HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I searched long and hard for another reason to send him back to Finland. :sarcasm:. The potential of an expansion draft in the summer of 21. If he plays AHL this year, he will have 3 years of pro experience and will be protected. If he plays NHL or AHL next year, he has 2 years or less and would be exempt.

I think the NHL will use the Vegas model.

Protected Forwards: Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Byron, Armia, Tatar. Hudon, Scherbak, DLR, Peca, Shaw and anybody playing in the AHL starting this year would be exposed. If Kotkaniemi plays pro this year, he has to be protected which exposes Armia or Tatar? Not sure if Tatar would be re-signed. Regardless, another protected spot would be valuable if we didn't have to protect Kotkaniemi. Especially if we sign anybody of value from now till then

Protected Defense: Weber, Mete, Juulsen. Reilly, Petry and anybody playing AHL this year would be exposed. Petry would need a new contract however.

Protected Goalies: Price. Lindgren would need a new contract but he stands to be exposed.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I searched long and hard for another reason to send him back to Finland. :sarcasm:. The potential of an expansion draft in the summer of 21. If he plays AHL this year, he will have 3 years of pro experience and will be protected. If he plays NHL or AHL next year, he has 2 years or less and would be exempt.

Protected Forwards: Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Byron, Armia, Tatar. Hudon, Scherbak, DLR, Peca, Shaw and anybody playing in the AHL starting this year would be exposed. If Kotkaniemi plays pro this year, he has to be protected which exposes Armia or Tatar? Not sure if Tatar would be re-signed. Regardless, another protected spot would be valuable if we didn't have to protect Kotkaniemi. Especially if we sign anybody of value from now till then

Protected Defense: Weber, Mete, Juulsen. Reilly, Petry and anybody playing AHL this year would be exposed. Petry would need a new contract however.

Protected Goalies: Price. Lindgren would need a new contract but he stands to be exposed.
Would be great if Seattle took Price as a west coast guy in a similar fashion to Vegas taking MAF.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would be great if Seattle took Price as a west coast guy in a similar fashion to Vegas taking MAF.

A lot can happen in 12 months, let alone 3 seasons. Price is not trending well but we should wait for a bit yet before we start talking about exposing him to an expansion draft propaganda. I'm not super happy with Price and how he went after a max deal but not willing to throw him under the bus yet. I just am watching for him to stop the soft goals and then build his confidence back from that. It's very possible he rebounds.

If team Canada picks a team today, Price is on it. Just like after they believed in him after the 2015/2016 off year for the World Cup.

I'm all for trading Price with some salary retention ($1-$2M ish). But after his salary is reduced to something around $9M, I am not liquidating him for cheap. If Price wants to play for a contender, I wait, wait, and wait for a cup contender to give us a solid offer. Otherwise, I would be fully prepared to let him sit if he wants to be disgruntled. He went after the max deal and now he has to live with it. Go out there and perform for the team that gave you the max deal and you like playing for!

Last edited:

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I thought it was for 2020-21 season ?

I expect Drouin, Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi, Domi, Byron, Danault, Gallagher

On D, Weber, Mete and Juulsen.

G. Price.

EDIT : forgot Gallagher.. I forgot Petry has a NMC. I would trade him before that.

Last edited:

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I thought it was for 2020-21 season ?

I expect Drouin, Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi, Domi, Byron, Danault, ???? (another player that is not here for now)

On D, Weber, Mete and Juulsen.

G. Price.

No Gallagher? :(

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I'm pretty sure the expansion draft would be in summer of 2020

Lots can change, but the Habs are in a pretty decent position as of right now. That said, at this point the players we should be aiming to protect are:

Forwards 100% protected: Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen
Forwards potentially protected: Danault, Armia, Byron
Forwards unprotected: Tatar, Shaw, Peca, Scherbak, Hudon, Deslauriers, De La Rose, McCarron

Defense 100% protected: Mete, Juulsen, Petry (NMC)
Defense potentially protected: Weber, Reilly
Defense unprotected: Alzner, Benn, Ouellet, Lernout

Goalies 100% protected: Price (NMC)
Goalies potentially protected:
Goalies unprotected: Lindgren

Exempt: Suzuki, Poehling, Brook, Romanov, Ylonen, Olofsson, and most of our current prospects

Analysis: The Habs have space up front to upgrade with an impact player and still not lose anyone. We have 2 open slots as Danault/Byron/Armia in my opnion will be expandable by 2020 if some of our prospects can developp well (especially Poehling/Suzuki). Getting rid of their cap hit could be beneficial after 2020.

Weber will have 6 more years left so I don't think Seattle is going to take him. Anyway if they do, probably not that big a loss.

Conclusion, we protect:
Drouin-Domi-Gallagher-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen and 2 new players from UFA/trade (upgrades)
Mete-Juulsen-Petry
Price

We lose: probably Danault or Byron

**If I'm not mistaken guys like Evans, Fleury, Vejdemo, Bitten who are turning pro right now like Kotkaniemi would need protection as well

The other thing to consider is Petry's play might be downhill by 2020, so it could be a good idea to either buy him out or convince to waive NMC. That way we could acquire a better dman to protect (or simply protect Weber or Mike Reilly)

KKWG11

Nov 25, 2017
I wonder what Bergy would have to pay for Seattle to take Karl off our hands

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006

Lots can change, but the Habs are in a pretty decent position as of right now. That said, at this point the players we should be aiming to protect are:

Forwards unprotected: Tatar, Shaw, Peca, Scherbak, Hudon, Deslauriers, De La Rose, McCarron

Exempt: Suzuki, Poehling, Brook, Romanov, Ylonen, Olofsson, and most of our current prospects

Analysis: The Habs have space up front to upgrade with an impact player and still not lose anyone. We have 2 open slots as Danault/Byron/Armia in my opnion will be expandable by 2020 if some of our prospects can developp well (especially Poehling/Suzuki). Getting rid of their cap hit could be beneficial after 2020.

Weber will have 6 more years left so I don't think Seattle is going to take him. Anyway if they do, probably not that big a loss.

Conclusion, we protect:
Drouin-Domi-Gallagher-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen and 2 new players from UFA/trade (upgrades)
Mete-Juulsen-Petry
Price

**If I'm not mistaken guys like Evans, Fleury, Vejdemo, Bitten who are turning pro right now like Kotkaniemi would need protection as well

The other thing to consider is Petry's play might be downhill by 2020, so it could be a good idea to either buy him out or convince to waive NMC. That way we could acquire a better dman to protect (or simply protect Weber or Mike Reilly)

Weber will be protected, he's the captain, his value is still sky high.

Reactions: dralaf

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009

Conclusion, we protect:
Mete-Juulsen-Petry
Price

I think if the draft is in 2020 than Kotkaniemi will be exempt. Depending on this season, if it's 2021, he may not be.

If Juulsen has reached a point that we are prepared to protect him, ie. he's shown to be a long term top 4 defender, than we have likely moved on from Petry and we'll be protecting Mete - Juulsen - Weber.

Speaking of Weber. He has a high cap hit, but lowering salary. As long as he's a top 4 player still, he'll be an automatic selection if exposed.

In all likelihood, given our current roster, we are protecting:

Drouin, Gallagher, Domi, Danault, Lehkonen, Byron, and Tatar.
Weber, Mete, Petry (Juulsen)

in that order. Any big FA signing/s will possibly expose players on the ends.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009

Can't see us paying to get rid of Alzner. Slight retention with only 2 years remaining on the contract will be manageable I think. More so than giving up an asset or buying him out.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

Why would you protect Weber? They won't take him.
I'd leave Price exposed too. Unlikely they'll bite but if they do, you're out from under that contract.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

That will be in three years for god sake. Minimum half those players will not be on the team. Go Look at the Habs roster three years ago.

EDIT: I took my own advice and went to check the 13-14 team. Only 5 players from that team are on this one. So you're wasting your time.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Why would you protect Weber? They won't take him.
I'd leave Price exposed too. Unlikely they'll bite but if they do, you're out from under that contract.

Price has a NMC. He can't be exposed if they go by the same guidelines as Vegas. Price would have to waive it for him to be exposed.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Pretty sure they don't think about the expansion draft while making decisions right now... A lot of stuff can happen until that draft.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

He has a $1.5M signing bonus on July 1, 2020, after that he'd be owed an average of $2.5M in cash the last two years of his deal while having a cap hit of $4.6M. If Melnyk is still the Sens owner we could probably get a second from the Sens so he can pay less cash and reach the cap floor.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They don't have too much to worry about, much like the Leafs in the Vegas draft.

Habs just can't add any decent defenseman over 21 though. Mete might not even have to be protected depending on how they proceed. I'm sure they'll look at what every team stands to lose and make the rules accordingly.

Contrary to what people think in hindsight, the league did NOT give Vegas a head start because they paid 500 million, it was the other way around. They looked at what rules needed to be set for a cap era draft with Unrestricted Free Agency at 27 and charged the Foley group half a billion because of the quality and term of players available from 30 teams .

Last edited:

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
Yeah, Fleury is not playing in the AHL this year.

EDIT: He will lol

Last edited:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Since our team is built like quantity > quality players, meaning there won't be much of a gap between the players we protect and don't protect, we are bound to lose something decent, it is inescapable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->