HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
He can’t play forever is my point. He is visibly getting slower and it's only going to get worse

I know people have been kicking dirt over his grave since he got here, but he's still a top 10 D in the league. It would be crazy to expose him.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Bergevin won’t expose him even if it means losing a promising young D which is the wrong strategy

Remember when everyone was freaking out at the possibility of losing promising young forward Charles Hudon? Give me the all-star over Fluery or Juulsen.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Remember when everyone was freaking out at the possibility of losing promising young forward Charles Hudon? Give me the all-star over Fluery or Juulsen.
They could become as good as Shea Theodore...Vegas likes him.

Seriously what is the concept of an aging, slowing player don’t you get? Are you watching the current game? Weber looks like he is skating in quick sand

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
They could become as good as Shea Theodore...Vegas likes him.

Seriously what is the concept of an aging, slowing player don’t you get? Are you watching the current game? Weber looks like he is skating in quick sand

The thing I don't get is your evaluation of Weber. His return has saved our season.

The idea of exposing an all-star to protect a long shot prospect is ludicrous.

You can also only lose one player, we can't lose both and we might lose neither if they take a forward (or a goalie if Lindgren or Primeau look good). Its also pointless to speculate because we have no clue what our roster and prospect pool will even look like 2 years from now.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The thing I don't get is your evaluation of Weber. His return has saved our season.

The idea of exposing an all-star to protect a long shot prospect is ludicrous.

You can also only lose one player, we can't lose both and we might lose neither if they take a forward (or a goalie if Lindgren or Primeau look good). Its also pointless to speculate because we have no clue what our roster and prospect pool will even look like 2 years from now.
My evaluation is very simple-
He is aging, he is slowing and the game is getting faster

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Eye test, Weber's own admission in interviews, MB saying so in interviews etc etc

You have a link to an interview where either of those guys say that Weber has slowed to the point that the game is passing him by? Because that is the insinuation when its said that he should be exposed because he has slowed. Of course he isn't going to be as fast as he was in his early/mid 20's no one is. Markov was obviously slowed when he came back from his blown knees, he was smart and skilled enough that it didn't really matter. I see no reason that Weber won't be able to maintain his high level of play as he ages like other D of his caliber.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
You have a link to an interview where either of those guys say that Weber has slowed to the point that the game is passing him by? Because that is the insinuation when its said that he should be exposed because he has slowed. Of course he isn't going to be as fast as he was in his early/mid 20's no one is. Markov was obviously slowed when he came back from his blown knees, he was smart and skilled enough that it didn't really matter. I see no reason that Weber won't be able to maintain his high level of play as he ages like other D of his caliber.

Oh no, they never said it like that. Just that he has to play smarter to make up for it, play with different type of players etc. He's still a top 15 d

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I think Weber retires at the end of the 2022-23 season based on the fact that his 2023-24 salary will only be $1,000,000. That means he only has two seasons left in him when the expansion draft takes place.

Pretty positive Seattle would definitely grab him given the chance (think of his trade value) so if we're not willing to lose one of our young Dmen, I imagine Bergevin might shop him at the 2021 trade deadline and I'm guessing he would easily return a 1st and solid prospects if not more.

We've got lots of time to see how Mete, Juulsen, Fleury develop and how well Perty and Weber hold-up with age

Reactions: BaseballCoach

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
In regards to 7 forwards guessing we keep:
Kotkaniemi
Danault
Domi
Gallagher
Drouin
Tatar
Shaw <-- on the bubble
Lehkonen <-- on the bubble

and expose:
Byron <-- Tough choice if continues to score 20
Evans <-- Could emerge
Armia
Peca
Thompson
Weise
Weal
Deslauriers
Hudon
Shinkaruk
Audette
Waked
Pezzetta
Alain
Verbeek
Vejdemo
McCarron

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
In regards to 7 forwards guessing we keep:
Kotkaniemi
Danault
Domi
Gallagher
Drouin
Tatar
Shaw <-- on the bubble
Lehkonen <-- on the bubble

and expose:
Byron <-- Tough choice if continues to score 20
Evans <-- Could emerge
Armia
Peca
Thompson
Weise
Weal
Deslauriers
Hudon
Shinkaruk
Audette
Waked
Pezzetta
Alain
Verbeek
Vejdemo
McCarron

Apparantly since Tatar, Danault, and Gallagher are UFA's we don't necessarily have to protect them.

So, we'd be able to protect Byron, Lehkonen, and Armia.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Apparantly since Tatar, Danault, and Gallagher are UFA's we don't necessarily have to protect them.

This is true IF ..... we wait to sign Tatar, Danault and Gallagher (and Petry too) to their extensions at the last minute, after the expansion draft but before or on July 1st. I guess we will see how teams and agents will be handling these files in the year prior to expansion.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007

Same thing happened with Radulov & Markov during the Vegas expansion and we ended up losing both. If we truly value Tatar, Danault, Gallagher and Petry we get them signed and locked up long in advance. I can't think of any examples of this working out for another team during the Vegas expansion draft.

I don't think the NHL looks very favourably upon gentlemen's agreements and I also imagine players don't feel too comfortable getting that close to UFA status without a contract as they would be risking injury or poor performance that could jeopardize millions. Plus if they get that close to UFA status (I'm assuming the expansion draft takes place mid June) they would likely be very tempted to test the market two weeks later (i.e. Radulov)

Reactions: BaseballCoach

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Same thing happened with Radulov & Markov during the Vegas expansion and we ended up losing both. If we truly value Tatar, Danault, Gallagher and Petry we get them signed and locked up long in advance. I can't think of any examples of this working out for another team during the Vegas expansion draft.

I don't think the NHL looks very favourably upon gentlemen's agreements and I also imagine players don't feel too comfortable getting that close to UFA status without a contract as they would be risking injury or poor performance that could jeopardize millions. Plus if they get that close to UFA status (I'm assuming the expansion draft takes place mid June) they would likely be very tempted to test the market two weeks later (i.e. Radulov)

They both wanted to re-sign. Only reason they didn't is Bergevin didn't pay them up to their demands, which I would have...

Almost every team did the gentleman's agreements to avoid losing key players, only Bergevin treated Markov and Radulov like dogs, not gentleman, during negotiations.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
They both wanted to re-sign. Only reason they didn't is Bergevin didn't pay them up to their demands, which I would have...
That doesn't negate Steve Shutt's point. The reason they could make those demands was that they were not already signed up.

Almost every team did the gentleman's agreements to avoid losing key players, only Bergevin treated Markov and Radulov like dogs, not gentleman, during negotiations.

Which teams did not protect important players who played the whole year for them (not rentals) and who were scheduled to become free agents that they then signed in the next few days? I went looking for a list.

There were 6 UFAs signed between the draft and July 1st for a cap hit of $2.0M or more. Out of the six, four were rentals who decided to stay with the team after all (Michael Stone, TJ Oshie, Brendan Smith, Patrick Eaves). Only Oshie was a coveted free agent, and Washington paid through the nose to keep him at the last minute before the opening bell for free agency. This was not a planned gentleman's agreement!

That leaves two guys to check:
  • Mike Condon, who it turns out HAD to be left exposed so that a goaltender was exposed by Ottawa.
  • Kris Russell in Edmonton, who had to be exposed as well, since Edmonton was obviously going to protect Klefbom and Larsson, and was forced to protect Sekera due to his NMC
So actually, there was not a single team that did a gentleman's agreement to avoid losing a key player.

Last edited:
Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

I already posted that in fact there was no team that successfully pulled this manoever with a non-rental player.

Mostly, I agree with your main point of protecting the guys you really want.

Assume that by re-signing and protecting Tatar, Danault, Gallagher, plus protecting KK, Domi, Drouin, you may have to lose one of Byron, Shaw, Armia or Lehkonen. So you protect the one with the best value cap-wise. And if for example, you re-signed Tatar to a big contract and then he crapped out, you just DON'T protect him anyway.

In the end you will only lose one player, and it can likely be arranged that it is a player with a high enough cap hit to not significantly hurt the team in the end.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He still is, look at his stats in 2019, only Vasilevski has better numbers while his team is having a +80 differential and the Habs are +3, what proves how dominant Price really is..

Edit: Also, if 41% of the NHL players thought Price was still the toughest goaltender to face after a such disastrous season, just imagine now that he is back in beast mode...

As for Andersen, He is very good and is easily a top 10 goaltender in the league, but still, he isnt close to Price level of greatness...
I don't think he's been the best in the world for quite some time tbh, he's in the top 5, but clear cut the best, nope.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I already posted that in fact there was no team that successfully pulled this manoever with a non-rental player.

Mostly, I agree with your main point of protecting the guys you really want.

Assume that by re-signing and protecting Tatar, Danault, Gallagher, plus protecting KK, Domi, Drouin, you may have to lose one of Byron, Shaw, Armia or Lehkonen. So you protect the one with the best value cap-wise. And if for example, you re-signed Tatar to a big contract and then he crapped out, you just DON'T protect him anyway.

In the end you will only lose one player, and it can likely be arranged that it is a player with a high enough cap hit to not significantly hurt the team in the end.

I think that, after the last expansion draft, most teams are just going to name their players tell Seattle's GM to ''do their worst.'' Don't wanna end up looking like Jarmo or Dale. It's one thing to pick your 7 or 8 players and be wrong. It's quite another to pick your 7 or 8 players and pay additional assets to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad