OT: Everything COVID19 - PART 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
don't think they will shut everything down again its just doesn't seem economical

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
They will continue to climb for the next 4-5 days, and then hopefully we will see the difference when we started the second wave. I think people are gearing up for the second wave, and I hope we will see the renewed commitment of people starting Sunday.

They are testing three times more than May, the previous high, so the more people getting tested and in isolation, might ultimately be a good thing as more people are affected and cognisant.

1 million people can follow all the rules, but you can have 90 positives a day from 10K anti-maskers, easily. It doesn't take much.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Likely related to so many kids getting tested before school.
Doesn't take much for a school to send a kid home and not allow them back until they have a negative test. Upset tummy? Call the parents to bring them for a test.

Good news is they are now doing appointments at brewers park, so people shouldn't be waiting more than about 1h30 to 2 h for the test.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

So... When I came back from the States and felt absolutely great I couldn’t get a test and return to work for 2 weeks because apparently it can be a false negative. But if I literally have symptoms and get a test and it’s negative then I can return back to work?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

So... When I came back from the States and felt absolutely great I couldn’t get a test and return to work for 2 weeks because apparently it can be a false negative. But if I literally have symptoms and get a test and it’s negative then I can return back to work?

giphy.gif

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Time for a little rant just cuz I’ve been holding it in. I just really don’t understand some of this stuff involving the States. I feel they are being completely ridiculous about this.

For starters: What I mentioned in my post above. Let me go to the states and get a damn test the moment I get back and be fine to go back to work once I test negative. None of this “well it could be a false negative” bs. Saves the time off work and literally saves the government $ for paying me to stay home. And yes, EI pays you for quarantine from returning from the States.

2: Why is it ok for us to fly down anywhere in the States while being around others, but we literally can’t cross the boarder alone in our own car. You would have much less risk of contamination

3: Americans not being able to come. I know most of you won’t give a shit about this in general. But why is it fine for me to go over and visit, but my gf can’t come back and quarantine with me. It’s not like our ICU’s are anywhere near clogged. If they are then by all means! Do everything you can to make people avoid contamination. But at this stage I think it’s ridiculous that the border is still closed. As long as you are 100% able to provide proof that you have a place to quarantine for 2 weeks and provide a reason to visit besides tourism you should be allowed in (and a temp check).

I understand we are trying to keep Canadians safe but come on. How long are we realistically going to be like this for? By all means make us keep wearing masks for a while for all I care. It’s a pretty easy thing to do. But stuff needs to loosen up. Again I know most of you won’t give a shit because majority of you probably don’t have anything at all to do with the states. Some of you may even think I’m an idiot now. But whatever, this shit is starting to annoy me.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Contact tracing apps anyone?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Yes, when you travel you know in advance there is a mandatory isolation.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Contact tracing apps anyone?
I went to get my kid tested (it was negative) and because my phone was low on batteries turned off bluetioth and wifi so she could play games on it for longer. It got me thinking that the contact tracing app probably would get tripped at a higher drequency for those of us who go to a testing center and could create a cycle given that it doesn't track location data so id have no way of knowing. That said, i probably should get tested if i were to get a hit off a contact at a testing facility even if i got a negitive result back from that vist, because any infection resulting from that contact would take a few days to be detectable...

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Yes, when you travel you know in advance there is a mandatory isolation.

And I’m fine with that. Since one of the apparent reasons is because it can be a false negative. I find that iffy but hey whatever.

But then it makes absolutely no sense for someone who literally has COVID symptoms to not have to quarantine if it’s a negative. That’s just getting ridiculous.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Time for a little rant just cuz I’ve been holding it in. I just really don’t understand some of this stuff involving the States. I feel they are being completely ridiculous about this.

For starters: What I mentioned in my post above. Let me go to the states and get a damn test the moment I get back and be fine to go back to work once I test negative. None of this “well it could be a false negative” bs. Saves the time off work and literally saves the government $ for paying me to stay home. And yes, EI pays you for quarantine from returning from the States.

2: Why is it ok for us to fly down anywhere in the States while being around others, but we literally can’t cross the boarder alone in our own car. You would have much less risk of contamination

3: Americans not being able to come. I know most of you won’t give a shit about this in general. But why is it fine for me to go over and visit, but my gf can’t come back and quarantine with me. It’s not like our ICU’s are anywhere near clogged. If they are then by all means! Do everything you can to make people avoid contamination. But at this stage I think it’s ridiculous that the border is still closed. As long as you are 100% able to provide proof that you have a place to quarantine for 2 weeks and provide a reason to visit besides tourism you should be allowed in (and a temp check).

I understand we are trying to keep Canadians safe but come on. How long are we realistically going to be like this for? By all means make us keep wearing masks for a while for all I care. It’s a pretty easy thing to do. But stuff needs to loosen up. Again I know most of you won’t give a shit because majority of you probably don’t have anything at all to do with the states. Some of you may even think I’m an idiot now. But whatever, this shit is starting to annoy me.
1. When you come back you may still be in incubation stage therefore the 14 day isolation. You may test negative during the incubation period and then be contagious later. 10 days would be more realistic.

2. We don’t control access to the US border, this is their decision. We only control re entry and rules upon return. The government can only issue travel advisories.

3. Same situation as 2. We control foreign access to our borders and don’t allow non essential access to our country. If our government could control the US border they would deny travel to the US by Canadians.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
And I’m fine with that. Since one of the apparent reasons is because it can be a false negative. I find that iffy but hey whatever.

But then it makes absolutely no sense for someone who literally has COVID symptoms to not have to quarantine if it’s a negative. That’s just getting ridiculous.
If you have symptoms then you are past incubation so the negative test would confirm no COVID-19.

Reactions: Rand0m

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
1. When you come back you may still be in incubation stage therefore the 14 day isolation. You may test negative during the incubation period and then be contagious later. 10 days would be more realistic.

2. We don’t control access to the US border, this is their decision. We only control re entry and rules upon return. The government can only issue travel advisories.

3. Same situation as 2. We control foreign access to our borders and don’t allow non essential access to our country. If our government could control the US border they would deny travel to the US by Canadians.

Makes sense , thanks for clarifying

Reactions: GCK

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Scientists are working on vaccines that spread like a disease. What could possibly go wrong? - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
Self-spreading vaccines are essentially genetically engineered viruses designed to move through populations in the same way as infectious diseases, but rather than causing disease, they confer protection. Built on the chassis of a benign virus, the vaccines have genetic material from a pathogen added to them that stimulates the creation of antibodies or white blood cells in “infected” hosts.
Now that would be something if they could spread the vaccine the same way as the virus. I wonder if the anti-maskers would suddenly change sides.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think thw whole idea is that you don't get the option to accept it pr not...

Lots of ethical questions and legal liability issues to sort through if they ever were to succeed in creating such a thing.
It will take time but like all things they want people to accept, the more they repeated the more people will demand it.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I've also heard an epidemiologist speak about viral load and how being exposed to less/more of the virus results in a less/more severe case. He also spoke of the relevance of this with cases rising again but being largely mild - potentially because people are being exposed to little of the virus, but as it spreads the viral load will increase and we could start to see more worse cases again. The issue I see with that theory is I don't recall seeing that progression in the spring, but it's also possible milder cases just weren't getting caught then before the panic.

Viral load refers to how much you are exposed to when you contract the disease. Wearing a mask will reduce that load. Catching it from a person while they wear a mask will reduce it further.

Your last statement is very important. Early on, only the really sick were counted as cases. Now we test far more and are finding people with mild symptoms. "Cases" in the spring are different than "cases" now, but they appear as the exact same thing on commonly used graphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad