HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 Thread: Price Waives NMC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
But you cannot put your strategy on luck. There is NO WAY St.Louis thought Binnington could play like he did. And frankly, you wouldn't like it either.
It's not about luck...

If you have a goalie who you believe in, he doesn't have to have the reputation that Carey Price has.

It's not as important for every team to have the "best goalie on the planet".

I'm sure alot of teams are fine building a great team around a good goalie and banking on that.

That's not luck just a different strategy.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Tarasenko is a gamble but has tremendous upside. He also only has two years left on his deal.

How much upside does he have though? He scored 40 five years ago and then became a 30 goal scorer. His shoulder is a mess, he's about to turn 30, and he's very one dimensional. He was a liability on the ice last season, couldn't produce and takes up a pile of space. I'd rather put $7.5m over the next two years towards another asset.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well not mediocre....but yeah, he did let the charge. If a great goalie was important for a powerhouse like TBay....imagine how it is for other teams. Anyway, I guess we'll learn that when he retires or leave. They better start drafting goalies left and right...
Without crazy goaltending we're out in the first round. Everyone here would be talking about how much we suck. MB might've been fired...

Let's face it. We went as far as Price could take us. And that's always been the case here. We rely on him way too much. If he doesn't do headstands we lose... and he takes the blame to boot.

Reactions: iamtalbot

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If they dont pick Price, I think Fleury or Kulak will be picked since they have low cap hit.
There are a lot of good players available to Seattle, so I doubt they would wants to use their cap space on guys like Byron or Drouin.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
It's strange because 3-4 months ago, quite a few of us were saying how both Weber and Price (and even Drouin) should be left unprotected during the expansion draft. No way in 100 years would I have actually thought they would have done it. Funny how things work out...
No way did I think it would actually happen and also a lot of people would be upset about it

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
How much upside does he have though? He scored 40 five years ago and then became a 30 goal scorer. His shoulder is a mess, he's about to turn 30, and he's very one dimensional. He was a liability on the ice last season, couldn't produce and takes up a pile of space. I'd rather put $7.5m over the next two years towards another asset.
Fair enough, you could be right. He'd be a gamble.

And if we're going to gamble, I'd actually rather do it on OEL.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
The good part of the gamble I like is it's only 2 years

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The guy just led a mediocre club to the finals. I don't think he's a negative asset. If I were TO, I'd deal Marner for him.
You have to seperate the player and the asset.

He's got an immovable contract...the Habs could put out a memo to the entire league and despite his heroics which live in folklore amongst Habs fans who love a good goalie story....there are very few teams who would be capable of adding him without imposing some incentive for the Habs to pay.

It's taken an expansion draft for that possibility to even exist (as unlikely as I think it is).

So when I say he has negative asset value...don't take that to mean that I thinks he's a bad player.

Two separate things...

Reactions: Archijerej and V13

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
And Lebrun quoted Bill Daly. Engels is only saying this because his colleague Elliotte speculated the league wouldn't approve it.
Maybe I'm giving MB too much credit here, but I don't think he'd do this without knowing for sure that it could be done.

Then again, this is ALL speculative. For all we know MB just thinks they won't take Price because of the 11 mil bonus, or Price has asked to go there. No way for us to know anything. :laugh:

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
It's strange because 3-4 months ago, quite a few of us were saying how both Weber and Price (and even Drouin) should be left unprotected during the expansion draft. No way in 100 years would I have actually thought they would have done it. Funny how things work out...

Yeah and hfboards self-righteous knights in shining armors quickly attacked that idea as bad faith and negativism or just being a bad fan, bla bla bla... same for Drouin.

Still crazy to see that list.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Perfect, we can properly rebuild like we should have ages ago

We don't even need to completely rebuild. Suzuki, KK and Caufield will keep progressing and we could have lots of cap space. We might miss the playoffs this year (probably close to 50-50 chance) and grab a lottery pick but I see us being in the playoff picture by 2022-23.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You have to seperate the player and the asset.

He's got an immovable contract...the Habs could put out a memo to the entire league and despite his heroics which live in folklore amongst Habs fans who love a good goalie story....there are very few teams who would be capable of adding him without imposing some incentive for the Habs to pay.

It's taken an expansion draft for that possibility to even exist (as unlikely as I think it is).

So when I say he has negative asset value...don't take that to mean that I thinks he's a bad player.

Two separate things...
That's fair.

But I think there are definitely teams that would pony up for him. Esp after seeing him take Montreal to the finals. I think TO would do it. I think Colorado would do it.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Maybe I'm giving MB too much credit here, but I don't think he'd do this without knowing for sure that it could be done.

Then again, this is ALL speculative. For all we know MB just thinks they won't take Price because of the 11 mil bonus, or Price has asked to go there. No way for us to know anything. :laugh:

Well, MB thought Carolina wouldn't match the big first year bonus he gave to Aho on his contract...

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Based on Angela Prices ‘don’t worry it will make sense soon’ comment. I think they take Price and trade him back to us eating part of his cap for our 1st/prospect etc. (Assuming that is allowed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad