HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 Thread: Price Waives NMC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Fox

Hungry since '93
Aug 21, 2013
Thing is, I don't see MB having a deal in place with Seattle NOT to take Carey. If he had one, it would be the same deal that he would've had exposing Jake Allen. I don't see Seattle making a better deal not to take CP, than a deal not to take Jake Allen knowing well that this is a move for Montreal to protect Jake Allen.

It leaves us with a few options. The ones I see:

1) MB is risking CP to keep the tandem hoping the contract (maybe having hearsay) is too scary for Seattle.

2) There is a real possibility that CP leaves in the expansion draft, and MB or CP wants it to happen.

Option (1) is much more aligned with MB, but at the same time it is pretty risky for the type of character and love MB has shown for CP. I remember a journalist asking the question for Vegas a few years ago, and he just laughed at the idea of relying on his big contract to expose him.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
it's actually a fascinating, ballsy move. We know Bergevin loves Price but what is the thought process?
We all know Allen was invaluable, and he had to have discussed this with Carey, but what's his thinking?
If we lose him, he gets to go be closer to home where his in-laws live?
Yeah, but what if Seattle flips him? (edit - he can't be flipped w/o his consent)
Does Seattle lay off as a sign of respect, much like teams backed off Perry?
Is Bergevin thinking he needs to turn the page now that Weber is probably done and thinks
he can turn the reigns over to Allen / Primeau as a worst case scenario, while the young core
matures?

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
:huh:

That's so stupid, imagine Seattle picks him...

Its a calculated bet. Francis wouldn't shut up about wanting to keep his cap space intact. Price has a massive cap hit, term and his NMC is still in effect, which means it would be pretty hard to trade him.

But still, this is a massive gamble. If Price is gone and Weber's out for at least a year, the Habs are rebuilding. Which is ironically what half of us wanted before the playoff run.

cashinstinct

Cash is King
Jul 2, 2014
For people saying MB has a deal to protect Price and Allen / knows who Seattle will pick: then why bother asking Price to waive NMC?

In that case, pay the price Seattle wants to protect both, no need to waive any NMC.

It’s a gamble, or MB knows that Seattle wants Price and Price agreed.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I get why seattle wouldnt take him..

But... I get why they WOULD too... hes still an amazing goalie...

I mean..all this to protect "Jake Allen" ???????

This has been a INSANE CRAZY couple of days lol..holy shit, what's gonna happen
He'd be the early face of the franchise, MAB style. Plus he's got connections to the area from his junior days, it's an easy sell to the local press. I'm sure they'll really consider it. They won't do it in the end but they'll think about it long and hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad