgieve if he's not traded by then.

My real concern is that Seattle can grab a valuable defenseman--Trouba would require NMC protection, but DeAngelo, Hajek, Skjei, and Lindgren would all be eligible for selection by that point.

Strome, Lemieux, Anderson, or Howden would likely be exposed up front if still here.

We're in a position where we'll likely have to bribe Seattle to take someone we don't mind losing.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
NYR would definitely be looking to protect Georgieve if he's not traded by then.

My real concern is that Seattle can grab a valuable defenseman--Trouba would require NMC protection, but DeAngelo, Hajek, Skjei, and Lindgren would all be eligible for selection by that point.

Strome, Lemieux, Anderson, or Howden would likely be exposed up front if still here.

We're in a position where we'll likely have to bribe Seattle to take someone we don't mind losing.
Haven't looked at the Rangers much but I expect Andersson and Howden to fight for that last 7 forward spot,unless they don't bring Kreider back and that's a possibility with 4.6 M contract and a wish to renegotiate! Lemieux will be exposed unless Andersson faulters! On Defense Hajek and DeAngelo fight for the 3rd spot.The Rangers have a bunch of players ineligible for Seattle to take...Kakko,Kravtsov,Lundvist,Miller,Fox,Robertson and Shestorkin! So I say Andersson,Howden or Lemieux on the offense or Hajek or DeAngelo on defense! In two years I expect the group of players to either make themselves into legit NHLers or not! So the Rangers may lose someone of value

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Columbus got a huge break when the final draft date came out as 2021 and not 2020. CBJ fans would be puking if they
had to protect Foligno and Dubinsky, they will both be off the books in 2021.

I would expect Seattle to get a much better D man than Forward from the Jackets,
since their forward group is pretty damn sad.

If Merzlikins settles in and plays like he has on the international stage,
that would cause them to have to expose either him or Korpisalo.

EDIT: I'm not sure Merzlikins would have to be exposed.

Columbus can't f*** up as bad as they did with the Vegas draft, I hope not anyways.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Swedish guy who lives in Portland OR here. Looking forward to watch some NHL games in the future. Hopefully Seattle will get a decent team right away. Who are the goalies you are interested in?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Swedish guy who lives in Portland OR here. Looking forward to watch some NHL games in the future. Hopefully Seattle will get a decent team right away. Who are the goalies you are interested in?

It's 18+ months until the expansion draft.

Lots of UFAs, RFAs to be signed this summer and/or traded/extended.

IOW, really up in the air as to which players will even be exposed/available.

Ideally, you have a team protecting a youngish guy and exposing their serviceable, former #1 guy (ala Marc-Andre Fleury).

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's 18+ months until the expansion draft.

Lots of UFAs, RFAs to be signed this summer and/or traded/extended.

IOW, really up in the air as to which players will even be exposed/available.

Ideally, you have a team protecting a youngish guy and exposing their serviceable, former #1 guy (ala Marc-Andre Fleury).

Pittsburgh is in an interesting spot with Murray and Jarry. Fitzpatrick, Allen and Husso will all be exposed by St. Louis likely. Vancouver is also in a spot with Markstrom and Demko. I think you are likely to see both Pitts and Van try and move their extra goalie at some point to a team who needs one so they can get some assets back, but they could both end up having to expose one. A Markstrom/Murray tandem to start out with could be decent enough. Both seem to play better with lighter workloads.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Pittsburgh is in an interesting spot with Murray and Jarry. Fitzpatrick, Allen and Husso will all be exposed by St. Louis likely. Vancouver is also in a spot with Markstrom and Demko. I think you are likely to see both Pitts and Van try and move their extra goalie at some point to a team who needs one so they can get some assets back, but they could both end up having to expose one. A Markstrom/Murray tandem to start out with could be decent enough. Both seem to play better with lighter workloads.

Can't really see VAN re-signing Markstrom without giving him protection from the draft.

What the team does with Demko will be interesting though.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Can't really see VAN re-signing Markstrom without giving him protection from the draft.

What the team does with Demko will be interesting though.

I'll be surpirsed if seattle takes him if he's exposed. Vancovuer is not that great of a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad