HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I don't agree. There is such a thing as "talking". MB TALKs to Seattle and agrees they will not be taking Weber.

Bergevin then talks to Weber and explains that he has arranged for them to take someone else, because Chiarot is being protected.

Weber gets to keep his partner and minute eater, and knows that the GM made sure he was staying wsith the club.
Makes 0 sense. Even if MB had enough faith in Seattle's GM to not take a specific player, he'd protect Weber and task Seattle not to take Chariot, not the other way around.

Reactions: pepperMonkey

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
the problem with wanting Seattle to pick Drouin is since we don't know what's wrong, we don't know if he will be back next season so impossible to project him as being picked until we have more details on the situation.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Makes 0 sense. Even if MB had enough faith in Seattle's GM to not take a specific player, he'd protect Weber and task Seattle not to take Chariot, not the other way around.
I don't buy this feelings stuff.

Weber is a man mountain, not a fragile ego. Do you think he is going to be saying to Marc Bergevin, "thanks for losing my defence partner, good job! Don't worry, Dom will just play three of us on D next year."

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I don't buy this feelings stuff.

Weber is a man mountain, not a fragile ego. Do you think he is going to be saying to Marc Bergevin, "thanks for losing my defence partner, good job! Don't worry, Dom will just play three of us on D next year."
Pretty sure Weber would rather lose Chariot than end up on an expansion team, yes.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Koivuguy

Feb 25, 2021
If habs don't protect droiun and seattle is interested on him so do they need exactly tell to Seattle droiun health situation or can they just shut up and tell nothing?

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I would protect:

Price

Weber, Petry, Edmundson, Chiarot

Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Toffoli, Anderson

Probably lose Evans or Lehkonen or Allen, but no matter what you lose one pretty good player.

That is the nature of the draft. I'm sure we weren't ready to part with Emelin, but it just happened. Honestly, I'm ready to lose one of the guys you mentioned or Chiarot, who I think Seattle would flip to a contender. If they're looking for a forward, Lehkonen is gone over Evans just by virtue of one or two less headshots. I'd hate to lose Fleury. I think there is something promising there.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Do you guys think it's possible Bergevin trades the pick to Seattle in exchange of drafting Drouin?

Locks

May 28, 2005
Do you guys think it's possible Bergevin trades the pick to Seattle in exchange of drafting Drouin?

I highly doubt that. MB has never traded a first and as someone who was involved in draft scouting is very big on draft. There are other ways to address the Drouin situation, including buyout, LTIR as WTK pointed above, or a trade for a player with a smaller cap hit. Drouin is not Alzner, he is an NHL player with only two years left on his contract, and at a smaller cap hit he could be attractive to a team.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
...so would we rather risk losing Chiarot to Seattle or keep him on our Top Pairing??...those are pretty much the choices...
Well, with the 3,5 milions we would open, I don't think we will be able to draft someone better than him for the 1st pair, so I would probably prefer to keep him, even if he is far from ideal on the 1st pair. I would probably go 4-4-1 and let Seattle take someone like Lehkonen ou Evans (Or maybe Allen, which I would prefer not).

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Well, with the 3,5 milions we would open, I don't think we will be able to draft someone better than him for the 1st pair, so I would probably prefer to keep him, even if he is far from ideal on the 1st pair. I would probably go 4-4-1 and let Seattle take someone like Lehkonen ou Evans (Or maybe Allen, which I would prefer not).
It's not that hard to get a decent backup goaltender at $2.75M. We used to have a hard time at near minimum.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
I feel like MB will make Seattle an offer to take Drouin......could be pick(s) and/or prospect(s) to sweeten the deal but MB will definitely want his top 4 D back and he really needs to clear Drouin's cap hit.
The easier way to protect the TOP4 is to protect 4D
You can resign the Danault/Armia/Perry after the expansion draft
It’s easier to make a deal in order to keep a Evans/Lehkonen than make a deal for a #4D.

the value of bottom6F is less than #4D.

we could be surprise but I think there is more chances than not that we protect 4D.

but it’s obviously contingent that resigning Danault is after the draft.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Who will want Weber and is contract? How much would another team be willing to pay for Chariot at 50%. I agree that it probably won’t happen but Chariot is young cheap and playing better he is just a more valuable asset. If you aren’t willing to leave Weber unprotected you are negotiating against your self raising the price to keep player you need to protected…

Reactions: BaseballCoach

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
It's not that hard to get a decent backup goaltender at $2.75M. We used to have a hard time at near minimum.
That is why I would not pay them to not select him, but I would still prefer them to take Evans or Lehkonen. Not that I would be thrilled to lose them, but I think they are easier to replace

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That is why I would not pay them to not select him, but I would still prefer them to take Evans or Lehkonen. Not that I would be thrilled to lose them, but I think they are easier to replace
I don't agree. Evans and Lehkonen are both young enough that there is more upside to them, especially Evans at his low salary. And Lehkonen is one of the best penalty killers in the entire league. Not so easy to replace that high level specific skill, not to mention his overall adaptability.

I would be glad to pay Seattle Drouin to take Allen.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Not really difficult wich player is gonna be select. Ben Chiarot. GM are over valueing big physicall dman and big physicall powerforward. . main fact, they have a better market value cause they are more rare so the choice won’t gonna be tough for seattle. Chiarot is showing he can play on a top 4. He has a nice contract. Same thing happened with emelin in vegas

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Who will want Weber and is contract? How much would another team be willing to pay for Chariot at 50%. I agree that it probably won’t happen but Chariot is young cheap and playing better he is just a more valuable asset. If you aren’t willing to leave Weber unprotected you are negotiating against your self raising the price to keep player you need to protected…

Seattle would jump at the chance to take Weber. He has immediate name recognition for a new organization. You also have to consider the reputation Weber has around the league. Hell, that's one of the reasons Bergevin traded Subban for Weber in the first place.

I hope not. Leaving Drouin on LTIR is better than this.

This assumes he wants to stay on LTIR. If he just doesn't want to play for the Habs for whatever reason but wants to continue playing hockey, it'd be career suicide to just sit out his contract. He already tried that once in Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad