Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
There's no way anything like a "roster freeze" would happen during a season just because we're part of the league a couple months later.

That didn't happen for Vegas and won't happen for us.

Still, there'll be good players and deals available during the expansion draft thanks to the rules and limitations of protecting players.

Though, I wouldn't look at Vegas exactly at what to expect.

1) No one expected them to do what they did.
2) Teams are just four years removed from the last expansion draft(with the same rules) and should've learned from it.
3) Teams had 2 1/2 years time to prepare themselves and their rosters for this, instead of just roughly one year they had before Vegas held their expansion draft.

But even with all that being said I'm really excited about the expansion(and entry) draft next summer and it should be a lot of fun for Seattle fans.
I just hope the team can somehow find a way to finally release the name and colours so we at least have something to talk about until next summer.

Reactions: andys

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Why do you say that? They will protect K Hayes,Giroux,Konecny,Patrick,Couturier,Voracek,van Riemsdyk...Provorov,Sanheim,Gostibehere and Hart! They will offer Seattle some players to stay away from certain players that's a given in my books

What if they have 4 defensemen they want to protect from Seattle. They would have to go with the other option. of 8 skaters (F/D) and a goalie.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There's no way anything like a "roster freeze" would happen during a season just because we're part of the league a couple months later.

Still, there'll be good players and deals available during the expansion draft thanks to the rules and limitations of protecting players.

2) Teams are just four years removed from the last expansion draft(with the same rules) and should've learned from it.
3) Teams had 2 1/2 years time to prepare themselves and their rosters for this, instead of just roughly one year they had before Vegas held their expansion draft.

But even with all that being said I'm really excited about the expansion(and entry) draft next summer and it should be a lot of fun for Seattle fans.
I just hope the team can somehow find a way to finally release the name and colours so we at least have something to talk about until next summer.

We don't know how much the virus ordeal with have on the salary cap to where it changes how the 30 teams go into preparing their protected list and potential side deals.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
What if they have 4 defensemen they want to protect from Seattle. They would have to go with the other option. of 8 skaters (F/D) and a goalie.
Good-great forwards are harder to come by and besides Prov,Ghost and Sanheim who is there? Myers? Then Ghost will get peddled. Don't see the Flyers going the 4-4-1(8) skaters route

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

A lot of NHL teams have maneuvered themselves for this expansion draft for sure. Many have gotten a lot younger and there will more players on existing NHL teams exempt because of age and years of NHL service! However this expansion is not devoid of talent and there will be some NHL teams scrambling to offset some big losses. Hopefully Seattle gets some good players...I was hoping C Granato would instruct her scouts to go out and sign some college FA's and then loan them to an independent like Chicago Wolves for a year. Since Seattle is not going to get an amateur ready from the Entry draft for at least the 2022-23 season. Its either that or scour Europe and get some Futures contracts on some promising talent!

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
A lot of NHL teams have maneuvered themselves for this expansion draft for sure. Many have gotten a lot younger and there will more players on existing NHL teams exempt because of age and years of NHL service! However this expansion is not devoid of talent and there will be some NHL teams scrambling to offset some big losses. Hopefully Seattle gets some good players...I was hoping C Granato would instruct her scouts to go out and sign some college FA's and then loan them to an independent like Chicago Wolves for a year. Since Seattle is not going to get an amateur ready from the Entry draft for at least the 2022-23 season. Its either that or scour Europe and get some Futures contracts on some promising talent!

Depends on the draft pool, there could be enough gems out there that we can get one that's ready now.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Good-great forwards are harder to come by and besides Prov,Ghost and Sanheim who is there? Myers? Then Ghost will get peddled. Don't see the Flyers going the 4-4-1(8) skaters route
Traditionally teams have been built from the goalie out. With that said there might not be one obvious choice in goal but there will be plenty of defensemen that can play a solid enough game to make the team competitive. It really is too soon to start looking at who might be available for the 2021 season. I'm not even sure the arena will be completed on time. They have less than 17 months to complete construction and its going to be close.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Traditionally teams have been built from the goalie out. With that said there might not be one obvious choice in goal but there will be plenty of defensemen that can play a solid enough game to make the team competitive. It really is too soon to start looking at who might be available for the 2021 season. I'm not even sure the arena will be completed on time. They have less than 17 months to complete construction and its going to be close.
I think goal is the easiest position to predict for Expansion mainly because once entrenched there is usually not much movement from year to year among NHL teams. Off the top of my head the only 'tender I can think of that moves into a starring role is Igor Shestyorkin! The rest are pretty much set

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

So far everything has gone accordingly regarding the arena.
They've had hardly any stoppages or delays on the arena and are scheduled to finish everything on time.

Though, we'll have to wait and see how things will go from here on out with this pandamic not going anywhere soon.

Also, given those extensions by teams it actually gets more clear every day which players could be available next summer.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
So far everything has gone accordingly regarding the arena.
They've had hardly any stoppages or delays on the arena and are scheduled to finish everything on time.

Though, we'll have to wait and see how things will go from here on out with this pandamic not going anywhere soon.

Also, given those extensions by teams it actually gets more clear every day which players could be available next summer.

Arena construction was allowed to continue during the states stay at home cause its a city owned facility and cause they need to get the roof onto its pernament new foundation footings.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Why do you say that? They will protect K Hayes,Giroux,Konecny,Patrick,Couturier,Voracek,van Riemsdyk...Provorov,Sanheim,Gostibehere and Hart! They will offer Seattle some players to stay away from certain players that's a given in my books

The HOPE is Patrick and/or Lindblom show enough next year to keep. Of course too early to tell.

With salary cap situation for 2021(RFA Hart, Sanhein, UFA Laughton) JVR for 7m will be out there.

Flyer fan dream keepers
7f
Giroux(NMC)
Hayes (NMC)
Couts
Konecky
Voracek
Lindblom
Patrick
3d
Myers
Provorov
Sanheim
1g
Hart
Best available
JVR 7m
Ghost 4.5m
Kubel say 1.5mish

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I wouldn't touch J van for a Million or is that 7 M bucks. Actually 3 more years and 19 M left...no thanks...I'd take Hagg or one of Laughton or Lindblom whichever doesn't get protected

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Gostisbehere will be traded and something coming back to the Flyers and of course they will turn Cam York pro next season 2021-22 to fill in the vacancy!

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I wouldn't touch J van for a Million or is that 7 M bucks. Actually 3 more years and 19 M left...no thanks...I'd take Hagg or one of Laughton or Lindblom whichever doesn't get protected
JVR is overpaid at 7m.
Laughton ufa 2021. So won't be available.
Lindblom if he shows anything will be kept.
Hagg on behalf of Flyer fandom please please please take.

Reactions: sigma six

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

There was a trade freeze before the Vegas expansion draft. Or is that not what you're talking about?

(There's a roster freeze around holidays. Teams cannot recall nor assign players to/from AHL, unless emergency situation.)

We don't know how much the virus ordeal with have on the salary cap to where it changes how the 30 teams go into preparing their protected list and potential side deals.

Regardless, Seattle with have $80m+ to play with. And need to get $50-60m via expansion draft.

My current thinking is that regardless of what the calculations for salary cap based on previous season HRR and estimate income for the upcoming season is, the cap will be at least flat (compared to 2019-2020) for 2020-2021 and for a few years.

I was hoping C Granato would instruct her scouts to go out and sign some college FA's and then loan them to an independent like Chicago Wolves for a year. Since Seattle is not going to get an amateur ready from the Entry draft for at least the 2022-23 season. Its either that or scour Europe and get some Futures contracts on some promising talent!

NHL Seattle can sign NO PLAYERS until they complete purchase, and pay the full amount of the expansion fee and submit the feet of franchise paperwork. (VGK made their final payment and were permitted to start signing players March 1, 2017. They signed their first player, undrafted free agent Reid Duke, on March 6.)

And it's not Cammi who directs the organization to sign players (as a scout). It's the GM (or AGM) who signs on the dotted line.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There was a trade freeze before the Vegas expansion draft. Or is that not what you're talking about?

(There's a roster freeze around holidays. Teams cannot recall nor assign players to/from AHL, unless emergency situation.)

Regardless, Seattle with have $80m+ to play with. And need to get $50-60m via expansion draft.

My current thinking is that regardless of what the calculations for salary cap based on previous season HRR and estimate income for the upcoming season is, the cap will be at least flat (compared to 2019-2020) for 2020-2021 and for a few years.

NHL Seattle can sign NO PLAYERS until they complete purchase, and pay the full amount of the expansion fee and submit the feet of franchise paperwork. (VGK made their final payment and were permitted to start signing players March 1, 2017. They signed their first player, undrafted free agent Reid Duke, on March 6.)

And it's not Cammi who directs the organization to sign players (as a scout). It's the GM (or AGM) who signs on the dotted line.

Not sure how the payment works to the nhl x amount per month per 2 months 3?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

It's spelled out in the purchase agreement (which I do not know the terms of).

There was a deposit made when application was first submitted. It might be something like $50m/month over 12 months (after $50m deposit). :dunno:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Thanks for the info.

Though, that's still before the trading deadline which should be the final indicator for us who might be available next summer.

I think there's a certain number of installments and I think in one of Bakers last articles he wrote about Francis still being on the outside looking in because we haven't paid all of those and won't pay the final one until some point next year.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Arena construction was allowed to continue during the states stay at home cause its a city owned facility and cause they need to get the roof onto its pernament new foundation footings.
The end of this week's accomplishment is seen below.
9EMrTV3.jpg

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The NHL has decided on that 24 team play-in Playoff format and will start sometime in July or August.
That also means the season will probably go until about September/October and the 2020-21 season won't start before December or even January of 2021.

That could also mean the 2021-22 season being pushed back and as well as the expansion draft, as the 2020-21 season might take a little bit longer.

Gonna be interesting to see how things develop from here on, but I've got my doubts that the expansion draft(as well as the 2021 entry draft) will be next June and it could also mean that the 2021-22 season might start later than usually.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

JVR will be available at 7m. Good player but overpaid. makes making cap that much easier. The hope would be Lindblom recovers from cancer and be 7th player. TBD of course. Otherwise Kubel or a resigned Laughton is the 7th f. They could expose Voracek at 8.25m for 3 years but for sake of this we'll say he is safe.

Myers is the 3rd not Ghost. Myers has a 10+ year future as minimum 2nd pairing d-man. There is zero possibility he is left unprotected.

Ghost is the player available (assuming not traded just before ED) UNLESS Patrick can't recover, Lindblom can't recover and Ghost is 50 point player again. That is a lot of ifs.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
JVR will be available at 7m. Good player but overpaid. makes making cap that much easier. The hope would be Lindblom recovers from cancer and be 7th player. TBD of course. Otherwise Kubel or a resigned Laughton is the 7th f. They could expose Voracek at 8.25m for 3 years but for sake of this we'll say he is safe.

Myers is the 3rd not Ghost. Myers has a 10+ year future as minimum 2nd pairing d-man. There is zero possibility he is left unprotected.

Ghost is the player available (assuming not traded just before ED) UNLESS Patrick can't recover, Lindblom can't recover and Ghost is 50 point player again. That is a lot of ifs.
Seen Myers play and I'm not convinced he's much more than a 5th D-man,but if you say they'll protect him 'll believe you! Lots to be determined over the next 13 months!

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Seen Myers play and I'm not convinced he's much more than a 5th D-man,but if you say they'll protect him 'll believe you! Lots to be determined over the next 13 months!
Myers is way more than 5th d-man. Floor is 2nd pair ceiling is 1st pair 2nd d-man. Physical skills all over the place. Positioning is his issue. First 50 games he had his looking like a dog trying to fetch the puck issues. And slot is open and BAM. Last 20 games much better. Sanheim and Myers had very good chemistry together. You can teach 23 year old d-men d-man better positioning.

Myers would be less salary, rhd (Sanheim, Provorov, Ghost all lhd), younger, better defender for sure. Ghost more O upside of course.

Ghost would be the D available IF Flyers made no moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad