HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Romanov doesn't have to be protected. We can protect Petry, Edmundson, and one of Chiarot or Merrill (if he's better than Chiarot we re-sign him).

We can protect/or have exempt all of the following players:
Tatar Danault Gallagher
Toffoli Kotkaniemi Caufield
Anderson Suzuki Evans

Edmundson Petry
Romanov Merrill/Chiarot

Price

Petry, Gallagher and Price have NMCs and cannot be exposed. Romanov is exempt because he hasn't played more than 2 seasons. Caufield has not played a single game yet, no reason to protect him. Suzuki is also exempt.

It's almost certain that KK, Anderson, Toffoli and Evans will be protected. Two forward spots remain, but it's tough to choose between Byron, Lek and Drouin. I don't see why any one of them should be brought back.

Tatar/Danault/Merrill/Staal/Perry/Gustafson
/Armia/Weal/Baddock/Dauphin/Vejdemo/Belzile/Lindgren are UFA, so why protect them? Unless off course you re-sign them prior to the expansion draft. Apart from Perry and Staal, I don't see why the others should be re-signed. Lindgren could have been traded while his value was high.

That's called terrible asset management and yesterday was no exception to the rule. BargainBin lost yet another prospect to waivers and traded picks for scrubs. The Habs missed the opportunity to sell Danault, Armia and Tatar yesterday. I don't see any of them re-signing even if BargainBin tries. It was a great opportunity to build through the draft but BozoBin won't stay true to his word. Between these 3, I would bring back Tatar because the team is weak on LWs. However, Danault likely gets signed to an over-inflated contract to please the media.

On D, you protect both Edmundson and Chiarot. Expose Weber and hope they pick him instead of Allen.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Petry, Gallagher and Price have NMCs and cannot be exposed. Romanov is exempt because he hasn't played more than 2 seasons. Caufield has not played a single game yet, no reason to protect him. Suzuki is also exempt.

It's almost certain that KK, Anderson, Toffoli and Evans will be protected. Two forward spots remain, but it's tough to choose between Byron, Lek and Drouin. I don't see why any one of them should be brought back.

Tatar/Danault/Merrill/Staal/Perry/Gustafson
/Armia/Weal/Baddock/Dauphin/Vejdemo/Belzile/Lindgren are UFA, so why protect them? Unless off course you re-sign them prior to the expansion draft. Apart from Perry and Staal, I don't see why the others should be re-signed. Lindgren could have been traded while his value was high.

That's called terrible asset management and yesterday was no exception to the rule. BargainBin lost yet another prospect to waivers and traded picks for scrubs. The Habs missed the opportunity to sell Danault, Armia and Tatar yesterday. I don't see any of them re-signing even if BargainBin tries. It was a great opportunity to build through the draft but BozoBin won't stay true to his word. Between these 3, I would bring back Tatar because the team is weak on LWs. However, Danault likely gets signed to an over-inflated contract to please the media.

On D, you protect both Edmundson and Chiarot. Expose Weber and hope they pick him instead of Allen.

Drouin, Byron, Lehkonen, and Armia are all totally irrelevant to me. I wouldn't bat an eyelash at any of them being selected and so I wouldn't protect them. Cheaper replacements that are just as good are easily available.

In fact I would give a pick for Seattle to take Byron or Drouin because of their high cap hits.

Tatar and Danault are not easily replaceable. I'd resign them provided we have the cap space - we could have the cap space if we were able to unload Drouin, Byron, Lehkonen, and Armia.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I believe the protection list will be:

7 F:
Gallagher
KK
Toffoli
Anderson
Drouin
Evans
Byron/Lehkonen (unless either Tatar/Danault is re-signed before the ED)

3 D:
Weber
Petry
Edmundson

1 G:
Price

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Jake evans could be a typical choice from a team like Seattle. Don’t think they gonna select futur UFA like danault and tatar. Or they could go with player with good value market like jake allen or ben chiarot. Pretty sure you expose Weber and they don’t touch it. There will be many player with big salary on the exposure imo

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Evans seems like our 6th protected forward player at this point, so a lot would need to happen for him to be left exposed

-We have a ton of UFAs of course at forward
-I can't see them protecting Byron
-Lehkonen is holding onto the 7th protected spot and honestly I think he gets traded

So 2 forwards would need to be added for Evans to be left exposed basically

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
7F: KK, Anderson, Toffoli, Gallagher, :dunno:, :dunno:, :dunno:
3D: Petry, Weber, Edmundson
1G: Price

I'd consider trading Drouin to Seattle in exchange of having them pick Chiarot for cap space to resign Tatar and Danault.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Based on current roster I say this is likeliest.
7F:
Gallagher
Toffoli
Anderson
KK
Danault
Tatar
Drouin

3D:
Petry
Edmundson
Weber

1G:
Price

Likely gone Allen, Chiarot, Lehkonen.

We're actually pretty well set up with the likeliest to go being Allen IMO and you hope Primeau can step in.

But, if we do get a new GM, we might get a surprise if they come in hot and heavy with a plan to revamp the franchise and I could see a trade of Weber or Price to Seattle instead. It's what I would do.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Based on current roster I say this is likeliest.
7F:
Gallagher
Toffoli
Anderson
KK
Danault
Tatar
Drouin

3D:
Petry
Edmundson
Weber

1G:
Price

Likely gone Allen, Chiarot, Lehkonen.

We're actually pretty well set up with the likeliest to go being Allen IMO and you hope Primeau can step in.

But, if we do get a new GM, we might get a surprise if they come in hot and heavy with a plan to revamp the franchise and I could see a trade of Weber or Price to Seattle instead. It's what I would do.

probably the case if MB is still in charge... if we get a competent GM hired before, then Evans/Lekhonen protected over Drouin/Tatar (assuming Danault gets re-signed) and Chiarot protected over Weber would make much more sense.

either Drouin or Weber getting taken would help the new GM a ton... I'd bet Seattle takes Weber given his reputation and the small amount of real dollars he's owed (vs cap hit). Allen seems like a quite likely option for them as well if they don't find/target another G via trade/signing for the #1 spot. Highly doubt they'd take Drouin.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
There is zero chance Bergie allows Allen to be claimed by Seattle. He signed him to a 2 year contract and they are on record saying they want Primeau in the AHL for 2 more years to gain experience.

With Price's injuries and the constant battle over the past 5 years of finding a capable backup, Montreal is not going to risk losing the best backup they have had in decades. We will pay Seattle to not take Allen if required. Absolutely zero doubt in my mind and it will be the right move.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I think MB should consider paying Seattle to take Drouin off of our hands
If they can convince Price to waive his NMC for the draft, they could potentially set things up so Seattle's best options would only be Drouin or Chiarot.

Protect:

Gallagher, Toffoli, KK, Anderson, Evans, Danault (extended), Tatar (extended)

Weber, Petry, Edmunson

Allen

There is no way Seattle would take Price's contract (nor Byron's). I doubt they take UFA Armia or RFA Lehkonen, either.

*If they only extend one of Danault or Tatar, then protect Lehkonen.

** Or, they could potentially protect Chiarot and leave Weber unprotected. Then Seattle's only options would be Drouin, Price, Weber or an AHL player.

Last edited:

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
There is no way Seattle would take Price's contract (nor Byron's). I doubt they take UFA Armia or RFA Lehkonen, either.

Maybe they could take Price's contract or maybe he's willing to move (he would probably be closer to his hometown and away from the Montreal media). Seattle won't pick that many high cap-hit contracts so his contract could be needed to reach the floor (to some extent). Unless his medical records show that he's broken, he would be an interesting piece. There won't be many "#1s" available in the draft: Halak/Rask are UFAs, Holtby should be there, Bobrovsky has a NMC, ...

There is lots of room to protect him. I would rather protect a young, developing center than Drouin.

Sure. But Evans' ceiling is at best a 3rd line center.. and I feel like he's still far away from being one. There aren't a whole lot of options to protect though.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
If they can convince Price to waive his NMC for the draft, they could potentially set things up so Seattle's best options would only be Drouin or Chiarot.

Protect:

Gallagher, Toffoli, KK, Anderson, Evans, Danault (extended), Tatar (extended)

Weber, Petry, Edmunson

Allen

*If they only extend one of Danault or Tatar, then protect Lehkonen.

** Or, they could potentially protect Chiarot and leave Weber unprotected. Then Seattle's only options would be Drouin, Price, Weber or an AHL player.

this would be my exact approach.

Unfortunately MB can’t or won’t be able to get Price to agree

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Get Price to waive his NTC and convince Seattle to take him would be huge for the the Habs! I would be ready to give next year’s first and more for them to take Price!!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Get Price to waive his NTC and convince Seattle to take him would be huge for the the Habs! I would be ready to give next year’s first and more for them to take Price!!
Price isn't going anywhere. Still a top goalie and still has good years left. His contract is rich but it's nowhere near as problematic as Weber's. Regardless, he's got a NMC. He ain't going to an expansion team.

Weber on the other hand has nothing to stop him from being claimed. His performance has dropped, he's older and got a longer contract that's worth 8 mil per. Plus, the actual dollars owed are like 3 mil per which would be attractive to any team. He's a vet and would be perfect for an expansion team to build with. That makes a whole lot more sense for us.

What we should be doing is building an actual blueline.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Is it possible we go 4-4?

KK
Anderson
Toffoli
Gallagher

Weber
Petry
Eddy
Chiarot/fleury

If they take drouin we use his money bring back Tatar who supposedly wants to resign.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
HFHabs Galaxy brains: OMG, why does BaRgAiN bIn always acquire so many cheap depth players at the bottom of the lineup by trade and free agency, those are useless!?! :whine:

Also HFHabs Galaxy brains: we should expose Price, Weber, and Drouin. We can just replace our 1G, top 4D, and top 6F at the top of the lineup with cheap players through trade and free agency!!

Reactions: Not The One

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
HFHabs Galaxy brains: OMG, why does BaRgAiN bIn always acquire so many cheap depth players at the bottom of the lineup by trade and free agency, those are useless!?! :whine:

Also HFHabs Galaxy brains: we should expose Price, Weber, and Drouin. We can just replace our 1G, top 4D, and top 6F at the top of the lineup with cheap players through trade and free agency!!

They can only take 1 player you know :dunno:

Reactions: Habano and Runner77

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
They can only take 1 player you know :dunno:

Yes, but if you leave them all exposed you don't get to decide which one it would be, so you have to be able to replace any of them. There are also galaxy brain posts like this that try to "help" us out.

Tell Seattle you'll leave Weber or Drouin open and that if they take one of the other you'll give the other as incentive :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad