Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Vaakanainen exempt
Vaankanainen will have 3 years of experience after next season so he will not be exempt and I don't see the Bruins protecting him unless he has a monster season in 2020-21 and changes people's minds

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Vaankanainen will have 3 years of experience after next season so he will not be exempt and I don't see the Bruins protecting him unless he has a monster season in 2020-21 and changes people's minds
He’s exempt like Studnicka- same class

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Well they have to take someone, and I would think Demko would be pretty clearly the best option unless changes dramatically next season.
I have Demko going to Seattle also unless he blows the doors off next season. Quick will be the other goaltender they take along with some other picks that gives them extra benefits(like a first rounder or two) from shying away from players or prospects

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I have Demko going to Seattle also unless he blows the doors off next season. Quick will be the other goaltender they take along with some other picks that gives them extra benefits(like a first rounder or two) from shying away from players or prospects

There will be younger goalies avaiable to pick than quick by the time the expansion draft happens

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
There will be younger goalies available to pick than quick by the time the expansion draft happens
Want to venture a guess as to who?I've got Demko,Lindgren,Campbell,Reimer,Howard,Allen,Rinne,Halak,Raanta,Stalock,Hutton,Greiss,Lundqvist,off the top of my head.Quick will be 'tender and either Marlstrom or Demko as the backup in the wings and Lindgren too!

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I understand what you're saying here and I fully support using the expansion draft to make deals and get extra picks/young players while taking players other teams might want to get rid off.

Though, the Kings are a pretty bad example for that IMO.
They're in a full rebuild but hardly got any assets to give up/which are expandable to them.
So they surely would like us to take someone like Quick(just like Brown or Carter), but they just don't have any picks besides their own(unless you're happy with a couple of 2nd rounders from most likely playoff teams) and certainly won't trade those to get rid off him.

So unless they're able to find some trades netting them first rounders or talented youth from other teams, they just won't have anything worth taking on Quick's contract.

As far as goalies goes:
We better watch out what happens in places like Pittsburgh or Vancouver while Columbus just extended both of their goalies until 2022.

BTW: I found a nice article about the possible protections for the expansion draft on roto wire.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I understand what you're saying here and I fully support using the expansion draft to make deals and get extra picks/young players while taking players other teams might want to get rid off.

Though, the Kings are a pretty bad example for that IMO.
They're in a full rebuild but hardly got any assets to give up/which are expandable to them.
So they surely would like us to take someone like Quick(just like Brown or Carter), but they just don't have any picks besides their own(unless you're happy with a couple of 2nd rounders from most likely playoff teams) and certainly won't trade those to get rid off him.

So unless they're able to find some trades netting them first rounders or talented youth from other teams, they just won't have anything worth taking on Quick's contract.

As far as goalies goes:
We better watch out what happens in places like Pittsburgh or Vancouver while Columbus just extended both of their goalies until 2022.

BTW: I found a nice article about the possible protections for the expansion draft on roto wire.
For the most part I like your article and Roto article. I've done my own list and I'm sticking to it. I think Seattle takes Quick for the purpose of trading him at the 2022 deadline to a contender in desperate need of a Stanley Cup winner

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
For the most part I like your article and Roto article. I've done my own list and I'm sticking to it. I think Seattle takes Quick for the purpose of trading him at the 2022 deadline to a contender in desperate need of a Stanley Cup winner

I get what you're saying but I highly doubt that happening.

Quick has been on the decline(from his incredible play earlier in his career) for some time and is owed $5.8 mil per season until 2023.
So I doubt any contender would trade for him in February of 2022 while he still has 18 months left on his contract at that price.
Those teams usually are close to or basically at(over) the cap and won't add that kind of salary unless they see it as the final piece of the puzzle.
And a then 36 year old Quick won't fit that idea IMO.

Also, there should be other options at goal for us.
Vancouver(Markstrom, Demko), Pittsburgh(Murray, Jarry), NYR(they would need a third goalie to keep Georgiev from the list), Arizona(if they keep Raanta), Colorado(Grubauer, Francouz), St. Louis(most likely Jake Allen), Toronto(Andersen, Campbell) or Washington(if they keep Holtby and Samsonov) could all offer interesting options for us.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I get what you're saying but I highly doubt that happening.

Quick has been on the decline(from his incredible play earlier in his career) for some time and is owed $5.8 mil per season until 2023.
So I doubt any contender would trade for him in February of 2022 while he still has 18 months left on his contract at that price.
Those teams usually are close to or basically at(over) the cap and won't add that kind of salary unless they see it as the final piece of the puzzle.
And a then 36 year old Quick won't fit that idea IMO.

Also, there should be other options at goal for us.
Vancouver(Markstrom, Demko), Pittsburgh(Murray, Jarry), NYR(they would need a third goalie to keep Georgiev from the list), Arizona(if they keep Raanta), Colorado(Grubauer, Francouz), St. Louis(most likely Jake Allen), Toronto(Andersen, Campbell) or Washington(if they keep Holtby and Samsonov) could all offer interesting options for us.
Washington makes a deal with Seattle to keep both their 'tenders! Dtto with Vancouver. Quick's cap hit for the Kings is 5.8 M for 3 more years. Actual payout for LA or other teams is 3.5M(2020-21),3.0M(2021-22) and 2.5M for 2022-23...quite reasonable for a goaltender that could win some really important games in the play-offs or maybe the Stanley Cup finals(hello Carolina...Boston...NYIsles

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Washington makes a deal with Seattle to keep both their 'tenders! Dtto with Vancouver. Quick's cap hit for the Kings is 5.8 M for 3 more years. Actual payout for LA or other teams is 3.5M(2020-21),3.0M(2021-22) and 2.5M for 2022-23...quite reasonable for a goaltender that could win some really important games in the play-offs or maybe the Stanley Cup finals(hello Carolina...Boston...NYIsles

I just don't see this one happening as long as the Kings don't give us something really nice and I just don't see them having those kind of assets/not able or willing to give up for a move like this.
They're actually in a pretty good situation in regards to the expansion draft, cause they'll be able to protect anything of value for their rebuild and won't lose much no matter who we'll take.

I also don't see teams taking on a guy like that just for a one year run and the possibility to pay him $2.5 mil for nothing.
Those $2.5 mil could get them a really solid piece for another run the year after.

BTW: We'll need a solid goaltender to make something happening(as I doubt we paid all that money and demanded the same rules as Vegas to start out as a competitive team) and I doubt all of those teams are going to be interested to give up something of solid value(1st rounder, young talent or multiple picks) just to keep another player.

They can all still remember the Vegas expansion and how quite a few of them got played by them on those deals while also knowing that they're bound to lose a good player.

Anyways, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one and see what the future actually brings. ;)

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Edmonton is probably gonna lose a prospect in Seattle's expansion draft. They have a number of them that would be entering their 3rd year. Only first and 2nd year are auto protected.
I think Edmonton protects Klefbom,Nurse,Bear and Jones and exposes Larsson!

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think Edmonton protects Klefbom,Nurse,Bear and Jones and exposes Larsson!

I also think they'll protect four defensmen and I surely could see them protect Jones over Larsson.
At that point we would have a choice of Larsson(though, right now an UFA in 2021) or Athanasiou(they seem to be interested in keeping him after spending those two 2nd rounders), given that they'll most likely protect Yamamoto(next to Draisaitl, McDavid and Nugent-Hopkins) over him.

Of course unless there's an offer to take some else(besides James Neal and his contract) and be compensated with picks/talents by doing so.

Reactions: andys

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Athanasiou is someone I think will have a great season next to McSavior or Draisaitl. It will be Yamamoto or Athanasiou or Larsson depending on(the seasons they have) and whether the Oilers go 7-3-1 or 4-4-1. I like Larsson because he's a RD-man and can lead the defense. But good point with Athanasiou! It will be great to see Seattle with a hockey team! Used to go to Vancouver and watch a CFL game on a Saturday then Seattle for the SeaHawks on Sunday...Canucks and the Kraken...have they hinted at the name? Will they release the Kraken? Great name,I liked Totems(old name),Thunderbirds is pretty cool too!

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I've watched most Oilers games this season(being a german and excited about what Draisaitl's doing) and I can't see any scenario where they don't protect Yamamoto over a guy like Athanasiou.

McDavid and Draisaitl are locks and Nugent-Hopkins is an Edmonton guy and also worked really well with Draisaitl and Yamamoto on that line.

But as you've said, it will be interesting what format of protection(4-4-1 or 7-3-1) they'll use.
Though, right now going 4-4-1 is the most likely thing to do, because they just don't have enough good forwards to only protect three defenders and risk losing one of them instead.

BTW: I'm also interested to see what a team like Tampa Bay does.
They've got a lot of talent and won't be able to protect all of them.
So I wouldn't be suprised if they'd try to offer something else(picks, players) to protect more of their core just like they did back in 2017 with Vegas.

The same also goes for Toronto, who should have some decent players being left unprotected as long as they can't find some trades till next seasons trade deadline.

As far as the name goes.
That's actually still in the air but Kraken or Sockeyes seem to be the most likely for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: andys

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Tampa for sure will have to make something happen or offer Seattle something decent to stay away from certain players. See the same thing happening in Philadelphia where they have a slew of forwards to protect and even some defense. From Philly I have Seattle taking Hagg,Myers,Laughton or Lindblom! The Flyers definitely go 7-3-1. Heard some Philly fans say they will trade Gostibehere and protect Myers because he's a RD-man...Buffalo may also be in the same boat with a lot of defense and few spots! I hope the NHL puts a roster-freeze at the 2021 deadline so insanity doesn't reign and Seattle gets screwed out of some decent to good players for Expansion!

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Tampa for sure will have to make something happen or offer Seattle something decent to stay away from certain players. See the same thing happening in Philadelphia where they have a slew of forwards to protect and even some defense. From Philly I have Seattle taking Hagg,Myers,Laughton or Lindblom! The Flyers definitely go 7-3-1. Heard some Philly fans say they will trade Gostibehere and protect Myers because he's a RD-man...Buffalo may also be in the same boat with a lot of defense and few spots! I hope the NHL puts a roster-freeze at the 2021 deadline so insanity doesn't reign and Seattle gets screwed out of some decent to good players for Expansion!

I wouldn't assume the flyers will go 7-3-1.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I wouldn't assume the flyers will go 7-3-1.
Why do you say that? They will protect K Hayes,Giroux,Konecny,Patrick,Couturier,Voracek,van Riemsdyk...Provorov,Sanheim,Gostibehere and Hart! They will offer Seattle some players to stay away from certain players that's a given in my books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->