HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 Thread: Price Waives NMC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
lmaoooooo you live under a rock or what? No sane GM would give anything for a soon to be 34 year old goalie with injury issues and 52.5 millions left in his deal. That is asinine.

Price is still a star in net! I’ll believe the actual players vs your opinion thank you very much. Maybe you should go live under a rock and hide in the shadows cause you’re opinion is weak!

Reactions: HabsFather

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Fun stat....

name a goalie who has a 2.06 gaa / 924 sv% in Nhl playoffs and has a losing record over 29 playoff games.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Price at $7M would be insane value! The Price is done narrative from past years was always BS! He’s just overpaid by $1M - $2M

Have you seen his stats for the last 4 seasons? Insane value? I don't know, I love the player but he's not the same player as he was before, especially in the regular season. In the last 4 seasons combined, he's 29th in sv pct for goalies that have played at least 100 games...29th!!! Even for 7 million, that's a lot. Plus, do you really want to carry 3 million in dead cap space for the next 5 years???

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Got to consider the Habs side of things if you believe the narrative you presented. Habs could trade him with retention later this off season and get value back.

Why would you let him go for free? Bad for business

Addition by substraction

You get rid of an albatross contract that could be a burden in the near future without giving any assets or retaining any salary. That in itself is a good return because occasions like that don't present themselves very often

Then again i don't think Seattle will pick him so trading him with retention later on will likely remain on the table if there is a suitor or/if needs be

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Vast majority of players exposed are $6M+, how is Francis going to build a 23-man roster if he takes a $10.5M cap hit goalie?

Price is going nowhere, and Habs get to keep Allen...which is what this paper exercise was all about
taking the risk to keep a backup ?

Reactions: dinodebino

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Makes no sense. Why wouldn’t we trade him with retention and get solid value back?

Bergy does not want to trade Price. This is a unique situation. One of two things happen:

1. Seattle passes on picking Price and we retain the Price/Allen tandem ( no doubt Bergy’s preference and the most likely outcome)
2. Seattle picks Price who gets to play in his “home state” and Bergy gets 10.5M in cap relief which is incredible value in this climate.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Price became protected from any expansion draft when he signed for 10.5 million.

Price waived his NMC for the expansion draft because both he and the team know his exposure is an illusion. 10.5 million with 5 years left at age 34 is as good as a protection slot.

Habs will lose someone insignificant on Wednesday. Probably Kulak or possibly Byron.

Francis will sign Driedger and draft Vanacek and Kahkonen as his goalies and draft a solid D core in front of them.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Do they beat us this year if they have Price and we have Marner?

(Spoiler: Yes!)

They also beat Winnipeg and Vegas with him.

Tampa? Well, I don't know if anyone can beat them. :laugh:

Toronto is in win now mode. Price would give them a huge boost. f*** yes I'd do it if I were them. 50+ years is a long f***ing time to go without a cup.
There isn’t a team in the league giving up a player of Marner’s caliber/age for a 34 year old goalie, no matter how good that goalie is. I know you’re a price fan, but this is delusional. There is a 0 % chance of teams doing this. There is a very good chance Seattle won’t take him for free.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Have you seen his stats for the last 4 seasons? Insane value? I don't know, I love the player but he's not the same player as he was before, especially in the regular season. In the last 4 seasons combined, he's 29th in sv pct for goalies that have played at least 100 games...29th!!! Even for 7 million, that's a lot. Plus, do you really want to carry 3 million in dead cap space for the next 5 years???

Have you seen the high danger shots our team allows? NHLPA polls are no joke. They are not picking him cause he is popular bud

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
There is no hiding , he has improved a lot. Some might not like to say it, others dont like to hear it. but we got to call a spade a spade and Mb has matured well as a GM.

Agreed, the constant complaining about him is so tiring, but to show I'm in good faith my one point I'm critical about him is his contract signings. But then again, I'm not the one dealing with players and agents and have no idea what it takes to get players to play in Canada/Montreal. For all we know there's a premium for a lot of them.

Reactions: tazsub3

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price became protected from any expansion draft when he signed for 10.5 million.

Price waived his NMC for the expansion draft because both he and the team know his exposure is an illusion. 10.5 million with 5 years left at age 34 is as good as a protection slot.

Habs will lose someone insignificant on Wednesday. Probably Kulak or possibly Byron.

Francis will sign Driedger and draft Vanacek and Kahkonen as his goalies and draft a solid D core in front of them.
The 11 million bonus is killer for any team as well. But if that was the philosophy, it could be a serious miscalculation.

They saw what Fleury did for Vegas and Price is a hell of a lot better than Fleury is.

Reactions: SpezNc2

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Addition by substraction

You get rid of an albatross contract that could be a burden in the near future without giving any assets or retaining any salary. That in itself is a good return because occasions like that don't present themselves very often

Then again i don't think Seattle will pick him so trading him with retention later on will likely remain on the table if there is a suitor or/if needs be

Who’s going to sign with us if we head into a rebuild or youth? Better to trade him with retention and get value back

Price from 34-38 at $6M - $7M is crazy good value. Elite level goalies don’t decline at rapid rates. Look around! He’s got 3/4 really good years left

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There isn’t a team in the league giving up a player of Marner’s caliber/age for a 34 year old goalie, no matter how good that goalie is. I know you’re a price fan, but this is delusional. There is a 0 % chance of teams doing this. There is a very good chance Seattle won’t take him for free.
Marner makes 11 million dollars and is a bust in the playoffs so far. They just got their asses kicked by the 34 year old you're talking about. Montreal includes a pick to offset the ages but yes, I do it if I'm TO. They actually SAVE money on this deal plus they can dump Andersen's contract and spend it on a forward who doesn't choke.

They need a cup badly and Price would give them a real shot at it. At a minimum, they'd have been in the finals with him this year.

Reactions: tazsub3

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
The 11 million bonus is killer for any team as well. But if that was the philosophy, it could be a serious miscalculation.

They saw what Fleury did for Vegas and Price is a hell of a lot better than Fleury is.

lol..

So Seattle picks Price
Montreal trades for Marc Andre Fleury....final year 7 million with a 2 yr extension @4-5 million..

game on ..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad