HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 Thread: Price Waives NMC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As others have mentioned, maybe Price asked to be left unprotected for the possibility of heading back home. He probably figures that both options are good for him and his family.

A) He stays in Montreal when he's lived the past 14-15 years
B) He heads back home to be closer to his and his wife's family.

Win/Win for him.

Got to consider the Habs side of things if you believe the narrative you presented. Habs could trade him with retention later this off season and get value back.

Why would you let him go for free? Bad for business

Reactions: Dichow Stopper

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
And a month ago y’all were like “he’s protecting price and Weber” and we’re going to get f***ed in the expansion draft. Well lookie here, y’all didn’t know bergy can play same 4D chess himself. Y’all thought he was slower than cream rising on the buttermilk
There is no hiding , he has improved a lot. Some might not like to say it, others dont like to hear it. but we got to call a spade a spade and Mb has matured well as a GM.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seattle is not going to chose Price and his contract when there are tons of solid goalies available for half the cap hit or less and if they do, they’re doing our franchise a huge favour (no disrespect to Carey Price the player).

They would be much better off taking a chance on other big contracts that have been left exposed like Jake Voracek or PK Subban.

Makes no sense. Why wouldn’t we trade him with retention and get solid value back?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
There are no side deals this time, GMs have learned and are now gangbanging Francis
teams with PO and Cup aspirations are bound to lose a very good player... for example TB could be losing Palat, Calgary Giordano, us Price...

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Got to consider the Habs side of things if you believe the narrative you presented. Habs could trade him with retention later this off season and get value back.

Why would you let him go for free? Bad for business

Who knows what his value is...even with retention. Obviously older players with huge salaries are not in high demand at the moment just by looking at the unprotected lists. Also, don't forget, Price has a NMC so he would probably wouldn't accept a trade to most teams in the NHL.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Seattle is not going to chose Price and his contract when there are tons of solid goalies available for half the cap hit or less and if they do, they’re doing our franchise a huge favour (no disrespect to Carey Price the player).

They would be much better off taking a chance on other big contracts that have been left exposed like Jake Voracek or PK Subban.

The freed cap space is nice but I fail to see any other benefit given that he still has trade value. Im pretty sure Price has another run left in him.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
teams with PO and Cup aspirations are bound to lose a very good player... for example TB could be losing Palat, Calgary Giordano, us Price...
Or side deals will now start happening, this time the expansion team (Seattle) has no leverage vs VGK because they need to find lower cap hit options to build a viable 23-man roster

ManixLiquid

Jun 3, 2010

Interesting. So Seattle can select Price, trade him to back to Montreal (let's say 2 million salary retained) for 2021 1st round and one of Byron, Drouin or Kulak?

Would free cap space but would Seattle accept 2 million dead cap space for 5 years?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Josh Bailey scores 33 pts in his last 41 playoff games last 2 seasons ...only 5 million a year unprotected....

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Oh... it's Bergevin fault if Drouin and weber are not fit to play? Or if Danault is asking for 6m per?

He made his share of mistake, but he's not always in the wrong
He traded for Weber and he knew about his past knee injuries. He also inherited a asinine contract in the process. Lots of stories surfaced that Subban was not a locker room guy.

He traded a highly rated top 4 LD prospect for an enigmatic player, who sat a season because he got demoted. Ironic. Talk about double standards.

Danault should have been dealt last year for futures. We all knew that with Poehling, Suzuki and KK coming around, Danault wouldn't accept third line center duties. And even if he did, his salary demands were quite high.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal

You got to think the marketing aspects of it.

Having MAF to Vegas was a big deal.

But I do agree that Price should not be selected

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who knows what his value is...even with retention. Obviously older players with huge salaries are not in high demand at the moment just by looking at the unprotected lists. Also, don't forget, Price has a NMC so he would probably wouldn't accept a trade to most teams in the NHL.

Price at $7M would be insane value! The Price is done narrative from past years was always BS! He’s just overpaid by $1M - $2M

Reactions: _habsfan9

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
People are delusional. Even with retention Price has been a mediocre goalie for 3 of the past 4 regular seasons. He ain't worth anything.

everyone forgets the back up goalie getting thrust into action coming down the stretch when Price goes out...lol

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
If Seattle doesnt take Price , Vancouver will be calling Bergevin trying to trade for him..lol

This could be a genius move by Bergy....he'll get a flood of offers for Price.
Don’t think so Tim, Price had a great run, but has been inconsistent and injury prone the last few years and comes with one of the worst contracts in the league. This may be the last chance either side can move on if that is what they want.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
People are delusional. Even with retention Price has been a mediocre goalie for 3 of the past 4 regular seasons. He ain't worth anything.

I wouldnt call them delusional. Id say the finals run is influencing our thoughts here. Wether thats a good or bad thing only time will tell.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Interesting. So Seattle can select Price, trade him to back to Montreal (let's say 2 million salary retained) for 2021 1st round and one of Byron, Drouin or Kulak?

Would free cap space but would Seattle accept 2 million dead cap space for 5 years?
Why would the Habs accept to take Price back? That would free up 10.5 mil in capspace. Kulak is a good 7th depth D to have in case of injuries. Drouin can easily be placed on LTIR and the Habs save another 5.5 mil. along with Weber's 7.3 mil. Plenty of capspace if you ask me. Byron is a good serviceable 3rd liner.

Reactions: ManixLiquid

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Neither Toronto or Colorado could do this without the Habs having to take back some salary to offset the negative equity in Price's contract.

The Avs can't even make a deal with a very valuable player Landeskog...they realize MacKinnon needs a new deal and so will Makar.

Any team that ads Price is adding a 13% cap hit to their team...that is significant, especially with a flat cap for the next few years.

It's not as simple as "oh hey the best goalie in the league just became available for free"...

There's a significant impact on your salary structure for the next 5 years that as a GM, you have to account for.
I think in both cases, Price would be able to put them over. If I'm either team I'd make it work. And yes, I'd deal Marner for Price. I'd want a pick back but I'd do it. And then I'd use the 5 or so mil from Andersen to go get a forward.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
lmaoooooo you live under a rock or what? No sane GM would give anything for a soon to be 34 year old goalie with injury issues and 52.5 millions left in his deal. That is asinine.

Obviously in a "trade" Montreal eats some salary cap...... don't tell me Vancouver wouldnt be tripping all over themselves.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You’re nuts.
Do they beat us this year if they have Price and we have Marner?

(Spoiler: Yes!)

They also beat Winnipeg and Vegas with him.

Tampa? Well, I don't know if anyone can beat them. :laugh:

Toronto is in win now mode. Price would give them a huge boost. f*** yes I'd do it if I were them. 50+ years is a long f***ing time to go without a cup.

Reactions: Tripledeke333

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Also, people tend to forget how often Price has been injured the last few seasons. In the last 6 seasons, he's played in only 272 of the teams 455 regular season games (60%). Yes I counted the season he only played in 12 games, but it still seems like he's injured half the time or not playing 100%.

Dusty Bender

Aug 3, 2020

Are you being sarcastic? Price (with help) just led a team to the SCF. Both the players you listed are one-dimensional negative assets. Maybe it’s me who is out of touch, but Price is still a top 3 goalie in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->