HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not unless they knew that signing the player was a certainty. Seattle can’t afford to waste selections on assets that have no term.

Bergevin was negotiating a contract extension with Radulov from Dec of 16 to Jun of 17. There was no doubt in my mind that Bergevin knew he might not sign with us at the time of the expansion draft. Otherwise, he would of protected him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bergevin was negotiating a contract extension with Radulov from Dec of 16 to Jun of 17. There was no doubt in my mind that Bergevin knew he might not sign with us at the time of the expansion draft. Otherwise, he would of protected him.

I don’t know how other teams dealt with their UFAs at the expansion draft. I know even less what Bergevin may have known at any given time.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t know how other teams dealt with their UFAs at the expansion draft. I know even less what Bergevin may have known at any given time.

Both Bergevin and Radulov said they were talking for months. Bergevin was clearly frustrated cause he was banking on Radulov taking a deal that fit for the Habs. I believe this is why they decided not to protect him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Both Bergevin and Radulov said they were talking for months. Bergevin was clearly frustrated cause he was banking on Radulov taking a deal that fit for the Habs. I believe this is why they decided not to protect him.

It's an opinion and speculative by definition. Who really knows.

What could be telling is how other teams handled their UFAs. Who would use an expansion draft slot on a player that you will likely have the opportunity to keep negotiating with a few weeks after the expansion draft?

If I'm an expansion team, I would logically be looking for tangible assets not speculative targets.

Anyways, not worth debating. Moving on.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
It's an opinion and speculative by definition. Who really knows.

What could be telling is how other teams handled their UFAs. Who would use an expansion draft slot on a player that you will likely have the opportunity to keep negotiating with a few weeks after the expansion draft?

If I'm an expansion team, I would logically be looking for tangible assets not speculative targets.

Anyways, not worth debating. Moving on.

Pretty sure Las Vegas got a window before the expansion draft to talk to UFAs, they would sign the UFA before the expansion draft.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Perhaps. But why didn't Vegas take him or any other pending UFA's?

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Early to make a protected list at the present time? Late to make a protected list in 2021?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Maybe. Who knows what the back end will look like by then. Petry doesn't have to be protected does he?
He would be a UFA so I doubt he would get picked. So we would protect Weber, Edler and one of Mete/Juulsen/Fleury. So one of Mete/Juulsen/Fleury would get exposed.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I was thinking of 7 million too. Do you know if we have to protect him in the draft if he is given a NMC for both years? He would be a UFA at the end of the year, but I'm not sure if that means that we still have to protect him.

I don’t think we need to protect him if he’s UFA but I can’t confirm at 100 %

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
He would be a UFA so I doubt he would get picked. So we would protect Weber, Edler and one of Mete/Juulsen/Fleury. So one of Mete/Juulsen/Fleury would get exposed.
It will be impossible to get out of the draft unscathed. There's probably a few quality forwards that will also get exposed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's also going to be lost next year to the expansion draft unless he legitimately becomes a top four D.

Doesn't it work two ways though? If he becomes a top 4D and outproduces some of the others, we protect him. If he struggles to play to top 4D quality, we don't protect him and would he get taken?

Depends on a lot of things in the next two years. Is both Weber and Petry part of the future long term plans still and who rises above between Mete, Juulsen, Kulak, and Fleury

Last edited:
Reactions: BaseballCoach

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Can't imagine we would. Domi Lehkonen Tatar Gallagher Danault

Everyone else is exempt or isn't a big loss like Shaw or Byron.

My bigger point is that we only lose one guy and it will likely be the guy with a fair value to cap ratio, but we will be protecting the seven forwards and three d-men with the best value to cap ratio, so whoever we lose should not be a big deal, especially when all our rivals lose one guy too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My bigger point is that we only lose one guy and it will likely be the guy with a fair value to cap ratio, but we will be protecting the seven forwards and three d-men with the best value to cap ratio, so whoever we lose should not be a big deal, especially when all our rivals lose one guy too.

The way it looks like it is tracking, I think we go the 1G and 8 skaters option. We have more to loose on D than up front. Could change in 2 years but that's how I see it today

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The way it looks like it is tracking, I think we go the 1G and 8 skaters option. We have more to loose on D than up front. Could change in 2 years but that's how I see it today
I don't think so, but we are still two years away. We don't know if we will pick up another top-4 D. We don't know if any of our current forwards will be traded for such D.

But right now, I can't see exposing all but one of Danault and the guys who are on our second line to protect a 5th or 6th D (assuming Brook and/or Romanov are in the top 5). In fact, if Weber's level of play slips, I would risk him first.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think so, but we are still two years away. We don't know if we will pick up another top-4 D. WE don't know if any of our current forwards will be traded for such D.

But right now, I can't see exposing all but one of Danault and the guys who are on our second line to protect a 5th or 6th D (assuming Brook and/or Romanov are in the top 5). In fact, if Weber's level of play slips, I would risk him first.

Not saying it goes this way for sure but it's a possibility and depends on player performances in the next two years.

1) Price

2) Weber or Petry (don't think we protect both) and 2 from (Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Kulak). Leaves a open spot for that LD if we acquire one.

3) Domi, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher (UFA), Drouin

Exposed players:
- Lindgren (UFA), McNiven
- One of Weber or Petry (UFA) and 2 from (Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Kulak).
- Tatar (UFA), Danault (UFA), Lehkonen, Shaw, Byron, Armia, Evans

We are very lucky Poehling, Suzuki, Primeau, Brook are exempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad