HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
What about the 8 skater rule?
Anderson, Kotkaniemi, Toffolli, Gallagher, Edmonson, Weber, Petry and Chariot with Price

Expose Allen, Byron, Lehkonen, Kulak, Drouin

Does Suzuki need to be protected?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Anderson, Kotkaniemi, Toffolli, Gallagher, Edmonson, Weber, Petry and Chariot with Price

No, but I don't want to expose Evans, but I can see it going this way.

With the derth of centers available, I can see Evans getting picked if he's available.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
As much as I like Chiarot, he's the most logical choice. The regular season has demonstrated that Weber absolutely needs a mobile, puck-moving partner if we are to get the best out of him for two more seasons when he earns real money. We also need a safety pillow for Petry, who's not getting any younger. An injury to him and we're cooked. A top-3 PMD is a #1 priority this off-season.

Also, Chiarot is signed for one more season and we can hardly afford to pay him more for what he brings. His pairing with Weber is effective in the playoffs, but you need to qualify first which will be more difficult next year.

The physical dimension lost with Chiarot could be partly compensated by signing a similar type of player (albeit of lower quality) for the 3rd pairing to play with Romanov.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whalers Fan

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

This would expose Evans, which would be a big mistake. There will be few options at that position for Seattle to choose from, and Evans has developed well this season. He would be a young, cost controlled 3C for the Kraken, which will be tougher to find than a goalie like Allen.

Reactions: NA Scouting

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
All of the teams who made out the worst in the Vegas expansion draft were teams who paid them to take other players.

Anaheim traded them Shea Theodore to protect Josh Manson.
Columbus paid a 1st, 2nd for Vegas to take Clarkson and to select William Karlsson.
Florida paid Marchessault and Smith to keep some plug ass defenseman who they had playing forward.
Minnesota paid Alex Tuch to protect their players and lose Erik Haula.

Lmao @ all of this wow , teams really screwed the pooch on those ones holy shit

And I agree, let em take one of Chiarot or Allen, really not the end of the world and we can totally manage and use that ~3mill way better

Reactions: WeThreeKings

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think so. There are a lot of goalies available via free agency this year. Allen did not have a good 2nd half. I think they take D (Chiarot) or Evans if he is exposed.

Allen was fine until he went from backup to starter and had to play 18 games in 40 days.

As a backup - 11 games, he was 4-3-4 but only 1 game did he let in more then 3 goals.

April/May - 18 games, 7-9-1 but he let in more then 3 goals 4 times.

If they pick him it's because they want him to be the backup that can fill in if their starter gets injured. They have to pick 3 goalies, so we'll see what the list looks like but I have been willing to bet that Allen is going to be one of the best players on the list when it comes out.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If the kid is healthy and don't see signs of being more concussion prone....I'm protecting Evans WAY ahead of Chiarot and Edmundson.

And how about....not protecting Gallagher? What a few goals in the playoffs does to evaluations...

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
If the kid is healthy and don't see signs of being more concussion prone....I'm protecting Evans WAY ahead of Chiarot and Edmundson.

And how about....not protecting Gallagher? What a few goals in the playoffs does to evaluations...
You do have to wonder about when Gally's body will REALLY start breaking down and how long he has left before it happens. It feels kinda inevitable that it will by the time he's 31-32-ish, which is creeping up slowly but surely. He'll be a 10 year vet next season I believe and those count double on a guy like him.

Last edited:

Zxlime

Feb 26, 2012

You are forced to protect Gallagher because of his no movement close. Same for Petry and Price

Reactions: CoopersFalls

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
1 G: Price

Expose: Allen ; Lindgren (UFA) ; McNiven (RFA)

1 D: Weber
2 D: Petry
3 D: Edmundson

Expose: Chiarot (UFA) ; Kulak ; Fleury (RFA)

1 F: Gallagher
2 F: Toffoli
3 F: Anderson
4 F: Danault
5 F: Kotkaniemi
6 F: Evans
7 F: Lehkonen

Expose: Byron ; Tatar (UFA) ; Drouin ; Armia (UFA) ; Perry (UFA) ; Staal (UFA)

If you go with the "they'll only take one guy" approach, then don't swing a deal and let Seattle take who they want, like Vegas simply took Emelin and Habs didn't have to give up any assets as a result.

But if you want to make sure you keep certain guys or you want to make sure that a specific player is taken, then Habs do have assets they can give in a trade (picks and prospects).

I was initially part of the crowd that thought to let them take anyone they want that you expose and be done with it. But now I'm more open with Habs using assets to make a deal if it is the right thing to do.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

If you go with the "they'll only take one guy" approach, then don't swing a deal and let Seattle take who they want, like Vegas simply took Emelin and Habs didn't have to give up any assets as a result.

But if you want to make sure you keep certain guys or you want to make sure that a specific player is taken, then Habs do have assets they can give in a trade (picks and prospects).

I was initially part of the crowd that thought to let them take anyone they want that you expose and be done with it. But now I'm more open with Habs using assets to make a deal if it is the right thing to do.
It all comes down to how bad we want to keep Allen I guess. If we feel like we can replace him internally without suffering too much as a result then we can keep all our picks and let Seattle take him, which I assume they will without hesitation.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Allen picked 190%

I believe so as well. 2 years at a great AAV and they could get someone else where they share the starts. However, they might look at the long term control they would have on Evans. Even if he is a bottom 6F.

Id go with this:
Price

Petry
Weber (I would entertain exposing him though)
Edmundson or Chiarot. I have a hard time picking between the two.
* I would seriously consider exposing Weber and protecting Edmundson and Chiarot. Ripple effects cause he is our captain and he will be disgruntled about it but it might be our best play.

Gallagher
Toffoli
Anderson
Kotkaniemi
Danault
Lehkonen
Evans

Exposed: Allen, Drouin, Armia, Tatar, Byron, Kulak, Fleury. Not sure who I am forgetting that's worth mentioning

Are we ever lucky Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov, Primeau, Poehling, are exempt

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Zxlime

Feb 26, 2012
Here is my Take;

Forwards
1) Gallagher (Forced protection)
2) Kotkaniemi
3) Tofoli
4) Anderson
5) Danault (Contract extension)
6) Armia (Contract extension)
7) Evans

(if his latest concussion to the hands of Sheifele is the last straw for him, then protect Lekhonen instead. However I don't think we'll know enough about the fallout of his concussions in time for the entry draft, so i'd go with Evans, knowing that he might end up not playing or coming back a different player)

Defensemen
1) Petry
2) Chiarot
3) Edmonson

Goaltender
1) Price

Noteworthy unprotected players
Note: Rule states the need to expose at least 2 forwards and 1 defensemen that are still under contract for the 21-22 season

1) Drouin:
His extended leave of absence makes him incredibly risky to draft. That grants him a sort of protection on its own. If he does not get picked up, we cross our fingers that he can return in force next season or be flipped for assests/RFA extensions/etc.
2) Weber:
Age 36 with 5 years remaining at 8M per. I think that is deterrant enough for him to be relatively safe. If he does get picked up, it leaves a massive gap on the D core for the next 2 years that will need to be immediately fixed (i.e. Seth Jones?), but if that happens, you just saved 8M$ to address that. While this may hurt short term, it does allow us to dodge the bullet of having a 40 year old past-his-prime Defensemen eating 10% of your cap space in 4 years. Would Francis decide to overlook the time bomb to make Weber the team's first captain?
3) Byron:
Love the guy, but can't really justify protecting him, especially with his cap hit. Would love him to stay as you can plug him on most lines in a pinch for short amount of times for added speed. He's had great playoffs so far.
4) Lekhonen: (Not contracted next year)
Love the guy as well, but him and Armia fill similar shoes. I actually think you can swap Armia with Lekhonen on my protection list. Just depends on if you prefer speed or strong board play. At the end of the day, we need offensive output, so while a team of Armias and Lekhonen is serviceable, you don't need 12 of them.
4) Kulak:
Great 3rd pairing guy. Nothing spectacular, I doubt he gets picked. If he does well we have other young D's coming up.
5) Allen:
The guy was likely extended to make him attractive for the draft. Odds of him being one of the 3 Kraken goalies are high, I think.
6)Tatar:
He's not getting re-signed after being benched in favor of Evans. Good guy, but too much of a perimeter player for the team make-up.

With this setup I think the most likely scenario is that Allen gets picked up. It does require the ballsy move of not protecting Weber, though. If Bergevin does not do so, we will loose one of Chiarot or Edmonson.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
It could be intelligent to left expose Weber, but I see 0% chance of the management doing it.

it will be 99% this .
So Seattle will have to choose between Allen, Chariot and Drouin (not really lol)

And Bergevin is intelligent with picks; he won’t give any. My 2 cents

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Are we ever lucky Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov, Primeau, Poehling, are exempt

Yes, they are exempt.

Here is the full list of players exempt:

- Poehling
- Ylonen
- Caufield
- Suzuki
- Romanov
- Ylonen
- Teasdale
- Hillis
- Belzile
- Mysak
- Brook
- Leskinen
- Khisamutdinov
- RHP
- Fairbrother
- Guhle
- Norlinder
- Schueneman
- Demchenko
- Lucchini

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
As much as Allen has had a good season for us and is a useful guy to have on our team, realistically we can replace him pretty easy. I'd hate to lose him but it could be a lot worst. Primeau is going to have to get a real chance at some point and there's no better, lower stress way to start than as a backup. Plus he's cheap.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Exposing Weber makes sense as he really struggled this season and is going to be 36 next season.

His ppg went from,

'15-'16 - .65 (last year with Nash)
'16-'17 - .54
'17-'18 - .62 (0nly 26 games)
'18-'19 - .57 (58 games)
'19-'20 - .55 (65 games)
'20-'21 - .4 (48 games)

he's missed 98 games with us out of 373 possible, but just 14 games over the last 2 seasons out of 127.

So what management needs to do is figure out how much he's worth to us vs his 7.857142M cap hit. Injuries have been a problem for him, he looked slow this year but it was a terrible schedule. Was his drop in ppg from last year (in 17 less games) more due to the schedule and how a player his age that was never quick to begin with and with so many miles on his body, or at 35, 36, 37, etc.. is the natural decline for a player his age starting to pick up steam.

He brings leadership, toughness, solid D but he's overused on the PP and at his age you would expect the injuries to continue to some degree.

That said, if he can get his ppg back to around .5 that's a 40 pt blueliner and those pts will not be easy to replace since attracting UFA's is not easy for us (though a good playoff run could help that)

All vs Chiarot who will be 30 all next season, has a 3.5M cap hit but with only 1 year left. So then the question would be, do they think it's better to get cap space and lose some leadership and offense from Weber or do they think Romanov would be ready to step in and take over for Chiarot if he were to be picked.

As much as Allen has had a good season for us and is a useful guy to have on our team, realistically we can replace him pretty easy. I'd hate to lose him but it could be a lot worst. Primeau is going to have to get a real chance at some point and there's no better, lower stress way to start than as a backup. Plus he's cheap.

I don't think they would turn it over to Primeau next year to backup Price. I would think the plan will be for Primeau to get a lot of starts in Laval and to have McNiven back him up.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

I'm not too keen on paying Seattle anything, but we have to consider if we're going to to be able to find a goalie comparable to Allen at the same price. We can hardly afford to pay more to our goalies if we wish to remodel our blueline and replace the wingers that are not coming back.

BTW, if no one is willing to trade for Drouin, then your list is exactly what I would do at the expansion draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad