HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
so much thing can change honestly that it’s to early for me to prononce. For exemple last expansion draft, only 8 players are still here (Carey Price, Jordie Benn, Jeff Petry, Shea Weber, Paul Byron, Phillip Danault, Brandon Gallagher and Andrew Shaw)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That doesn't negate Steve Shutt's point. The reason they could make those demands was that they were not already signed up.

Which teams did not protect important players who played the whole year for them (not rentals) and who were scheduled to become free agents that they then signed in the next few days? I went looking for a list.

There were 6 UFAs signed between the draft and July 1st for a cap hit of $2.0M or more. Out of the six, four were rentals who decided to stay with the team after all (Michael Stone, TJ Oshie, Brendan Smith, Patrick Eaves). Only Oshie was a coveted free agent, and Washington paid through the nose to keep him at the last minute before the opening bell for free agency. This was not a planned gentleman's agreement!

That leaves two guys to check:
  • Mike Condon, who it turns out HAD to be left exposed so that a goaltender was exposed by Ottawa.
  • Kris Russell in Edmonton, who had to be exposed as well, since Edmonton was obviously going to protect Klefbom and Larsson, and was forced to protect Sekera due to his NMC
So actually, there was not a single team that did a gentleman's agreement to avoid losing a key player.

They didn't have to resign before July 1. The negotiations for the amount could take them past July 1. Do you have a list of all players that re-signed with their teams after the expansion draft?

Also, a team only needs assurances they won't sign with Vegas if left unprotected.

I highly doubt Bergevin leaves Markov and Radulov unprotected without such assurances, and similar for other GM's and their UFA's.

I'd have to go through a list of teams's unprotected lists and their pending UFA's to see.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
They didn't have to resign before July 1. The negotiations for the amount could take them past July 1. Do you have a list of all players that re-signed with their teams after the expansion draft?

If they only re-signed with the same team after July 1st, it was probably NOT a gentleman's agreement, but just the usual free agency competition that occasionally ends with the player re-signing wtih his former team.

So, Joe Thornton re-signed on July 2nd but it's well known he was on the market for a couple of days, but SJ made the best offer. SJ did the same with Marleau and lost Marleau.

There was no one else signed above $2.0M in the first three days of free agency that re-signed with their old team. NONE.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If they only re-signed with the same team after July 1st, it was probably NOT a gentleman's agreement, but just the usual free agency competition that occasionally ends with the player re-signing wtih his former team.

So, Joe Thornton re-signed on July 2nd but it's well known he was on the market for a couple of days, but SJ made the best offer. SJ did the same with Marleau and lost Marleau.

There was no one else signed above $2.0M in the first three days of free agency that re-signed with their old team. NONE.

The term gentleman's agreement was used by someone else earlier in the discussion and I went with it.

The only UFA players we have to protect are those we think might re-sign with the expansion team doing the picking. In the last expansion draft we didn't protect Markov and Radulov because MB didn't think they would sign with Vegas. And it was the same for many other UFA's, imo including Joe Thornton. Remember, at the time most players dreaded the thought of being picked by a lowly expansion team that would likely suck for years to come.

Now, given the Vegas experience, many potential UFA's may want to sign with Seattle if picked. So, it is a different scenario. And in that sense MB will have to have a strong read on Gallagher, Petry, and Danault if he's going to leave them unsigned and unprotecte because he thinks they won't sign with Seattle.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I know people have been kicking dirt over his grave since he got here, but he's still a top 10 D in the league. It would be crazy to expose him.

He's not top 10 anymore imo. With kids like Jones, Chabot, Dahlin and such acquiring more experience he'll be out of the top 15 sooner than later. 2-3 years from now he'll be an outstanding number 2 but a weak number 1 from a contending team perspective.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Mete
Weber
Petry
Juulsen
(Maybe acquired LD)

All would have be protected in expansion. So I think Juulsen may be a casualty of the expansion draft

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Mete
Weber
Petry
Juulsen
(Maybe acquired LD)

All would have be protected in expansion. So I think Juulsen may be a casualty of the expansion draft

They ought to look into moving Petry prior to the expansion draft. Would be a dumb move to expose Juulsen, esp. if he's 100% recovered.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Mete
Weber
Petry
Juulsen
(Maybe acquired LD)

Petry is a UFA and doesn't need to be protected. If Vegas picks him and we want him back sign him on July 1st, We likely won't protect him.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Mete
Weber
Petry
Juulsen
(Maybe acquired LD)

Petry's contract ends in 2 years which is when the draft expansion happens, so he won't be protected.

Unless we acquire a top 4 D, the three defenseman we will protect is a pretty easy choice

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Petry's contract ends in 2 years which is when the draft expansion happens, so he won't be protected.

Unless we acquire a top 4 D, the three defenseman we will protect is a pretty easy choice
Petry will probably be extended by MB. If not he's moved...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Wouldn't need to sit on the fence. You agree to a contract but only sign it right after the expansion draft(which is before free agency)
But don't you risk losing him for nothing at that point? We've done far too much of that in recent years for my liking.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
But don't you risk losing him for nothing at that point? We've done far too much of that in recent years for my liking.

not likely, I don't see Seattle taking a UFA in the expansion draft, I don't recall Vegas taking any as they could just ask said player what their intentions are and if they say they want to stay or go UFA, then why waste a spot on them with just days to sign them? I don't think it's an issue.

Reactions: The90Tomas

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Letting Weber exposed in 2 years is fine. If hes gone its just 7.5m~ in habs pocket.

that's why it's too early to say as much can change in 2 years, if his play drops off enough then for sure as long as guys like Brook, Juulsen and Fleury show they can be NHLers by then (not all 3 have to). But if he's playing at a high level and we are still trying to be a playoff team then they likely won't.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
that's why it's too early to say as much can change in 2 years, if his play drops off enough then for sure as long as guys like Brook, Juulsen and Fleury show they can be NHLers by then (not all 3 have to). But if he's playing at a high level and we are still trying to be a playoff team then they likely won't.

By looking how he played for the last 2 months , its pretty fair that in 2 years he might done in a top 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad