HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
This is an easy response.

Why expose Drouin? Because he's the worst contract on the team. He has 0 trade value because he's a bad hockey player on a bad contract. We shopped him multiple times and no one wants him.

We would be so lucky if Seattle claimed Drouin.

I'm sure any team would trade 7 round pick for Drouin, so you cannot say Drouin doesn't has any value, The problem is MB, I'm sure MB is trying to get a impossible trade for Drouin instead of just taking what he is offered.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm sure any team would trade 7 round pick for Drouin, so you cannot say Drouin doesn't has any value, The problem is MB, I'm sure MB is trying to get a impossible trade for Drouin instead of just taking what he is offered.

I'm sure they don't. If you couldn't get anything for Mete as a depth defenseman at a deadline you aren't getting anything for a 5.5m forward who is a defensive liability, lacks effort and can't produce.

Reactions: Habs13

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
All I have seen is that his name was out there, not that MB was trying to get rid of him. Weird that you use that to say he has 0 value.

The reports were that they were shopping him and found no takers.

And he definitely has 0 value. Look at what the Caps paid to get Mantha/dump Panik and Panik makes 2m less than Drouin.

He's a cap dump.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Honestly if Drouin is traded this is good for us as it clears $5.5 mil to spend on free agency. Addition by subtraction.

this was what the Rangers did when they traded Gomez and signed Gaborik. They got lucky and got Mcdonagh too lol

Reactions: austin316

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Honestly if Drouin is traded this is good for us as it clears $5.5 mil to spend on free agency. Addition by subtraction.

this was what the Rangers did when they traded Gomez and signed Gaborik. They got lucky and got Mcdonagh too lol
With so many teams and owners losing their shirt from Covid, I can't see many takers this summer. Never know though.

Last edited:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
This is an easy response.

Why expose Drouin? Because he's the worst contract on the team. He has 0 trade value because he's a bad hockey player on a bad contract. We shopped him multiple times and no one wants him.

Weber can be traded. Not only is his reputation practically untarnished around the league but he's a right handed defenseman with a whole lot more intangibles that GMs value still. In addition his actual salary will be a lot lower than his cap hit meaning that a team like Ottawa can add a player like Weber and reach the cap floor without having to pay that much in actual dollars.

We would be so lucky if Seattle claimed Drouin.

I agree that Weber has value for a team looking to spend less $ vs. cap but that not something that bring a great return because it is a cap dump and there aren't many team trying to out bid each other... Even bottom feeders like OTT and DET might need that cap space in 3-4 years so 5 years might be too long or Weber might retire so they will lose that advantage...
On the the ice even if he has is reputation, no one is scared of him right now... He losing more and more battle along the board, his lack of mobility leave him to give the blue line, he can't really throw any big hit and he isn't able to get open to use his shot (which also doesn't have the same zip). I can't see any of this improving in the next few years... Even with all the intangilbles if he can't perform on the ice it doesn't have the same impact on a team.

Reagarding Drouin, he is disapponting but his decline isn't has imminent... I'm sure MB tried to trade him but if he didn't, I would assume that it isn't because no team would take him but that not team was willing to give what MB was asking.

There was really not many teams that were careless with there money or cap space this year... Team that have no cash will use the cap space to acquire asset not just add intangeble.
We aren't getting much for either player but the market for Drouin is probably bigger just because more team would be able to fit him under the cap and is expected production should be more in line with is $... Also if money is a issue it would be easier to retain on Drouin 2years, not sure we want to retain on Weber for 5 years...

We just don't have enough asset to start giving them away for free, the difference is that after the expansion draft I think 5 years of Weber at 7.8M$ is likely be more negative value to move than 2 years of Drouin a 5.5M$...

IF we expose Weber it is to keep Chariot or Fleury, if we expose Drouin who are we protecting? even if we protect Tatar and Danualt that are UFA we be exposing Byron (as been on waiver twice) Evans or Lehkonen... I would not want to lose Evans but the price to protect him in a side deal probably isn't too expensive...

If we lose Weber we could turn right around and offer Hamilton a min of 7.8M$ over 7 years all front loaded in bonus, not many playoff team will be able to throw that kind of money around and if we can't land him we might be able to get ok NHLer like Savard or Larsson
If we lose Drouin we probably can't land a top 6 LW with 5.5M$ in the UFA market that would be a paid cut for most of them...

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Price isn't going anywhere. Still a top goalie and still has good years left. His contract is rich but it's nowhere near as problematic as Weber's. Regardless, he's got a NMC. He ain't going to an expansion team.

Weber on the other hand has nothing to stop him from being claimed. His performance has dropped, he's older and got a longer contract that's worth 8 mil per. Plus, the actual dollars owed are like 3 mil per which would be attractive to any team. He's a vet and would be perfect for an expansion team to build with. That makes a whole lot more sense for us.

What we should be doing is building an actual blueline.

I might be mistaking but i think Weber still got great value for some team, not because he’s great on the ice, but because the structure of his contract and his leadership. You dont think Ottawa would pay a good price a year from now for Weber to surround their kids at 3M(salary) and 7.8m cap hit, that would allow them to play 4.8M under the cap floor if they’re in financial trouble.

IF im right, it would be stupid to expose a guy that can give you something good in return when you dont have to. I would expose Drouin way before Weber

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I’d expose Weber, Drouin & Price. I love Price & doubt Seattle would claim him but he’s 34 and we can roll with Allen And Primeau for 2 years if he was claimed. Save 10m as well.

This is the smart way.

Simply put out calls on Weber, Price and Drouin and see if anyone wants to trade for them because they have open retention slots in the expansion draft. If nobody wants them, then expose all three.

Seattle will take one.. likely Price or Weber. They are veterans revered around the league, there's star power in their names and they can get to the cap floor easily.

Problem is Price would need to waive. Though I think if you marketed Price to Colorado (provided they lose because of goaltending again this year), I think there's a way forward there.

Reactions: Habs13 and FrankMTL

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
This is the smart way.

Simply put out calls on Weber, Price and Drouin and see if anyone wants to trade for them because they have open retention slots in the expansion draft. If nobody wants them, then expose all three.

Seattle will take one.. likely Price or Weber. They are veterans revered around the league, there's star power in their names and they can get to the cap floor easily.

Problem is Price would need to waive. Though I think if you marketed Price to Colorado (provided they lose because of goaltending again this year), I think there's a way forward there.

Argree with all of this.

614de537ea516c274f9c95e722fbf9d5.gif

Reactions: WeThreeKings

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I’d expose Weber, Drouin & Price. I love Price & doubt Seattle would claim him but he’s 34 and we can roll with Allen And Primeau for 2 years if he was claimed. Save 10m as well.
Can’t expose Price without his authorization ...something called a No Movement Clause

If a player w NMC were to ever waive it’ll be on their terms, I only see Price waiving for a chance at a Cup. So unless Seattle is able to pull off a VGK draft heist, which is highly improbable, it ain’t happening...

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Can’t expose Price without his authorization ...something called a No Movement Clause

We know, but at least the fact that Seattle is very close to BC and very close to his wife's hometown might be enough to convince him to waive his NMC to go to Seattle.

Reactions: Habs13

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
We know, but at least the fact that Seattle is very close to BC and very close to his wife's hometown might be enough to convince him to waive his NMC to go to Seattle.
Price has won everything there is to win at all levels except the Cup....that’s what he’ll be after if he were to ever agree to lift his NMC.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I gave Bergevin the pass for not getting real defense help at the deadline. I won't give him the pass with Minnesota, Colorado, and Nashvilles situation of having 4 good dmen they need to protect. Hopefully Bergevin isn't even here by then, but I'm assuming he is because Molson is an idiot.
Yes. This is a great opportunity to turn our top-2 on defence into a top-3, ease everybodys' workload and push everyone in the bottom-3 down a chair.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
With the season winding down we also have to consider number of games played for minimum exposure requirement

There should be no problem with defense and goaltenders so I'll leave them out. It gets interesting when talking about forwards. They need to expose 2 that are signed (or qualified RFA) with the minimum requirements for games played

Paul Byron will undoubtly be #1 so that's done

#2 will be a tad more complicated. Technically they could expose Jake Evans and call it a day, but there are more options. Artturi Lehkonen for one, but he would need to be qualied, and at his salary, I don't think Bergevin will do that. Meaning he will need to be re-signed before the expansion draft if they want him to count towards the requirements. Probably around 1.5M for 1 or 2 years I would say.

The next option is Armia, who unlike Lehkonen is an UFA. He could also be re-signed and exposed, probably in the neighborhood of 2 million for 1 or 2 years

Jordan Weal needs 3 games to meet the requirements, unfortunately for him I don't think he will play in the NHL this year. So we can forget about this option.

The last option are the older UFAs - Staal, Perry and Frolik. Among them I can only see the Habs bringing back Perry on a similar deal that he has presently. It could be a legit option, but he would need to be signed before the expansion draft happens.

Of course, we could always expose Drouin...

The best scenario is Byron + either Lehkonen or Perry, though I'm not sure if Lehky will be back next year. I would hope Evans would not be exposed. Sign Perry and expose him.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Honestly here’s my thoughts

new team
New city
Needs brand names

Carey Price
Shea Weber
Are two brand names and will attract a lot of American fans in Seattle.

Both are BC boys and Seattle would be close to home.

officer Seattle both and a first round pick.
It’s gonna hurt our team but we shed $7.3 mil for next 6 years and $10.5 mil for next 8 years.
Start our rebuilding with Primeau and Allen.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
I would expose Price if he permits it as well. Allen at 2.8 is a steal, would suck to lose him.

10.5 is just too much when he’s either already declining or about to likely decline.

otherwise I wouldn’t mind Chiarot or Edmundson be claimed to make way for a defenseman who can play offensive.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It’s hard for any of us to know the reality of the trade market at the moment. If Bergevin can get anything of value for Drouin, Weber and Price, then he should do it (although with Price the NMC would be difficult). If not, then try to force Seattle into picking one of our higher paid players that are underperforming by exposing them all.

Weber
Chiarot
Byron
Drouin
Price (if he waives his NMC)

Reactions: Supersonic

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Price has won everything there is to win at all levels except the Cup....that’s what he’ll be after if he were to ever agree to lift his NMC.
Then why would we want to stay in Montreal? :sarcasm:

I’d be shocked if he didn’t waive to go west.

Reactions: Supersonic

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
It’s hard for any of us to know the reality of the trade market at the moment. If Bergevin can get anything of value for Drouin, Weber and Price, then he should do it (although with Price the NMC would be difficult). If not, then try to force Seattle into picking one of our higher paid players that are underperforming by exposing them all.

Weber
Chiarot
Byron
Drouin
Right now many teams are close to cap crunch. All theses players has littles value on trade market because of that cap crunch. But, if you want to get rid of a big contract like Weber you could. You just have to acquire their anchors backs. Exemple : you trade weber to tampa for tyler johnson and their first pick. Thats the kind of move I would do next summer. Get some anchor ok right, but they are coming with first pick.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Then why would we want to stay in Montreal? :sarcasm:

I’d be shocked if he didn’t waive to go west.

interesting observation I always approach this option as MB needing to convince Price...maybe with the team spiralling yet again, Carey is just over it.

the extra $10.5M in cap would be a dream ideally a new GM could use it to build around KK, Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov, Toffoli, JA, Gallagher, Petry

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario

Weber
Chiarot
Byron
Drouin

what’s crazy is those contracts account for about $30M on the cap

an absolute disaster lol

Reactions: FrankMTL

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Weber or Drouin need to remain unprotected. Hopefully, Seattle snatches one of the two.

If they offer something for Price, pull the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad