HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Seattle would jump at the chance to take Weber. He has immediate name recognition for a new organization. You also have to consider the reputation Weber has around the league. Hell, that's one of the reasons Bergevin traded Subban for Weber in the first place.

This assumes he wants to stay on LTIR. If he just doesn't want to play for the Habs for whatever reason but wants to continue playing hockey, it'd be career suicide to just sit out his contract. He already tried that once in Tampa.

How much can we get in return for Weber or how much to dump is contract? Is contract get advantageous for a cash poor team looking to reach the floor next year but that isn’t bringing back much value… Some team might want is name recognition but for a team looking to open a already tight cup window that contract and is play aren’t worth it… Protecting Weber should cost less than protecting Chariot.
If Seattle pick him up it open up clear possibility to go after Hamilton or Jones the following season both would be immediate upgrade.

Chris Guthro

Oct 7, 2018
I don't think he's been an essential part of our playoff success so far, and I think we could use the 5.5M in cap space to make us better than we are now.

But, of course I could be wrong. Maybe his hits make up for his lack of production and sound defensive zone coverage, making him worth the 5.5M cap hit he'll get for the next 7 years. Maybe we couldn't use that 5.5M in cap space in better ways.

Who in the hell are you getting for 5.5m to replace ANDERSON!!! The guy is a work horse who doesnt give up!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Who in the hell are you getting for 5.5m to replace ANDERSON!!! The guy is a work horse who doesnt give up!

He's been good the last few games, creating offense on counter strikes and with his hits.

You have to do a hell of a lot more than not give up to earn 5.5M on the cap. And he's been doing that, the past few games.

Chris Guthro

Oct 7, 2018
He's been good the last few games, creating offense on counter strikes and with his hits.

You have to do a hell of a lot more than not give up to earn 5.5M on the cap. And he's been doing that, the past few games.

Ive intentively watched him since the beginning! Hes hitting everything in sight, always first one on the forecheck. Just need to get bounces from time to time

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Drouin
First round pick 30th overall

Seattle skip on top 4

That would be equivalent to us trading a 1st for Chiarot. I love Chiarot but he only has one year left on his contract. We have 7 picks in rounds 2-4 that we could trade.

Also our 1st round pick will be #31. ;)

Reactions: WinterLion

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That would be equivalent to us trading a 1st for Chiarot. I love Chiarot but he only has one year left on his contract. We have 7 picks in rounds 2-4 that we could trade.

Not quite, it's a first round pick for Chiarot AND taking Drouin on.

They will not take Weber, this is easy.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ive intentively watched him since the beginning! Hes hitting everything in sight, always first one on the forecheck. Just need to get bounces from time to time

I agree the hitting has been good from the beginning of the playoffs. I have never questioned his hitting and work ethic, unlike some when he wasn't producing.

BUT, I do have question marks about his overall game. All his offense has come on quick strike counter attacks. his lack of ability to pass and receive a pass have killed a lot of offense for his linemates. I am, though, rooting for him though to show that his strengths exceed his weaknesses.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

It's not only trading the 30th/31st pick for Chiarot, it's also a massive 5.5M cap dump - having an extra 5.5M in cap space over the next two years in this covid cap era is worth the 30th pick alone, some would argue. And we should be in a good position to attract ufa's.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I don't agree. Evans and Lehkonen are both young enough that there is more upside to them, especially Evans at his low salary. And Lehkonen is one of the best penalty killers in the entire league. Not so easy to replace that high level specific skill, not to mention his overall adaptability.

I would be glad to pay Seattle Drouin to take Allen.

I mean, the only reason Lehkonen is playing right now is because of Evans' injury. I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to lose a player that would be sitting given a healthy lineup. Basically, if we lose Evans or Lehkonen, he would instantly be replaced by the other, lol. Of course keeping both for depth would be ideal.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
How much can we get in return for Weber or how much to dump is contract? Is contract get advantageous for a cash poor team looking to reach the floor next year but that isn’t bringing back much value… Some team might want is name recognition but for a team looking to open a already tight cup window that contract and is play aren’t worth it… Protecting Weber should cost less than protecting Chariot.
If Seattle pick him up it open up clear possibility to go after Hamilton or Jones the following season both would be immediate upgrade.

Jones is... questionable as an upgrade over Weber. Offensively? Absolutely. But Jones is seriously overrated defensively whereas Weber has shown to still be an absolute wall despite some gaffs here or there. With that said, you don't expose Weber in the hopes of signing Jones or Hamilton. You ink one of them first otherwise you could be left with nothing. We don't have any replacement for Weber if either FA opted not to sign with us.

Personally, if we did convince Hamilton to sign here. I think we'd be far better off keeping Weber because now he can be utilized in a much smaller role. Part of what slows Weber down at times is just how much we use him.

Reactions: pepperMonkey

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Jones is... questionable as an upgrade over Weber. Offensively? Absolutely. But Jones is seriously overrated defensively whereas Weber has shown to still be an absolute wall despite some gaffs here or there. With that said, you don't expose Weber in the hopes of signing Jones or Hamilton. You ink one of them first otherwise you could be left with nothing. We don't have any replacement for Weber if either FA opted not to sign with us.

Personally, if we did convince Hamilton to sign here. I think we'd be far better off keeping Weber because now he can be utilized in a much smaller role. Part of what slows Weber down at times is just how much we use him.

I agree that you need something in place before so you don’t end up empty handed…
But Petry as already surpassed Weber in the depth chart. Weber is still looking good but I think we under value Chariot contribution.

Hamilton or Jones are probably getting over 8M$ maybe 9M$, it will be hard to make the cap work with Weber on a 3rd pair making 7.8M$.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I mean, the only reason Lehkonen is playing right now is because of Evans' injury. I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to lose a player that would be sitting given a healthy lineup. Basically, if we lose Evans or Lehkonen, he would instantly be replaced by the other, lol. Of course keeping both for depth would be ideal.
I don't see it that way. Evans has to replace Staal next year. And we should keep the 25 year old Lehkonen with elite PK skills, enormous adaptability, and occasional offence.

There is no problem, Seattle is not taking Weber at $7.85M cap hit for 5 years, and on the 0.1% chance they crossed us up and did that, we'd have about $12.5M to replace him as a shutdown D in his latter years PLUS get a PMLD.

Suzuki2017

Jun 26, 2013
I think habs will protect 4 forwards and 4 defenseman.

Forwards protected will be Kotkaniemi, Anderson, Toffoli and Of course Gallagher.

But i would like to see à trade happening.

Seattle signs Danault 3x6m, then trades him to Montréal retaining 2m for habs 1rd pick, à prospect like Fairbrother and the kraken picks Evans. Something around those lines.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I think if the Habs protect 4 and 4, I see Seattle taking Evans over Drouin. They are on record saying they don't want to take on big salary.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...Chiarot has one year left on his deal, that's not worth protecting over a Lehkonen or an Evans, imo...finding a lefty PMD for Weber to play with is much more important...I honestly see Romanov as our Chiarot-replacement moving forward anyways, so let him grow on the 3rd pairing, leave our 2nd pairing just the way it is with Zombie Petry & Mr. Ed, and find a PMD to play with Weber in the offseason...Seattle can have one year or Chiarot if that's what they want...

WG

Sep 9, 2008
...Chiarot has one year left on his deal, that's not worth protecting over a Lehkonen or an Evans, imo...finding a lefty PMD for Weber to play with is much more important...I honestly see Romanov as our Chiarot-replacement moving forward anyways, so let him grow on the 3rd pairing, leave our 2nd pairing just the way it is with Zombie Petry & Mr. Ed, and find a PMD to play with Weber in the offseason...Seattle can have one year or Chiarot if that's what they want...
Yup. And in flat-cap world I don't think SAH defensemen will be breaking the bank, if Montreal wanted to recreate the Webrot dynamic, you could probably find an adequate replacement on a short deal at or below Chiarot's AAV if Seattle takes #8.

And then add a cheap stop gap veteran RD to pair with Romanov.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean, Bergevin kissed his head today. I'm sure he's at least going to make him an offer. What worries me is Seattle. I love him and Armia. They're a bigger part of the team success that some realize.

Price
Weber, Petry, Edmundson
Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, Danault, Evans. Then pick one of Lehkonen or Byron. Doubt Seattle takes one of them.

* Armia will be UFA and likely wants to come back. If not, he's not going to sign with Seattle without testing the market. They can interview him all they want. It has low probability.

* Chiarot or Allen are the threats to be taken.

* I'd dangle a 3rd or 2nd for them to take Drouin. That would be our best play. I'm a fan of Drouin but we don't have room for more soft wingers. He needs to be out west and with a fresh start. Seattle is a good spot and I think he still got good hockey in him left if he is committed but that is not likely to be in Montreal

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So...what do we do? lolll

You have to think that it will end up like this:

Price

Weber
Petry
Chiarot

Anderson
Toffoli
Kotkaniemi
Danault
Armia
Evans
Gallagher

I have Evans ahead of Lehkonen and Byron. But yeah, hopefully we find a way to send the Drouin. We have some picks to deal too.

Unless...you let Danault walk. And then add Lehkonen to the list.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think if the Habs protect 4 and 4, I see Seattle taking Evans over Drouin. They are on record saying they don't want to take on big salary.

But they still have to reach the floor. A Drouin rejuvenated away from the Montreal pressure and filled with pure talent is a great pick to reach the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad