Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That's what I would do too.

However, I don't think Treliving is that smart / forward thinking, and will likely try and push for more "win-now" pieces out of a notion that they can't waste another year of Matthews & Nylander's primes.
I dunno man, the narrative around the core 4's not gonna be good if we lose tonight. You can only push a fanbase so far.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I keep hearing about Paul Marner. I hope the Leafs management aren't afraid of this guy. He's not a mafioso. He's a Timmy's-double-double, ushanka-hat wearing dork. It's time to get tough with the Marners and make the right decision.
If the Leafs actually care about any of our player's parents' opinions this team is totally screwed regardless.

EDIT: if your username is referring to the song by that title, it's awesome.

Reactions: Metroid

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That's fair.

They peddled Nylander hard last summer for a top Dman, and nobody bit.

I would expect the same price for Marner should he hit the market this summer, and I would also expect the same results.

Wonder if they try and go after a center
If nobody offered a top Dman for William at 7.5 nobody will offer a top dman for Marner at 10.8

Reactions: Tak7

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That's what I would do too.

However, I don't think Treliving is that smart / forward thinking, and will likely try and push for more "win-now" pieces out of a notion that they can't waste another year of Matthews & Nylander's primes.

Treliving’s Tkachuk for Huberdeau and Weegar seems to negatively impact his reputation but he did a pretty good job buying Dougie Hamilton for a 1st, packaging Hamilton (misfit) and Fox for Lindholm and Hanifin in a sequence that preserved trade value for Calgary across a number of moves.

Signings like Kadri, Markstrom and Tanev are the types of players we need. So at least the flavour is right.

No idea how much credit he or any GM should get for drafting. So far Cowan seems like a nice and tidy pick.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
marner is one of the few players i think could drag alot of middling smaller market teams into the playoffs, which is extremely valuable revenue wise. for that reason alone i believe there will be alot of offers for him.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
If nobody offered a top Dman for William at 7.5 nobody will offer a top dman for Marner at 10.8
Yup. Teams don't trade top-pair D for wingers, especially not those with Marner's salary history and demands.

marner is one of the few players i think could drag alot of middling smaller market teams into the playoffs, which is extremely valuable revenue wise. for that reason alone i believe there will be alot of offers for him.
I agree. There's a lot of middleware teams he can help.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I dunno man, the narrative around the core 4's not gonna be good if we lose tonight. You can only push a fanbase so far.
I was in the building Saturday - to me there's no question they've already pushed the fanbase beyond their breaking point. The relationship between fans & this core is so fractured that it's beyond repair imo.

There's so much deep seeded and genuine hate for some of these players. Even if it feels excessive at times, I fully and completely understand it.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
We had 1 more regulation win than Washington, which got the final playoff spot. We are on a slippery slope ourselves. I think Marner helped us get 2 regulation wins.
i think you are letting your dislike for the player cloud your judgment here, marner in the regular season is a top 10 player in the league impact wise and absolutely can win you games on his own as hes done for us more times i can count. i want him tradad as i think hes not a good fit here pressure wise, but doesnt change how good he is as a player.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
No bad contracts. Willing to take less futures. Spend like drunken sailors in the aftermath and have prospect and pick flexibility. That’s my game plan anyway.
I'm interested in your game plan. You wouldn't take on a Granlund contract where it's 1 year left of a bad deal to secure a great draft pick?

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
We had 1 more regulation win than Washington, which got the final playoff spot. We are on a slippery slope ourselves. I think Marner helped us get 2 regulation wins.
For that salary I expect more out of him. I think that's fair.
I was in the building Saturday - to me there's no question they've already pushed the fanbase beyond their breaking point. The relationship between fans & this core is so fractured that it's beyond repair imo.

There's so much deep seeded and genuine hate for some of these players. Even if it feels excessive at times, I fully and completely understand it.
No matter how many games this series goes there should be major changes.

In the miraculous scenario that this team somehow finds a way to win three straight playoff games against the Boston Bruins (lmao) they earn a total and undoubted, unquestioned, curb-stomping from the Florida Panthers.

This core isn't likable unless you're young enough to not be paying attention. They're just not. I love this jersey but I don't like this core in the slightest.
i think you are letting your dislike for the player cloud your judgment here, marner in the regular season is a top 10 player in the league impact wise and absolutely can win you games on his own as hes done for us more times i can count. i want him tradad as i think hes not a good fit here pressure wise, but doesnt change how good he is as a player.
If he's only a game breaker in the regular season then he's not a game breaker.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Either way I certainly wouldn’t negotiate with him this off season. I would wait until his free agency and take the chance. If he walks, so be it

Reactions: myleafs

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
For that salary I expect more out of him. I think that's fair.

No matter how many games this series goes there should be major changes.

In the miraculous scenario that this team somehow finds a way to win three straight playoff games against the Boston Bruins (lmao) they earn a total and undoubted, unquestioned, curb-stomping from the Florida Panthers.

This core isn't likable unless you're young enough to not be paying attention. They're just not. I love this jersey but I don't like this core in the slightest.

If he's only a game breaker in the regular season then he's not a game breaker.
i think that super valuable to alot of teams though. post season revenue(even if its 3 games) can make or break a small market teams year imo. and i dont think we have seen the best of marner in the post season yet, but this being his hometown and biggest market in the league i just dont think he can handle it here.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
i think that super valuable to alot of teams though. post season revenue can make or break a small market teams year imo. and i dont think we have seen the best of marner in the post season yet, but this being his hometown and biggest market in the league i just dont think he can handle it here.
I agree with all of this.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Many have said how Marner will waive to get away from all the hate, what about the rest of the core that's staying?
As much as Marner gets crapped on, none of the others have shown up(game 2 aside).

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Yep yep. Since the Montreal series meltdown I’ve really hated that park the bus vs in zone cycling, progressing to bad body positioning and tight around the net sequence. Seems like their o-zone spacing is completely broken but I don’t have the coaching wherewithal to untangle the mess. They never have guys who are clear and ready for a clean look or a guy who can distribute the puck clean to somewhere else, whether that’s to the opposite point, or a half wall operator who can set up down low or back to the point.
Are we the mouse that keeps running into a trap? How is it possible to be this bad at spacing and keeping away from defenders? I watch other teams and think about how much space they seem to be operating with and then I recall how we constantly regroup and bleed our speed out going east-west while allowing the opponent time to set their trap for us. And we just waltz right into it. Madness.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Many have said how Marner will waive to get away from all the hate, what about the rest of the core that's staying?
As much as Marner gets crapped on, none of the others have shown up(game 2 aside).
I wouldn't be opposed to putting Rielly on the table honestly. A number #1D that doesn't PK and could probably be outperformed by a forward on the PP at 7.5M for 8 years is something.

Reactions: ACC1224

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I wouldn't be opposed to putting Rielly on the table honestly. A number #1D that doesn't PK and could probably be outperformed by a forward on the PP at 7.5M for 8 years is something.
It's insane to me that you've (presumably) watched this series, seen how AWFUL that blueline is at transitioning the puck up the ice, and conclude that moving Rielly would be beneficial.

I'm on the opposite end of this spectrum - Mo and Matthews are the 2 untouchables; everyone else is fair game.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
It's insane to me that you've (presumably) watched this series, seen how AWFUL that blueline is at transitioning the puck up the ice, and conclude that moving Rielly would be beneficial.

I'm on the opposite end of this spectrum - Mo and Matthews are the 2 untouchables; everyone else is fair game.
I didn't say removing Rielly would improve our transition game. I would consider many changes to this team for the bigger picture. I love the guy but wouldn't say he had a good series.

Reactions: myleafs and Tak7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I didn't say removing Rielly would improve our transition game. I would consider many changes to this team for the bigger picture. I love the guy but wouldn't say he had a good series.
Agreed.

But I'm looking big picture, too - not 4-5 games in April. They already lack much of what he offers. Moving off of him, at a very fair cap hit, hurts long term.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't think they've shown the frustration to the fanbase like Marner has.

Most consider
-Matthews our franchise player
-Willy a playoff performer
-JT on the heavy decline
-Marner the disappointment

Stack on the letter to the fans, crying in the box, the current ridicule and pending negotiations and it feels like he's odd man out

Reactions: myleafs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad