HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 Thread: Price Waives NMC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Maybe I'm giving MB too much credit here, but I don't think he'd do this without knowing for sure that it could be done.

Then again, this is ALL speculative. For all we know MB just thinks they won't take Price because of the 11 mil bonus, or Price has asked to go there. No way for us to know anything. :laugh:

Right! Seattle would also want assurances it could be done before swinging a side deal of this magnitude with the Habs.

And yes....there's no way for us to know anything. Price's wife's social media post got everyone's imagination running wild.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I think MB is seeing the changing of the guard in Montreal. Weber is clearly on his way out and Price is turning 34 and seems to be injured half the time. Give the reins of this team to Suzuki, Caufield, KK etc.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
We don't even need to completely rebuild. Suzuki, KK and Caufield will keep progressing and we could have lots of cap space. We might miss the playoffs this year (probably close to 50-50 chance) and grab a lottery pick but I see us being in the playoff picture by 2022-23.
I think it will be a bit longer than that, but i o agree its might not have to be a FULL rebuild with our young guys

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Bergevin is not the right guy to man this rebuild imo. He should strictly be in a advisory position.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
How the f*** do a league ownership accepts that when a new team joins its rank, that it potentially have the power to be immediately better than 95% of them? lolll
How do they get to be better when each team kept 11 more valuable players plus its ELCs?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Hollywood scenario:

Seattle select Price, Weber retires.

Habs trade KK + Drouin + 1st for Eichel and then sign Ovechkin and Martinez in the offseason :naughty:

Ovechkin Eichel Anderson

Toffoli Suzuki Caufield

Lehkonen Poehling\Evans Gallagher

Byron Poehling\Evans Armia

Martinez Petry

Chairot Romanov

Edmundston Kulak

Allen
Halak\Primeau

1st PP:

Caufield Eichel Suzuki

Ovchekin Petry

2nd PP unit:

who cares :laugh:

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Is it possible bergy has a deal with seattle that they take price if they give us Dreidger in some kind of crazy deal?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's fair.

But I think there are definitely teams that would pony up for him. Esp after seeing him take Montreal to the finals. I think TO would do it. I think Colorado would do it.
Neither Toronto or Colorado could do this without the Habs having to take back some salary to offset the negative equity in Price's contract.

The Avs can't even make a deal with a very valuable player Landeskog...they realize MacKinnon needs a new deal and so will Makar.

Any team that ads Price is adding a 13% cap hit to their team...that is significant, especially with a flat cap for the next few years.

It's not as simple as "oh hey the best goalie in the league just became available for free"...

There's a significant impact on your salary structure for the next 5 years that as a GM, you have to account for.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

More flooding of the expansion market with high cap hits - Seattle’s getting pumped up the beehive.

There are no side deals this time to be had, and unlike VGK there are no good + cheap + young talent being made available : Karlsson, Marchessault, Theodore, Tuch etc

Can’t build a team in a hard cap league with $6M+ players, and hope to have a viable 23-man roster

Last edited:
Reactions: 417 and MarkovsKnee

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Based on Angela Prices ‘don’t worry it will make sense soon’ comment. I think they take Price and trade him back to us eating part of his cap for our 1st/prospect etc. (Assuming that is allowed)

So in order to protect Allen, we will lose our 1st. Well that retained money better make us acquire players 'cause if not, you could have given our 2nd for Allen.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
tell me why Seattle would take Byron or Drouin over Price lol

They will take Kulak

It's the most sensible thing to do. Doesn't add a mid/heavy cap hit and Kulak is easily manageable

Aside from Price they can pick better players than Drouin and Byron for the money. And i don't think they will pick Price because of his contract so that leaves Kulak as the most logical choice imho

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

There's alot of quality players available...which makes this "gamble" not as much of one IMO.

The Krakken would be insane to saddle themselves with Price contract.

But if they want too...by all means.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
So in order to protect Allen, we will lose our 1st. Well that retained money better make us acquire players 'cause if not, you could have given our 2nd for Allen.

If Seattle doesnt take Price , Vancouver will be calling Bergevin trying to trade for him..lol

This could be a genius move by Bergy....he'll get a flood of offers for Price.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Looks like teams learned and just leaving names out there or have deals on place with Seattle ensuring players don't get taken

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
They will take Kulak

It's the most sensible thing to do. Doesn't add a mid/heavy cap hit and Kulak is easily manageable

Aside from Price they can pick better players than Drouin and Byron for the money. And i don't think they will pick Price because of his contract so that leaves Kulak as the most logical choice imho
That's who I've said the last few days is most likely to be picked...Kulak.

He's cheap, he's a Dman which is always a hot commodity and he'll be a valuable trade piece at the deadline with his expiring contract.

If you're building from the ground up...these are the kind of players who bring alot of value.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
If Seattle takes Price, I hope we get MAF. I don’t want to have some tweeter in the pipes.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Holy f***! :scared:

What?

Rebuilding? Poker?

No Weber. No Price. No Danault. No Armia.

Bergevin playing high stakes poker here.

Discuss.
Hopefully he trades Gallagher and Anderson as well, so we can start fresh with a new GM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad