HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I'm a huge Price fan but looking forward, keeping Allen/Primeau as our tandem and freeing up that cap space would be huge for us.

It feels very similar to where Pittsburgh was (without the cups) back when Fluery went to LV.

Reactions: frapp10

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why would you protect Weber?

I wouldn't, but I suspect management will. so I put him on there to show, again even if we protect him, we're not losing a significant skater, and Allen is the best unprotected asset.

Who would I protect? It would be between Fleury, Merrill, Chiarot, and Gus. Depends on what we see from them. I would hope it's Merrill. But he hasn't emerged yet. But it's such a small sample size. A big part also depend for example on who I realistically think will be able to replace Chiarot next year. That depends on who's avalable from other teams.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I'm a huge Price fan but looking forward, keeping Allen/Primeau as our tandem and freeing up that cap space would be huge for us.

It feels very similar to where Pittsburgh was (without the cups) back when Fluery went to LV.

And sending Fleury hurt them more than anything else

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I don't see it happening...

1) Price is owed a lot of money and way more than what Fleury was being paid.

2) Would Price want to waive his NMC to play for an expansion team? Even if his wife is from the area? It would have to be really really bad in Montreal for him to want out and not force us to trade him somewhere else.

I agree that Allen and Primeau would be awesome and we save cap space to maybe give Ovi an offer but it's a dream. Hope I'm wrong cause I do think Price needs a change and so do the Habs in net.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't, but I suspect management will. so I put him on there to show, again even if we protect him, we're not losing a significant skater, and Allen is the best unprotected asset.

Who would I protect? It would be between Fleury, Merrill, Chiarot, and Gus. Depends on what we see from them. I would hope it's Merrill. But he hasn't emerged yet. But it's such a small sample size. A big part also depend for example on who I realistically think will be able to replace Chiarot next year. That depends on who's avalable from other teams.

I think Chariot is underrated. Big body that skates well and is very strong on the puck. The things he does beyond creating offense flies under the radar to a lot of fans. Honestly, I'd protect Chariot over Weber based on what I have seen from Weber this year

Imagine if we expose Weber and he gets taken and then we work a deal to trade Price to Seattle too? We would have to retain on Price but with Weber's full cap hit gone and lets say 40% of Price's contract, we would be fine and have tons of space. If that happens, who do we spend the cap space on? An offer sheet to a RFA?

What we do in the playoffs (Weber and Price especially) will determine a lot of things

Reactions: CAUFIELD and Hins77

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I seriously wonder if we make a deal with Seattle to trade for Price while not taking Allen. Simply put, out of the players we have to leave unprotected, Allen is easily the most attractive. So do we trade Price or lose Allen?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I seriously wonder if we make a deal with Seattle to trade for Price while not taking Allen. Simply put, out of the players we have to leave unprotected, Allen is easily the most attractive. So do we trade Price or lose Allen?

Not sure they want Price.

Another option is something like giving them a 2nd to take a McNiven, or a Chiarot.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Nit sure they want Price.

Another option is something like giving them a 2nd to take a McNiven, or a Chiarot.
I’m not down with trading any assets to entice them to take a particular player. Vegas made out like a bandit because of it and the teams who made those deals got hosed.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I’m not down with trading any assets to entice them to take a particular player. Vegas made out like a bandit because of it and the teams who made those deals got hosed.

True, but I'm not talking about giving up a 1st nor am I talking about giving up a top young player.

Would you trade McNiven + 2nd for Jake Allen if we didn't have a back up going into next year and the market looked bleak?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
True, but I'm not talking about giving up a 1st nor am I talking about giving up a top young player.

Would you trade McNiven + 2nd for Jake Allen if we didn't have a back up going into next year and the market looked bleak?
Fair point but not sure Seattle would go for that, even if I would.

Jul 6, 2016
I don't see it happening...

1) Price is owed a lot of money and way more than what Fleury was being paid.

2) Would Price want to waive his NMC to play for an expansion team? Even if his wife is from the area? It would have to be really really bad in Montreal for him to want out and not force us to trade him somewhere else.

I agree that Allen and Primeau would be awesome and we save cap space to maybe give Ovi an offer but it's a dream. Hope I'm wrong cause I do think Price needs a change and so do the Habs in net.

Price is super expensive for any team. But I would think he would love playing out West near his wife,s parents and near BC and his own relatives. No more MTL pressure day in and day out. It would be crazy to not waive his clause.

Habs should even give a pick to Seattle to pick Price and his salary.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Merril and Gus are both UFA's. No sense in protecting either. The choice would be Chiarot or Fleury, but I highly doubt the Habs will expose Weber. IMO the optics of exposing your captain and league-wide respected veteran (and one of your best defenseman, still, let's not forget) would be more damaging than it would be worth.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I’m not sure to be honest. I think if you protect 11 you have to do 7-3-1. But I don’t think there was any restrictions on 8 provided a goalie was made available.

The two options for protecting players is:

1) protect 7 forwards, 3 defencemen, and 1 goalie

2) protect 8 skaters (F/D) and 1 goalie

Reactions: NeptunesTrident

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Merril and Gus are both UFA's. No sense in protecting either. The choice would be Chiarot or Fleury, but I highly doubt the Habs will expose Weber. IMO the optics of exposing your captain and league-wide respected veteran (and one of your best defenseman, still, let's not forget) would be more damaging than it would be worth.

I suspect Management won't expose Weber because they still believe in him and want him on the team next year. Remember, Bergevin said publicly Markov and Subban aren't those good, big defenseman like Shea Weber and Morgan Reilly that you never trade...

I think he'll be easy to move after next year anyways to a non-cap team. So they're not worried about getting stuck with him.

I'd rather have him off the books right now, personally.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I suspect Management won't expose Weber because they still believe in him and want him on the team next year. Remember, Bergevin said publicly Markov and Subban aren't those good, big defenseman like Shea Weber and Morgan Reilly that you never trade...

I think he'll be easy to move after next year anyways to a non-cap team. So they're not worried about getting stuck with him.

I'd rather have him off the books right now, personally.

I agree, which is why I'm not eager to move him now, especially when we have no one to legitimately replace him. I don't think his contract is an issue in the short term. I'd be more keen to free up the contracts of Drouin, Byron, and Price as we DO have replacements for them (easier said than done obviously).

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I agree, which is why I'm not eager to move him now, especially when we have no one to legitimately replace him. I don't think his contract is an issue in the short term. I'd be more keen to free up the contracts of Drouin, Byron, and Price as we DO have replacements for them (easier said than done obviously).

Imo, the easiest to move out of the 3 you mention is Drouin, as he's the most talented...Byron is just a dump now and it'll cost to get them to absorb his contract for the next two years...Price is a very heavy lift for any team to absorb and I truly don't think we're ready to have him depart...add a small incentive and I think Seattle would take Drouin instead of Allen...

Reactions: lamp9post

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Imo, the easiest to move out of the 3 you mention is Drouin, as he's the most talented...Byron is just a dump now and it'll cost to get them to absorb his contract for the next two years...Price is a very heavy lift for any team to absorb and I truly don't think we're ready to have him depart...add a small incentive and I think Seattle would take Drouin instead of Allen...

Just expose both and let the chips fall. No need to give assets.. we can survive without Allen and we would have an addition by subtraction losing Drouin. The team can't win a cup with Allen and certainly can't without Price playing like a god, so it doesn't really matter.

Reactions: EXPOS123

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Just expose both and let the chips fall. No need to give assets.. we can survive without Allen and we would have an addition by subtraction losing Drouin. The team can't win a cup with Allen and certainly can't without Price playing like a god, so it doesn't really matter.

Having Allen is more of a security blanket until Primeau is ready (hopefully) and, imo, we need to dump a forward (or a defenseman who's last name rhymes with why not) and let the kids play...Drouin or Byron and I think it's easier, and less costly as far as incentives go, to have them take Drouin...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

This is the core of the team that we have now, and for next year, unless there are changes:

Caufield KK Gallagher
______ Suzuki Toffoli
Tatar Danault Anderson
_____ _____ Evans

Drouin, and Byron should be moved if possible, or can play on the 4th line.
Maybe Poehling is ready for top 9 LW. If not, hopefully we add someone in the offseason

____ Weber
Edmundson Petry
Romanov ____

The number 6 can be filled by Chiarot or perhpas Merrill. Maybe Fleury is ready. Maybe Romanov is ready to be Weber's partner. Gotta find a partner for Weber, i.e. to upgrade on Chiarot.

Price
Allen*

*most likely claimed by Seattle

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
This is the core of the team that we have now, and for next year, unless there are changes:

Caufield KK Gallagher
______ Suzuki Toffoli
Tatar Danault Anderson
_____ _____ Evans

Drouin, and Byron should be moved if possible, or can play on the 4th line.
Maybe Poehling is ready for top 9 LW. If not, hopefully we add someone in the offseason

____ Weber
Edmundson Petry
Romanov ____

The number 6 can be filled by Chiarot or perhpas Merrill. Maybe Fleury is ready. Maybe Romanov is ready to be Weber's partner. Gotta find a partner for Weber, i.e. to upgrade on Chiarot.

Price
Allen*

*most likely claimed by Seattle

Unless they want to be in cap hell, Habs will only resign 1 of Tatar or danault. I can see weber agreeing to a mutual termination. Poehling and ylonen should be up soon rather than later. They'll probably throw out a package for Seattle to take Byron. Anyways, it's probably easier to deal Drouin with 1 year left after next season

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Having Allen is more of a security blanket until Primeau is ready (hopefully) and, imo, we need to dump a forward (or a defenseman who's last name rhymes with why not) and let the kids play...Drouin or Byron and I think it's easier, and less costly as far as incentives go, to have them take Drouin...

Yeah I'm sure we can find a 1 year stop gap if we lose Allen. It might incur more losses but that's fine with me considering the super elite 2022 and 2023 drafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->