HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Montreal chose to have crap backups. You also have to consider organizations like Carolina, Columbus, Nashville and a few others had 3-5 NHL-caliber goalies on their rosters in recent years. This past summer starting goalies had to settle for 2-3 mil show me deals because nobody was looking.
Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Take a gander: Literally dozens of quality goalies hitting UFA this summer. I'd count about 10 mid-low range starters in the pile. Certainly over a dozen guys I would consider backups on par or better than Allen.
Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Next year isn't bad either..

Vegas took what 1 UFA in the last expansion draft, so we'll see if that changes but Allen is a very solid backup when not asked to play so many games in so little time.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
We need to protect this kid from Seattle. He's way better than Lehkonen and Drouin.
I'm a huge Lehkonen fan, but on contract and position alone you protect Evans first. Although, unless I'm mistaken, I think we can protect both?

Anderson, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Evans, Kotkaniemi, Toffoli.

You have Armia, Tatar, and Danault... but we'll see if they resign and their contracts.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I'm a huge Lehkonen fan, but on contract and position alone you protect Evans first. Although, unless I'm mistaken, I think we can protect both?

Anderson, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Evans, Kotkaniemi, Toffoli.

You have Armia, Tatar, and Danault... but we'll see if they resign and their contracts.

Also depends on Drouin, do you protect him ? I think so, just because he still holds some value, right ?

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
With the playoff that Evans is having it's going to be hard not to protect him in the expansion Draft

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I've been saying since early in the season that Seattle would grab Evans over Allen and I still stick with that. This guy is a player.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Because if you sign him for top 6 money , you kinda leave KK hanging. Tatar will most likely not coming back. Poehling and Evans should have roles next season. They might move Caufield to the left with Toffoli.

We all know that if Danault extend in Montreal that he will get Gallagher until Gallagher is finished. I really hope a team like Columbus and Seattle pitch him top 6 salary. I think he could fit in Seattle as new opportunity. He also expressed that the media on Drouin did him some things also. Wouldn't surprise me if he just left the org neither. This is not going nowhere and our #1 d-man and goalie are on the heavy decline. Not sure if Danault will win a cup in Montreal.

Danault wil' never win a cup
Here's my hot take for the day

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
I've been saying since early in the season that Seattle would grab Evans over Allen and I still stick with that. This guy is a player.
They won’t, because he is gonna be protected

danault (with new deal)
Gallagher
Lehkonen
Kk
Toffoli
Anderson
Evans

Reactions: Trash Man

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I am guessing Lehkonen would be one of the 7 forwards we protect, but I wonder if we can make a deal with Seattle for them to take him instead of taking Allen.

I love Lehkonen, but we need to stop spending so much on our bottom six. He's still fairly young and works his ass off, so he could be appealing to a new franchise like Seattle. Poehling could be ready for a full time spot and hopefully Perry is brought back.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
I like Lehkonen but he's wholly replaceable imo.
True but the thing is he’s a home grown talent, Habs have been terrible in keeping their own draft picks. I’d like for them to do a better job at that. That being said, if by all objective measures, there are better options then sure, replace him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
May not want to risk not signing him before. Seattle would have an exclusive window to negotiate with him if you don't protect him.
You have alot of guys ready or knocking on the door. Poehling makes the team next year and you have Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Evans. You can't keep them all.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
May not want to risk not signing him before. Seattle would have an exclusive window to negotiate with him if you don't protect him.
Thats fair, it’ll be up to Seattle to decide if the chance of signing Danault is worth the risk missing out on a signed player

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Thats fair, it’ll be up to Seattle to decide if the chance of signing Danault is worth the risk missing out on a signed player

plus, even if they don't select him, they have the right to talk to UFA's for something like 3 days before the expansion draft that other teams don't have.

Reactions: Doc5

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I like Lehkonen but he's wholly replaceable imo.

Lehkonen is solid but not at his current salary obviously. If he agrees to come back at around 1.5 or 1.75 for 2-3 years you sign him. No point in replacing him. He's a solid young bottom-6 guy that we've groomed and obviously fits in well with our current team. No reason at all to replace him unless Seattle takes him (or unless he doesn't want a pay reduction which would surprise me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad