HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Weber to Nashville should be an easy trade, that way they avoid the cap recapture penalty (worst case scenario for them).

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
We'll have to see what the final rosters are, but I think it will be very hard for Seattle to replicate Vegas's success and be a good team right off the bat. It's far more likely that they will be bad and have to build through the draft. So it's probably going to make more sense for them to take a young player with some potential or someone they can turn around and trade for prospects/picks.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Goalies are the least valuable commodity in this scenario as they typically don't hold much trade value. Seattle would be outright foolish to take Allen over a proven top 4 dman.

I know there are people here who don't like Chiarot but they are clueless and are not anywhere near the level of professional hockey minds. Backup goaltenders are the least valuable roster players as they typically don't even play in over 70 percent of your games and don't play at all in the playoffs. Seattle will target a goaltender with better starter potential and will likely pick younger, higher upside players as potential backups.

I suppose if MB works out a deal for Seattle to take Allen over Chiarot/Edmundson, Allen could be picked but I could also see them taking Evans if unprotected or even Drouin as a higher upside pick.

An unprotected Evans was a no brainer prior to the latest concussion......hopefully he recovers quickly and returns to the form that he has been displaying.

I really don't understand why anyone would think that Allen as an overpaid backup would be very enticing to Seattle. I guarantee you that filling the backup goaltender spot is at best the 20th spot they will look to fill and quite likely even lower as it is more important to take homerun swings on as many skaters as possible.

Just to be clear, I do like Allen as Price's backup but would love Seattle to take his salary off of our hands........just don't think that happens without a side deal.
Agree with all the premises, but disagree on the conclusions. I positively HOPE Seattle will take Chiarot, despite liking the player very much. I just don't believe Chiarot-Weber can work in the regular season and think it's essential to make room for a PMD. Being effective in the playoffs is of no use if you fail to qualify.

I don't agree Allen is overpaid next season. We can hardly hope for a better backup for Price at a lower cap hit.

Of course, the best scenario would be for Seattle to take Drouin. We could then sell Chiarot at a profit, or keep him if a PMD is out of our reach.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Agree with all the premises, but disagree on the conclusions. I positively HOPE Seattle will take Chiarot, despite liking the player very much. I just don't believe Chiarot-Weber can work in the regular season and think it's essential to make room for a PMD.

I don't agree Allen is overpaid next season. We can hardly hope for a better backup for Price at a lower cap hit.

Of course, the best scenario would be for Seattle to take Drouin. We could then sell Chiarot at a profit, or keep him if a PMD is out of our reach.
Allen is paid 2.875m next season while we have 4th liner Byron at 3.4m and we are close to extend a 4th liner in Armia at 3m a season. I think Allen contract is not the problem at all.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
You will be surprised how many large contracts around the league are not protected. You can't lose an expensive serviceable Dman like Chiarot for nothing. Weber won't get picked
My statement has nothing to do with whether Weber would be selected. I just don't think Bergevin will expose his guy. Whether that is a good decision is another matter.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
With recent moves and team performances what has changed?

Merrill and Gustafsson are both UFAs. We don't have to worry about them for the expansion draft. And Mete is gone

It's still a bit of a puzzle on defense. Weber and Petry should be protected, of course, but what about the 3rd man? Edmundson, Kulak and Chiarot could have the spot, but a youngster like Cale Fleury could be worth protecting.

Up front there's Tatar, Armia and Danault as UFAs. Lehkonen is playing himself off from protection. So you're left with Drouin-KK-Anderson-Gallagher-Toffoli-Evans. There is a 7th spot available. I'm thinking it could go to Tatar or Danault if they re-sign before the draft.

Available would be:
Byron
Lehkonen
3 of Edmundson/Chiarot/Kulak/Fleury
Allen

As if they'll protect Drouin after his meltdown

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
As if they'll protect Drouin after his meltdown
I sure hope not. I find this Drouin situation really odd. Why all the mystery surrounding his absence from the team? The majority of his teammates are playing hurt. If he was physically hurt I think he'd still be playing. If it was a family issue I don't think they'd keep it from the fans. We all see how close this team is and how they're playing for each other you would think Drouin would want to be a part of that.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
My view of this is that MB told JD that he is not welcome anymore due to poor performances. The leadership of the team (Weber, Price, etc...) is on board with this. He was told that he would be traded or bought off during the summer.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Probably safe to say that the silly notion that Allen was the obvious choice has been exposed at this point.

Allen is a bad starter and a good back up, No way Seattle would pass on either of Chiarot or Edmundson in order to acquire a back up caliber goaltender.

If we think we can re-sign Phil after the draft, we may protect 4 d. That would mean losing Evan's or Allen.

Or, we could trade one of Eddy or Chiarot and protect 7 forwards. That would mean the best players left unprotected would be Lehk, Drouin, Fleury, and Allen. A great backup is still very important. Gets you points in the regular season and keeps your number 1 fresh for the playoffs, as we're benefiting from now.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I sure hope not. I find this Drouin situation really odd. Why all the mystery surrounding his absence from the team? The majority of his teammates are playing hurt. If he was physically hurt I think he'd still be playing. If it was a family issue I don't think they'd keep it from the fans. We all see how close this team is and how they're playing for each other you would think Drouin would want to be a part of that.

He is suffering from an undisclosed acute form of mental illness........there is no mystery in that regard and there is no point in speculating in what fans think is or is not in the best interest of his mental health.

There is no conversation to be had on this issue other than unmitigated support for his well being and privacy.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I think it comes down to would you rather lose Evans or Chiarot. Chiarot is incredibly important no matter what people want to say, but he only has 1 year left on his deal. Evans has major concussion issues now but he is still a young promising player.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If you can’t trade Weber you need to expose him... we need 7m$ to go after Hamilton.

KK
Gallagher
Toffoli
Anderson
Evans
Drouin
Armia or Danault

Petry
Chariot
Edmundson

Price

We're definitely not protecting Drouin. I can see both Armia and Danault protected.

Drouin, Byron & Lehkonen will be left unprotected.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Defensemen:
I protect : Petry, Edmunsson, Chiarot
Unprotected : Weber, Kulak
Automaticly protected : Romanov

Goalie
I protect : Price
Unprotected : Allen

Forwards:
I protect : Gallagher, Toffoli, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Anderson, Evans, Lehkonen
Unprotected: Drouin, byron and the ufas.
Automaticly protected: Caufield

so in the end they can choose between : Drouin, Byron, Allen and Weber.

weber could declare that if hes picked up he will retire.

they would go with Drouin.

Reactions: BarracudaMtl

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
We're definitely not protecting Drouin. I can see both Armia and Danault protected.

Drouin, Byron & Lehkonen will be left unprotected.
It always depend if Armia and Danault want to resign or how much they are asking...
I think you kinda have to protect one of Drouin or Lehkonen, since you can’t lose Tatar (UFA), Lehkonen (expension draft) and Drouin (retire) in one off season with nothing in place to replace them. That would be like the last expension draft were we lost our top 4 LD in one of season...

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
My view of this is that MB told JD that he is not welcome anymore due to poor performances. The leadership of the team (Weber, Price, etc...) is on board with this. He was told that he would be traded or bought off during the summer.

If this is your view then you need to get your eyes checked.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Weber to Nashville should be an easy trade, that way they avoid the cap recapture penalty (worst case scenario for them).

They only face recapture if Weber retire, and Weber has nothing to gain from retiring when he can collect all is money on LTIR. Montreal or a other team that is stuck with the cap can’t force him to retire they will move him to LTIR... Nashville can just sit back no reason to waste assets to try to control a situation you have no control on or that the best outcome will happen by doing nothing...

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Defensemen:
I protect : Petry, Edmunsson, Chiarot
Unprotected : Weber, Kulak
Automaticly protected : Romanov

Goalie
I protect : Price
Unprotected : Allen

Forwards:
I protect : Gallagher, Toffoli, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Anderson, Evans, Lehkonen
Unprotected: Drouin, byron and the ufas.
Automaticly protected: Caufield

so in the end they can choose between : Drouin, Byron, Allen and Weber.

weber could declare that if hes picked up he will retire.

they would go with Drouin.
Suzuki does not need to be protected. He is exempt.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The fact they wont be protecting Drouin anymore is definitely an interesting turn of events

Really wonder if Seattle would go for it, would be great for us cap wise

Angler

Apr 23, 2017
The fact they wont be protecting Drouin anymore is definitely an interesting turn of events

I would offer a pick if they took him.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

It would certainly be a "swing for the fences" pick. Since the other options that will be exposed by the Habs will not be very exciting, they just may go for Drouin.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Has that even been confirmed by the team or Drouin that this is a mental health issue?

He is suffering from an undisclosed acute form of mental illness........there is no mystery in that regard and there is no point in speculating in what fans think is or is not in the best interest of his mental health.

There is no conversation to be had on this issue other than unmitigated support for his well being and privacy.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Those are the rankings based on Tatar's playoffs and Anderson's regular season.

If we rank the players based on the playoffs, Tatar is at the bottom of the players that have been in the lineup and Anderson is just above him.

Also, I have Evan's ahead of Byron and probably Lehkonen. Really hope we can give Seattle a pick to take Drouin so we don't lose those guys or Chiarot.
Evans, Lehkonen and Chiarot should all be protected. Byron and Weber won't be taken with their contracts.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->