HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
that's why it's too early to say as much can change in 2 years, if his play drops off enough then for sure as long as guys like Brook, Juulsen and Fleury show they can be NHLers by then (not all 3 have to). But if he's playing at a high level and we are still trying to be a playoff team then they likely won't.
Agree. Weber has a few excellent years left. He was excellent this year and that was without a proper offseason workout schedule. He'll be even better next year.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Letting Weber exposed in 2 years is fine. If hes gone its just 7.5m~ in habs pocket.
I don't get it. Do you think he's not worth 7.5mln now, or do you think his play will fall off so much in two years that he won't be worth 7.5mln then, while the cap continues to rise? Friggin Jake Gardiner will probably get a long term deal close to 7.5mln this summer. Do you think that Gardiner will be a better player than Weber in two years?

If Brook, Juulsen, and Fleury have exceeded expectations and we don't need Weber anymore in two years, then trade him for a 1st round pick. There will be a bidding war for him, we'd probably get more than that.

Expose him in the expansion draft? Ludicrous. It's more likely that Nashville exposes Subban (cause he'll only have a year left and will leave) than Montreal exposes Weber. But neither is likely at all.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't get it. Do you think he's not worth 7.5mln now, or do you think his play will fall off so much in two years that he won't be worth 7.5mln then, while the cap continues to rise? Friggin Jake Gardiner will probably get a long term deal close to 7.5mln this summer. Do you think that Gardiner will be a better player than Weber in two years?

If Brook, Juulsen, and Fleury have exceeded expectations and we don't need Weber anymore in two years, then trade him for a 1st round pick. There will be a bidding war for him, we'd probably get more than that.

Expose him in the expansion draft? Ludicrous. It's more likely that Nashville exposes Subban (cause he'll only have a year left and will leave) than Montreal exposes Weber. But neither is likely at all.

It's not ludicrous cause it's just impossible for anyone to know how he will play in 2 years. 2 months after the expansion draft he'll turn 36, there's so no way to know today how 2 more years of hockey and age will impact him. Maybe it won't at all and he'll be the same Weber we see now or maybe it will impact him as it's impossible to guess when age will catch up to players as you just never know.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
It's not ludicrous cause it's just impossible for anyone to know how he will play in 2 years. 2 months after the expansion draft he'll turn 36, there's so no way to know today how 2 more years of hockey and age will impact him. Maybe it won't at all and he'll be the same Weber we see now or maybe it will impact him as it's impossible to guess when age will catch up to players as you just never know.

Weber and Price might get struck by lightning while playing doubles in a lawn bowling tournament in Kelowna this summer. You just never know.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Don't care much about aging Petry and Weber for the expansion draft to be honest, as long as we get to keep Mete, Juulsen, Romanov, Fleury and Brook (depending on if these guys develop as expected) we should be in decent shape moving forward. Realistically 4 of these guys should be good NHLers

I'm really not worried about the expansion draft, we're in great shape unless Bergevin somehow acquires 2-3 top-end players that need protecting, then we might lose someone worthy but hey, you never know. 2 years is a long time

I believe the key is to be able to retain young and talented players aka solid top-9 core up front, top-4 D and starting goaltender.. Whatever scraps is left after Seattle we can manage afterwards. That means we get to keep:

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki
Domi-Poehling-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Danault-

Mete-Brook
Romanov-Fleury

Primeau

Looking at this makes me believe we're in great shape as we're 100% retaining these guys. You can add more or less all the following players except one (taken by Seattle): Price, Weber, Petry, Armia, Juulsen, Tatar, Byron, Shaw, Folin, Kulak, Evans, Vejdemo, Ylonen, Olofsson, Ikonen, Harris, Hillis, Fonstad, McShane, Walford, Tyszka, Teasdale, Verbeek, McNiven, Lindgren, 1st round 2019, 1st round 2020, 1st round 2021 + any other draft pick that pans out, trade and free agent acquisitions

That's a lot of depth

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Weber and Price might get struck by lightning while playing doubles in a lawn bowling tournament in Kelowna this summer. You just never know.

Of course injuries can happen any time but I was talking just about when father time catches up to a player, which we all know is different for each player so to try and guess it's impact on a player 2 years from now is pointless.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So Cap Friendly shows Poehling's first ELC being burned last season so add him to the to do list for the 21 off season.

- UFA's: Petry, Gallagher, Danault, Tatar
- RFA's: Kotkaniemi and Poehling

Has it been confirmed that Poehling is automatically exempt from the expansion draft?

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
So Cap Friendly shows Poehling's first ELC being burned last season so add him to the to do list for the 21 off season.

Has it been confirmed that Poehling is automatically exempt from the expansion draft?
It's good to have maneuverability going into the offeseason with the expansion draft

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Yes I agree but it's not good if we have to protect Poehling as one of our forwards though. I think he is exempt but not 100% sure. (Think it falls under the RFA rules and not the ELC rules).
I'm almost certain he's exempt.
Just say for instance we re-sign everyone on that list, that leaves us with:
Drouin
Tatar
Domi
Kotkaniemi
Gallagher
Danault
Lehkonen

Weber
Petry
Mete

Price

Exposing: Byron, Shaw, Juulsen, Kulak

A lot will change from here until then, I'm not sure if we'll be re-signing Petry or Tatar, and Lehkonen/Danault might be traded from here until then.
But if we had to do it today, that's what it'd look like

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin
Tatar
Domi
Kotkaniemi
Gallagher
Danault
Lehkonen

Weber
Petry
Mete

Price

A lot will change from here until then, I'm not sure if we'll be re-signing Petry or Tatar, and Lehkonen/Danault might be traded from here until then.

Could go 4/4/1 if we sign Karlsson...

- Price
- Karlsson, Weber and 2 from (Mete, Juulsen, Kulak, Fleury)
- Kotkaniemi, Domi, Gallagher, Drouin

Exposed players would be...

- Lindgren (UFA), McNiven
- Tatar (UFA), Danault (UFA), Shaw, Byron, Lehkonen, Armia
- 2 from (Mete, Kulak, Juulsen, Fleury)

I don't see us loosing a significant asset. I rather protect our young D.

We are a bit lucky with the timing of the expansion draft by having Poehling, Brook, Suzuki, Romanov, Primeau, Ikonen, Ylonen, Harris exempt

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

I'm pretty sure this was discussed before his first game and it was said that he was exempt.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm pretty sure this was discussed before his first game and it was said that he was exempt.

Opinions are not facts though right. I tend to agree it's true but I had doubts with the age 20 and signing "year" clause in the CBA. What does the year mean? The actual calaender year or NHL season? Cap Friendly addressed the ELC question I had by listing this past season as his 1st season. So the answer to my question was it was the actual calender year and not the NHL season

Now the next question is does the expansion draft and players exempt follow the ELC rules or the RFA rules where he had to play 40 games last year? I am under the understanding that it's the RFA rules so he is exempt in this case. Nylander would be a good past example to follow

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Opinions are not facts though right. I tend to agree it's true but I had doubts with the age 20 and signing "year" clause in the CBA. What does the year mean? The actual calaender year or NHL season? Cap Friendly addressed the ELC question I had by listing this past season as his 1st season. So the answer to my question was it was the actual calender year and not the NHL season

Now the next question is does the expansion draft and players exempt follow the ELC rules or the RFA rules where he had to play 40 games last year? I am under the understanding that it's the RFA rules so he is exempt in this case. Nylander would be a good past example to follow

I don't recall the exact reason but it was confirmed that he will not need to be protected in the expansion draft. There was obviously immediate discussion of this situation after he was signed and our concerns were quickly erased. I am too lazy to go searching for facts that I have already been exposed to but I am sure it would be quite easy to go back in this thread to the date of his signing and satisfy your curiosity.

ludwig

Dec 17, 2007
Poehling will be exempt from the expansion draft, he would have had to have played 11 games last year (reg season and playoffs), as he only played one, we are good to go :)

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Here's a list of everyone will would need to protect and not protect assuming they get extensions etc.

Screenshot_2019-06-08-09-52-45.png
Screenshot_2019-06-08-09-52-52.png
Screenshot_2019-06-08-09-53-01.png

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We left Radulov exposed last time but they didn’t pick him. Do you think Seattle would take a UFA?

I would think they'd copy the Vegas model. Depends how the GM sees it. If I'm GM and I feel I have a chance of signing a guy and I don't like the other options, why not?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We left Radulov exposed last time but they didn’t pick him. Do you think Seattle would take a UFA?

Not unless they knew that signing the player was a certainty. Seattle can’t afford to waste selections on assets that have no term.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Drouin
Tatar
Domi
Kotkaniemi
Gallagher
Danault
Lehkonen

Weber
Petry
Mete

Price

You forgot Erik Karlsson...

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Brutal troll post.

Weber retiring is more likely than your scenario. And him potentially retiring is a turn off for any and every gm.
Of course it's more likely, but you missed the point. Someone earlier suggested that we should expose Weber in the expansion draft and it would be fine if we lost him. I said this was ludicrous, since I believe that Weber will still have tremendous value in 2 years. Then someone else said it's not ludicrous, his play might fall off, you just never know. Then I posted my very unlikely scenario.

What was the point of me posting my unlikely scenario? It was because suggesting that anything can happen (as the previous poster did) is so obvious that it need not be said. Of course Weber's play could drop off in 2 years. Of course he might suffer injuries. Of course he might even retire. But none of these scenarios is as likely as the scenario in which Weber is still an extremely effective defenseman in 2 years. So to suggest *today* that Weber should be left exposed in the expansion draft is indeed ludicrous.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Of course it's more likely, but you missed the point. Someone earlier suggested that we should expose Weber in the expansion draft and it would be fine if we lost him. I said this was ludicrous, since I believe that Weber will still have tremendous value in 2 years. Then someone else said it's not ludicrous, his play might fall off, you just never know. Then I posted my very unlikely scenario.

What was the point of me posting my unlikely scenario? It was because suggesting that anything can happen (as the previous poster did) is so obvious that it need not be said. Of course Weber's play could drop off in 2 years. Of course he might suffer injuries. Of course he might even retire. But none of these scenarios is as likely as the scenario in which Weber is still an extremely effective defenseman in 2 years. So to suggest *today* that Weber should be left exposed in the expansion draft is indeed ludicrous.

The possibly of not protecting Weber will decided after 2 seasons, not today. Based on what we know today, he is on the protection list but a lot can happen in 2 NHL seasons so you never know for sure. We have to remember, that we will be protecting Weber for 2 more years cause his contract is designed for him to retire at the age of 37. The other factor is weather we go 4/4/1 or 7/3/1 in the protection format. Are we going to expose both Mete and Juulsen if they take steps forward in the next two years cause we want Weber at age 36 and 37? Time will tell

His age 30+ stats are on par of better vs his career stats but he is 34 next year. I always said I was not worried his early to mid 30's but the decline concern with me was 35, 36, 37. People talk about his lack of foot speed and this is legit but this is not new news and he never had average foot speed even in his 20's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad