HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Allen was fine until he went from backup to starter and had to play 18 games in 40 days.

As a backup - 11 games, he was 4-3-4 but only 1 game did he let in more then 3 goals.

April/May - 18 games, 7-9-1 but he let in more then 3 goals 4 times.

If they pick him it's because they want him to be the backup that can fill in if their starter gets injured. They have to pick 3 goalies, so we'll see what the list looks like but I have been willing to bet that Allen is going to be one of the best players on the list when it comes out.

With all the free agents this year just don't think they will value him. Seattle gets a 2 day window with UFAs, if they are able to sign a player then that becomes their pick from that team.

Plus, if they grab Chiarot, they can easily trade him to another team for draft picks. D have way more value than goalies.

Can see Chiarot getting them a 2nd & a 3rd despite having only one year left on his contract.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
1 G: Price

Expose: Allen ; Lindgren (UFA) ; McNiven (RFA)

1 D: Weber
2 D: Petry
3 D: Edmundson

Expose: Chiarot (UFA) ; Kulak ; Fleury (RFA)

1 F: Gallagher
2 F: Toffoli
3 F: Anderson
4 F: Danault
5 F: Kotkaniemi
6 F: Evans
7 F: Lehkonen

Expose: Byron ; Tatar (UFA) ; Drouin ; Armia (UFA) ; Perry (UFA) ; Staal (UFA)

If you go with the "they'll only take one guy" approach, then don't swing a deal and let Seattle take who they want, like Vegas simply took Emelin and Habs didn't have to give up any assets as a result.

But if you want to make sure you keep certain guys or you want to make sure that a specific player is taken, then Habs do have assets they can give in a trade (picks and prospects).

I was initially part of the crowd that thought to let them take anyone they want that you expose and be done with it. But now I'm more open with Habs using assets to make a deal if it is the right thing to do.

I swap Danault with Armia - but I unpopularly let Danault and Tatar walk this Summer.
In D is where I'm conflicted. Is Fleury at risk of being taken, how did he look in the past 2 years? Is it worth the risk of losing Weber for him? I feel like THAT's reaching too much for youth talent though.

I'm good with exposing Chiarot since he's good defensively but not anything special.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
G: Price

D: Weber
D: Petry
D: Edmundson

F: Gallagher
F: Toffoli
F: Anderson
F: Danault (re-sign)
F: Kotkaniemi
F: Evans (I'm sure Seattle might be interested in C)
F: Drouin (depending on how his value/situation), otherwise Lehkonen or a re-signed Perry

Seattle will probably pick between Allen, Chiarot, Lehkonen. Armia/Tatar if they can get a contract with them.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With all the free agents this year just don't think they will value him. Seattle gets a 2 day window with UFAs, if they are able to sign a player then that becomes their pick from that team.

Plus, if they grab Chiarot, they can easily trade him to another team for draft picks. D have way more value than goalies.

Can see Chiarot getting them a 2nd & a 3rd despite having only one year left on his contract.

Even if they sign a UFA goalie, they still have to pick 3 goalies out of the 30 picks unless one of them is a UFA. They could grab Chiarot for sure but if the list for goalies is as bad as it looks like it will be, Allen should make more sense imo. We'll see when the list is out though how things will start to shape up.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Even if they sign a UFA goalie, they still have to pick 3 goalies out of the 30 picks unless one of them is a UFA. They could grab Chiarot for sure but if the list for goalies is as bad as it looks like it will be, Allen should make more sense imo. We'll see when the list is out though how things will start to shape up.

If they sign a UFA goalie during their 2 day window that counts as a pick. They would only need to pick 2 more goalies.

I expect they sign one, draft a backup and draft someone they can put on their farm team.

Goalies they could sign:

Frederik Andersen
Philip Grubauer
Jonathan Bernier
Linus Ullmark
Petr Mrazek
Chris Driedger

So, you sign one of them.

Draft one of the Columbus Blue Jackets goalies, as a backup, whichever one they don't protect.

Then draft someone you expect to play in AHL.

I just think if it's Chiarot vs Allen. We lose Chiarot.

If it's Weber vs Allen. Don't know. 50/50.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If they sign a UFA goalie during their 2 day window that counts as a pick. They would only need to pick 2 more goalies.

I expect they sign one, draft a backup and draft someone they can put on their farm team.

Goalies they could sign:

Frederik Andersen
Philip Grubauer
Jonathan Bernier
Linus Ullmark
Petr Mrazek
Chris Driedger

So, you sign one of them.

Draft one of the Columbus Blue Jackets goalies, as a backup, whichever one they don't protect.

Then draft someone you expect to play in AHL.

I just think if it's Chiarot vs Allen. We lose Chiarot.

If it's Weber vs Allen. Don't know. 50/50.

I doubt they will expose Weber. I would be ok if it was Chiarot over Allen as we haven't had a good backup for several years now and Allen seems to be a real good fit with Price as long as Price can stay healthy enough to get in 40-45 games next year to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I try to make a deal with Seattle to keep me he big 4.

Give them a second round pick to select Drouin.

Reactions: BLONG7

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I swap Danault with Armia - but I unpopularly let Danault and Tatar walk this Summer.
In D is where I'm conflicted. Is Fleury at risk of being taken, how did he look in the past 2 years? Is it worth the risk of losing Weber for him? I feel like THAT's reaching too much for youth talent though.

I'm good with exposing Chiarot since he's good defensively but not anything special.
Why protect ufas , Tatar Armia and Danault should not be protected. Man Armia is a 30 points scorer dude will ask 3m+. He's easy to replace on a 3rd line

Reactions: abo9
Apr 28, 2010
I think it’s best for all parties to get Seattle to take Drouin.

- opens up cap space for us
- Seattle gets a top-6, skilled forward right away for free
- Drouin can get a fresh start in a smaller market that hopefully helps him out

I think Drouin would fit in more with teams like Detroit, Dallas or any California teams where there's not much pressure to play in.

In Seattle, there will be many expectations to do well right away, thanks to Vegas making it to the finals in their first season. All eyes will be on them (esp the media) and I don't think that's the right environment for someone like JD.

Reactions: Walrus26

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Why protect ufas , Tatar Armia and Danault should not be protected. Man Armia is a 30 points scorer dude will ask 3m+. He's easy to replace on a 3rd line

fair enough
I like Armia's game for a 3rd/4th line, obviously depends how much he wants.

I think Seattle picks Drouin anyways if he's good to p'ay with them (mentally I mean).

Reactions: tazsub3

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
G: Price

D: Weber
D: Petry
D: Edmundson

F: Gallagher
F: Toffoli
F: Anderson
F: Danault (re-sign)
F: Kotkaniemi
F: Evans (I'm sure Seattle might be interested in C)
F: Drouin (depending on how his value/situation), otherwise Lehkonen or a re-signed Perry

Seattle will probably pick between Allen, Chiarot, Lehkonen. Armia/Tatar if they can get a contract with them.
Weber gets exposed, not Chiarot. Force Seattle to take a 7.8 mil contract

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Probably safe to say that the silly notion that Allen was the obvious choice has been exposed at this point.

Allen is a bad starter and a good back up, No way Seattle would pass on either of Chiarot or Edmundson in order to acquire a back up caliber goaltender.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I think it’s best for all parties to get Seattle to take Drouin.

- opens up cap space for us
- Seattle gets a top-6, skilled forward right away for free
- Drouin can get a fresh start in a smaller market that hopefully helps him out

Would be absolutely great to liberate that cash, bigtime
Hope it happens
If they take Chiarot or allen instead, that's fine too

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Probably safe to say that the silly notion that Allen was the obvious choice has been exposed at this point.

Allen is a bad starter and a good back up, No way Seattle would pass on either of Chiarot or Edmundson in order to acquire a back up caliber goaltender.

it's not silly at all, they wouldn't be picking Allen to be the starter but a good backup. No way do I see Edmundson getting exposed, Chiarot we'll see as they might just go 8FD 1G instead of the 7F, 3D, 1G

Reactions: SpezNc2

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I cannot see Bergevin doing that. Weber is his guy.
You will be surprised how many large contracts around the league are not protected. You can't lose an expensive serviceable Dman like Chiarot for nothing. Weber won't get picked

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
it's not silly at all, they wouldn't be picking Allen to be the starter but a good backup. No way do I see Edmundson getting exposed, Chiarot we'll see as they might just go 8FD 1G instead of the 7F, 3D, 1G

Goalies are the least valuable commodity in this scenario as they typically don't hold much trade value. Seattle would be outright foolish to take Allen over a proven top 4 dman.

I know there are people here who don't like Chiarot but they are clueless and are not anywhere near the level of professional hockey minds. Backup goaltenders are the least valuable roster players as they typically don't even play in over 70 percent of your games and don't play at all in the playoffs. Seattle will target a goaltender with better starter potential and will likely pick younger, higher upside players as potential backups.

I suppose if MB works out a deal for Seattle to take Allen over Chiarot/Edmundson, Allen could be picked but I could also see them taking Evans if unprotected or even Drouin as a higher upside pick.

An unprotected Evans was a no brainer prior to the latest concussion......hopefully he recovers quickly and returns to the form that he has been displaying.

I really don't understand why anyone would think that Allen as an overpaid backup would be very enticing to Seattle. I guarantee you that filling the backup goaltender spot is at best the 20th spot they will look to fill and quite likely even lower as it is more important to take homerun swings on as many skaters as possible.

Just to be clear, I do like Allen as Price's backup but would love Seattle to take his salary off of our hands........just don't think that happens without a side deal.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Goalies are the least valuable commodity in this scenario as they typically don't hold much trade value. Seattle would be outright foolish to take Allen over a proven top 4 dman.

I know there are people here who don't like Chiarot but they are clueless and are not anywhere near the level of professional hockey minds. Backup goaltenders are the least valuable roster players as they typically don't even play in over 70 percent of your games and don't play at all in the playoffs. Seattle will target a goaltender with better starter potential and will likely pick younger, higher upside players as potential backups.

I suppose if MB works out a deal for Seattle to take Allen over Chiarot/Edmundson, Allen could be picked but I could also see them taking Evans if unprotected or even Drouin as a higher upside pick.

An unprotected Evans was a no brainer prior to the latest concussion......hopefully he recovers quickly and returns to the form that he has been displaying.

I really don't understand why anyone would think that Allen as an overpaid backup would be very enticing to Seattle. I guarantee you that filling the backup goaltender spot is at best the 20th spot they will look to fill and quite likely even lower as it is more important to take homerun swings on as many skaters as possible.

Just to be clear, I do like Allen as Price's backup but would love Seattle to take his salary off of our hands........just don't think that happens without a side deal.

They still have to pick 3 goalies and Allen could be one of the best depending on the final list. Allen's 2.875M cap hit isn't bad at all for a backup imo.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If you can’t trade Weber you need to expose him... we need 7m$ to go after Hamilton.

KK
Gallagher
Toffoli
Anderson
Evans
Drouin
Armia or Danault

Petry
Chariot
Edmundson

Price

Status