OT: Everything COVID19 - PART 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-covid-statistics-september-17-1.5727727

Ontario rolling back numbers in gatherings effecting Ottawa, Peel, Toronto

Of the more than 2,300 currently active cases in Ontario:
  • The suspected method of exposure for 54 per cent of cases is either unknown, missing or labelled as "no epidemiological link," which means the novel coronavirus is being spread in the community.
  • More than one-third of active cases are among people in their 20s, even though that age group makes up only 14 per cent of the province's population.
  • More than half of active cases are in just two public health units — Toronto and Peel region.

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Just take your gathering to a restaurant
If this is a loophole anyone would use, they're an asshole for doing it. And while I'm sure there was no ill intent on your part, posting something like this can give those pre-disposed to assholeish tendencies ideas about how to get around the tightened regulations.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
If this is a loophole anyone would use, they're an asshole for doing it. And while I'm sure there was no ill intent on your part, posting something like this can give those pre-disposed to assholeish tendencies ideas about how to get around the tightened regulations.

Making these sort of suggestions is a good way to get the restrictions on restaurants tightened up.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I'm not convinced this is a second wave. The areas being hit hard right now are just geographically different than the original places. I view this as spread otherwise we would seeing huge spikes in the areas previous hit hard. Until all regions experience their spike I cannot see this tailing off. If you look at the numbers the areas originally hit hard (NY and NJ come to mind) are not getting a second spike in cases, it worked it's way through the population.

I would be interested in seeing real data of areas that had substantial initial spikes where a second one is occurring.

I was just in NJ and NYC a bit over a week ago, it’s definitely different than over here. I think a reason they haven’t got a second spike yet is because only last Friday (NJ) they opened most stuff back to “normal” (sitting inside to eat, hair salons etc) NYC is still much quieter on busses and subways than normal. A very noticeable difference. Perhaps everyone is still not back to work there? Not sure. But masks are mandatory everywhere as well as social distancing, they are doing a good job there but I think there will be a spike there again since a lot seems to be reopening and I’m sure more people will start to come back out.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Wear a mask, take Vitamin D and hope for the best. I have been hearing that people that contract Covid while wearing a mask have reduced symptoms. A lower inoculum. Think of it as a super crude form of vaccine. A vaccine is basically like getting a super weak version of the disease (or it used to be anyways), so it has some logic to it.

Anyways, that is what I am doing.

Studies have demonstrated that wearing a mask reduces the severity of the virus. Guess it's one of those things that the worse exposure you have the more likely you are (excluding demographics) to have a more severe version.

R2010

May 23, 2011
How are we closer to a vaccine at this point than we are to super-rapid, efficient, accurate testing?

I went to get tested 10 days ago because I had a cough but wasn't sure if it was just an allergy thing or not and the doctor administering the test said there's a 30% false negative rate. Thirty f***ing percent! And that's after waiting in line for almost 2 hours. What's the point?

Some other countries are using pooled spit tests. These seem to work really well for detecting the virus and testing large pools of people. Once you have a pool with the virus in it you can test with the PCR approach the individuals in the pool. Being used in the US and Europe - Health Canada hasn't approved yet... Evidence suggests the spit tests can work really well.

Crazy it took so long for the obvious stuff like this:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa

Big 10, after watching southern conferences play, decides to try it. Even though most of their schools are hot spots. This is a fascinating issue to me. If Pac12 returns i wonder if the CFL feels any pressure. But these arent bubbles like the NHL. I wonder if they can actually finish a season without disaster. Apparently off to a rough start

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Studies have demonstrated that wearing a mask reduces the severity of the virus. Guess it's one of those things that the worse exposure you have the more likely you are (excluding demographics) to have a more severe version.

I've also heard an epidemiologist speak about viral load and how being exposed to less/more of the virus results in a less/more severe case. He also spoke of the relevance of this with cases rising again but being largely mild - potentially because people are being exposed to little of the virus, but as it spreads the viral load will increase and we could start to see more worse cases again. The issue I see with that theory is I don't recall seeing that progression in the spring, but it's also possible milder cases just weren't getting caught then before the panic.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I can’t see us going back into a full lockdown. Maybe back to Phase 2 depending on how big the spike is. Regardless that border doesn’t look like it’s opening until next year... which I find slightly ridiculous since you can still fly.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I can’t see us going back into a full lockdown. Maybe back to Phase 2 depending on how big the spike is. Regardless that border doesn’t look like it’s opening until next year... which I find slightly ridiculous since you can still fly.
raw

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't really have an issue with restaurants and bars staying open at this time. (Strip clubs perhaps a different matter)

They have an incentive to maintain the restrictions that are in place or they get shut down and potentially go out of business.

The restaurants I have been to are extremely mindful of mask-wearing when moving around, hand sanitizing and contact tracing lists. Wait staff always have their masks in place.

I highly suspect that the indoor gathering transmission that is being scaled back occurs without any socially distancing or masks of any kind at any time. No one is policing or enforcing it, there are no systems in place to prevent it, and most people I think relax in familiar surroundings.

If we start seeing actual evidence of transmission that is contact traced back to a restaurant, then fine. As it stands, I'm supportive of this supposed double standard.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
That developing situation in Pembroke is a joke. Teachers and their unions are too busy bashing the provincial plans and guidelines, only to have the staff spread the virus and now one kid in infected. Way to go you bunch of idiots. Maybe the teachers had a nice back to school bash somewhere. On top of that, the infected teachers , according to reports I heard on CFRA, DID NOT WEAR MASKS. Good job, guys. But make sure you bitch and moan about class sizes, meanwhile they are spreading the virus to the kids.

One of my daughter's teachers has been taking his mask off, stating shit like " the mask is there to protect you from me anyways", and " I hate speaking with the mask on", and he also wears it improperly. Windows and doors closed too. I am going to call the school and put a stop to this

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
That developing situation in Pembroke is a joke. Teachers and their unions are too busy bashing the provincial plans and guidelines, only to have the staff spread the virus and now one kid in infected. Way to go you bunch of idiots. Maybe the teachers had a nice back to school bash somewhere. On top of that, the infected teachers , according to reports I heard on CFRA, DID NOT WEAR MASKS. Good job, guys. But make sure you bitch and moan about class sizes, meanwhile they are spreading the virus to the kids.

One of my daughter's teachers has been taking his mask off, stating shit like " the mask is there to protect you from me anyways", and " I hate speaking with the mask on", and he also wears it improperly. Windows and doors closed too. I am going to call the school and put a stop to this
CkP6bh8WsAALwst.jpg
7341189.jpg

And while your at it can you do something about tattoo's?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Ottawa finally crested 60, back down slightly, back to 60 and hit 90 with today's report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad