Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
They’re definitely a team that will have a tough decision to make if they end up retaining all of their defense. Do you lose a guy like Pesce/Faulk, or do you gut your prospects trying to save them?

Who knows how they will look in 2.5 years but they are deep on quality D and will most likely have to go with 7/3 protection option.

Slavin (will be protected)
Pesce (will be protected if he's still here)
Faulk (I'm hoping he's traded for forward help soon; otherwise UFA in 2020)
Hamilton (will be UFA in 2021)
Fleury (he should grow into a top-4 role)
TVR (UFA in 2020)
Bean (could grow into top-4 role)
Fox (will be eligible if he signs and plays next year; could be top-2/4 guy)
McKeown (solid 3rd pairing/depth)

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Who knows how they will look in 2.5 years but they are deep on quality D and will most likely have to go with 7/3 protection option.

Slavin (will be protected)
Pesce (will be protected if he's still here)
Faulk (I'm hoping he's traded for forward help soon; otherwise UFA in 2020)
Hamilton (will be UFA in 2021)
Fleury (he should grow into a top-4 role)
TVR (UFA in 2020)
Bean (could grow into top-4 role)
Fox (will be eligible if he signs and plays next year; could be top-2/4 guy)
McKeown (solid 3rd pairing/depth)

Ya that’s what I mean about retaining everyone. If they lose Faulk and Hamilton (trade or free agency), it simplifies things a fair bit. If they sign them again, it gets a LOT more interesting. You might have give up other assets AND lose a guy like Bean

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This XD is not going to be as good as it was for Vegas. The NHL needs to enforce a trade freeze after the 2020 trade deadline until the expansion draft so Vegas can't take advantage of the situation given their unique circumstances.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
This XD is not going to be as good as it was for Vegas. The NHL needs to enforce a trade freeze after the 2020 trade deadline until the expansion draft so Vegas can't take advantage of the situation given their unique circumstances.

It's so far away that we can't really tell who's going to be picked, but I can guarantee that Seattle will pick some quality players, either from stacked teams or players who haven't broken out yet. Now I doubt Seattle will be as successful as Vegas in its first year, but they can still be a borderline playoff team if they play their cards right.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I’m sure the league would decline a trade if it’s just for the purpose of circumventing expansion

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
It's so far away that we can't really tell who's going to be picked, but I can guarantee that Seattle will pick some quality players, either from stacked teams or players who haven't broken out yet. Now I doubt Seattle will be as successful as Vegas in its first year, but they can still be a borderline playoff team if they play their cards right.
I think they will get some good players but I also think NHL GMs have learned lessons from the Vegas draft and will not be caught with their pants down again.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I’m sure the league would decline a trade if it’s just for the purpose of circumventing expansion

The Vegas thing is a problem even if the league prevented obviously abusive trades. Having one team not be subject to the XD reduces Seattle leverage as it provides GMs a trade destination for players they can't protect if they don't like Seattle GMs terms. I think the provision should be that you are not allowed to make trades with Vegas after the deadline till after the XD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Name Nameless

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The NHL did have a window around the expansion drafts that teams could not do any trading (except to Vegas).

Sharks traded Mueller to NJD before that window hit.

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
The Seattle Hockey Analytics Conference happened this past weekend at UW.

And, of course, if you've got a ton of hockey analytics people in Seattle, you do a mock expansion draft. Here's what happened:
SeaHAC Expansion Exercise - NHL to SEATTLE

Not bad work. Seattle is probably going to get one of the Flyer's young defenseman but I doubt it will be Phil Myers. Aside from Provorov, I think Myers has the best all-around game, is right-handed, and will be protected. I don't see the Flyers protecting both Gostisbehere and Sandhiem even though that seems obvious now based on current NHL production. I wouldn't be surprised if the Flyer's trade Ghost this summer or before the ED. Now that the Flyers are essentially out of the playoff race, Sam Morin should be up with the team soon. Keep an eye on him, he could be the one that ends up in Seattle.

Last edited:

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Not bad work. Seattle is probably going to get one of the Flyer's young defenseman prospects but I doubt it will be Phil Myers. Aside from Provorov, I think Myers has the best all-around game, is right-handed, and will be protected. I don't see the Flyers protecting Gostisbehere and Sandhiem even though that seems obvious now based on current NHL production. I wouldn't be surprised if the Flyer's trade Ghost this summer or before the ED. Now that the Flyers are essentially out of the playoff race, Sam Morin should be up with the team soon. Keep an eye on him, he could be the one that ends up in Seattle.

There is zero chance of the Flyers not protecting Sanheim, in my opinion. Flyers will either move one of the 4 or make a deal with Seattle in order to keep them all. Something like offering a pick to take JVR would make sense. Morin could be an intriguing possibility, but for the love of God stay far away from Hagg. Gudas may go elsewhere in free agency before then, and if there is any sanity left in the league, Andy MacDonald will not be in it. I honestly think Seattle will end up with a forward from Philly. That being said, if one of those top 4 are left unprotected with no deals, you snag them without even thinking about it.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There is zero chance of the Flyers not protecting Sanheim, in my opinion. Flyers will either move one of the 4 or make a deal with Seattle in order to keep them all. Something like offering a pick to take JVR would make sense. Morin could be an intriguing possibility, but for the love of God stay far away from Hagg. Gudas may go elsewhere in free agency before then, and if there is any sanity left in the league, Andy MacDonald will not be in it. I honestly think Seattle will end up with a forward from Philly. That being said, if one of those top 4 are left unprotected with no deals, you snag them without even thinking about it.

I doubt the 30 teams would be making side deals like what some teams did with Vegas. Note all 30 teams will lose a player.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I doubt the 30 teams would be making side deals like what some teams did with Vegas. Note all 30 teams will lose a player.
I doubt anything is much different versus the last expansion draft. Every deal made with VGK benefited the team that made them at the time. The fact that the Knights wound up as the team they did was external to the deals that were actually made and had more to do with the VGK front office choosing the right tactic 30 times versus making just one deal with a team.

For anything to change versus the last round of expansion, GMs would have to work together to keep Seattle "down" versus making the best deal for their team at the time.

I expect Seattle to have the same opportunities as Vegas with similar results. The differences will be the element of surprise and having an exempt team in the mix that may also offer deals. However, if Seattle makes GMs take a "vow" like McPhee did, they can mitigate some of the Vegas angle.

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
Forwards:
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares
Kapanen
Kadri
Johnsson

Defense:
Rielly
Dermott
Muzzin

Goalie:
Andersen

Best available options:
LW Zach Hyman
RW Trevor Moore
D Calle Rosen

This should be another easy expansion draft for the Leafs

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The expansion draft rules require teams to protect players with NMCs. So, with the new contract that has a NMC, he wouldn't be exposed, regardless.

Sharks will probably protect Vlasic, Burns and Karlsson as their three D.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The expansion draft rules require teams to protect players with NMCs. So, with the new contract that has a NMC, he wouldn't be exposed, regardless.

Sharks will probably protect Vlasic, Burns and Karlsson as their three D.

Right. I am aware of the NMC needing to be project. I was just pointing out that NMC in my opinion wasn't necessary. MLS has a similar rule to where contracts with no trade clause has to be protected in expansion drafts.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I did the mock on capfriendly, just guessing at who would be protected.
Defense:
Brodie
T van Riemsdyk
Pulock
Grzelcyk
Ceci
Hagg
Ruhwedel
Ryan Murphy
Edmundson

hmmmm

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Is their back up starting to perform better than Lundqvist? Remember its still 2 years away.
Exactly, plenty of time for him to take over. Plus, Seattle probably wouldn't take Lundqvist any way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad