HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
so he can do that?
If he chooses the 4-4-1 option he can protect 4D , 4F and 1G. ideally I’d go with the 7-3-1 option and tell Seattle to take Drouin and we will thrown in a 3rd round pick

DO NOT NEGOTIATE with them. Drouin is not an awful player to take on for Seattle and throw in a little sweetener to maybe push them in that direction. If they say no, then let them take whoever they want but if I were MB, I would dictate the terms. If they agree, great. If they don’t want Drouin and a 3rd then let them take whoever. In any scenario, do not let a new franchise bully you into giving up significant assets to take a player, but try to sweeten a bit

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
If he chooses the 4-4-1 option he can protect 4D , 4F and 1G. ideally I’d go with the 7-3-1 option and tell Seattle to take Drouin and we will thrown in a 3rd round pick

DO NOT NEGOTIATE with them. Drouin is not an awful player to take on for Seattle and throw in a little sweetener to maybe push them in that direction. If they say no, then let them take whoever they want but if I were MB, I would dictate the terms. If they agree, great. If they don’t want Drouin and a 3rd then let them take whoever. In any scenario, do not let a new franchise bully you into giving up significant assets to take a player, but try to sweeten a bit

ew. protect only 4 forwards? yikes. no thanks

Reactions: calder candidate

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
No way does MB expose Weber.

I don't agree. There is such a thing as "talking". MB TALKs to Seattle and agrees they will not be taking Weber.

Bergevin then talks to Weber and explains that he has arranged for them to take someone else, because Chiarot is being protected.

Weber gets to keep his partner and minute eater, and knows that the GM made sure he was staying wsith the club.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
I don't agree. There is such a thing as "talking". MB TALKs to Seattle and agrees they will not be taking Weber.

Bergevin then talks to Weber and explains that he has arranged for them to take someone else, because Chiarot is being protected.

Weber gets to keep his partner and minute eater, and knows that the GM made sure he was staying wsith the club.

That makes no sense. If you don't protect someone because you "talked" with someone and they cross you, what happens next?

Weber is gonna be protected. 100%.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
That makes no sense. If you don't protect someone because you "talked" with someone and they cross you, what happens next?

Weber is gonna be protected. 100%.

The chances that Weber is exposed are slim to none to zero IMHO. If Weber is exposed the hockey world would be massively shocked. Especially under Bergevin’s management. Especially after this playoff’s run.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Would Seattle want Anderson, if they have to take Drouin and Byron with him?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We keep Anderson.

I don't think he's been an essential part of our playoff success so far, and I think we could use the 5.5M in cap space to make us better than we are now.

But, of course I could be wrong. Maybe his hits make up for his lack of production and sound defensive zone coverage, making him worth the 5.5M cap hit he'll get for the next 7 years. Maybe we couldn't use that 5.5M in cap space in better ways.

Reactions: Blame the referee

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Chiarot's been so darn good in the last two post-seasons though. He eats big minutes vs top lines, has an extremely high winning percentage in puck battles,
That's true, but in order to impress in the playoffs, you first have to qualify, which will not be an easy task next year. The Chiarot-Weber pairing was far from reliable for stretches this season. I think the captain needs a new partner.

There's also the question of powerplay. Even the lowly Gustafsson demonstrated what difference a PP quarterback makes.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The only issue is which would cost more to protect Weber or Chariot?

I believe it is Chariot because he still in is prime and is contract is infinitely better. So you protect Chariot and expose Weber, if you can’t work out a deal we just manager to clear 7.8M$ of cap space for the next 5 years which isn’t nothing either.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The chances that Weber is exposed are slim to none to zero IMHO. If Weber is exposed the hockey world would be massively shocked. Especially under Bergevin’s management. Especially after this playoff’s run.
You will see that many teams will do something like that with older high priced players. Deals will be worked out by negotiating with Seattle.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You will see that many teams will do something like that with older high priced players. Deals will be worked out by negotiating with Seattle.

Reports so far are that Francis' asking price for side deals is very high -negotiations start at a 1st rounder. We'll see if prices come down.

There are tons of teams with bad contracts they desperately want to get rid of to be able to keep core players that need raises. We'll see how many Seattle takes on. Seattle also wants to compete out of the gate.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Would Seattle want Anderson, if they have to take Drouin and Byron with him?

I mean, could you at least be realistic lol, as if Bergevin just gets rid of Anderson after 1 year that hasnt even been THAT bad anyway, its a 0 chance
Forget the fact that you somehow want Seattle to take on 14.4 million dollars to boot?!?

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I mean, could you at least be realistic lol, as if Bergevin just gets rid of Anderson after 1 year that hasnt even been THAT bad anyway, its a 0 chance
Forget the fact that you somehow want Seattle to take on 14.4 million dollars to boot?!?

I was asking a question. So it's a no from YOU. Fair enough...

Mb has gotten rid of players that didn't work out. Erik Cole scored 35 goals the year before he arrived. 19 games into the next year, Cole sucked. MB got rid of him. He s as I'd it doesn't matter what he did in the past, I don't like what I'm seeing now.

I really don't like what I've seen from Anderson since his fast start (i.e. the last 52 games). But, of course hopefully he can turn things around.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I don't think he's been an essential part of our playoff success so far, and I think we could use the 5.5M in cap space to make us better than we are now.

But, of course I could be wrong. Maybe his hits make up for his lack of production and sound defensive zone coverage, making him worth the 5.5M cap hit he'll get for the next 7 years. Maybe we couldn't use that 5.5M in cap space in better ways.
Anderson is certainly more essential to protect than Drouin. Even with his inconsistent play this season, Anderson's skill set would be in demand around the league. Meanwhile, right now it would be difficult to give Drouin away for free.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I hope we can trade away Drouin to Seattle.
I think they might be interested considering he is still young and has untapped potential.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I will be totally pissed if the Habs consciously allow the team to lose a more important player than a less, because of perceived "feelings being hurt". They aren't in kindergarten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad